“A fastfood atmosphere with Michelin quality food”

Tim Ho Wan, the Dim-Sum Specialists
Ranked #78 of 9,325 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Takeout
Neighborhood: Mong Kok
Reviewed January 1, 2012

Dim sum was magnificent. You can feel the chef had designed and cooked the food with passion. Service was average and you need to eat rather fast as long queue outside and not comfortable seating. Server spilled soy sauce on my bag and when I pointed out, the first thing she did was to wipe the table... May go back for the good food without bringing my handbag.

Reviewed January 1, 2012

Earing here was an interesting experience. We went to the one in IFC. Finding it was a challenge. It is located one floor below the check in counter but the signage is only in Chinese. The logo is 2 green dragons facing each other. The receptionist gave us a number. Numbers were called in Chinese so my husband was constantly asking if it was already our turn. When we were given a number, we were also given a pink ticket. It had a list of their dishes and we checked the ones that we wanted. Pink tickets were in English. It would have been helpful if there had been pictures showing the items. We guessed most of the stuff that we ordered, not sure what to expect.

The food was delicious. In particular, the pork buns were good. They were different from the usual white buns. There were two dishes in thin white rolls which were good but I can not remember what they were called. Perhaps a little more experience with their menu would make it easier to plan a meal there. The staff were efficient and smiling, though they spoke no English. The guests were predominantly locals. I would like to go back there on a future trip and become more familiar with their menu.

1  Thank Coellum
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I was suspicious about Michellin-Starred dim sum (I mean, how good can dim sum really be) so I decided I had to try it.

We got there 10 minutes before 10am (opening time) and was surprised to already see a queue around the corner. At 10am, the doors opened and the first 20 people got seated immediately (that's all the place can hold - it is very, very small). I got a number (#22) and was told to come back in 1 hour.

A veteran of the restaurant told me not to leave. If they call your number and you aren't there, then you lose your spot. I figured an hour wasn't too bad so we just waited.

At 12pm (2 hours later), they finally called number 22. Who-hoo! At the same time, they also put a sign up on the door that said they weren't giving out any more numbers before the day because they were already at 90 (that's all the give) and they figured seating #90 would put them at closing time of 10pm. Kind of unreal.

We were given an order form while waiting. We handed it to the lady upon entering. We were crammed into a little corner (the other patrons had to move out of the way to let us in). Upon seeing the picture menu inside, I decided to order two more dishes. Apparently, this is frowned up. I got a grumpy "uurgh" from the waitress but nonetheless, she obliged.

We ordered 7 dishes between the two of us which was enough. The food was great. I especially liked the rice and steamed pork with preservered vegetables (didn't sound that appetizing but it was yummy!) The shrimp dumplings were surprisingly tasty (even though they looked like "normal" shrimp dumplings). I also really enjoyed the sticky rice with pork and the steamed spareribs.

Overall, it was great to try - I didn't realize dim sum could be that tasty. And the price was right (our 7 dishes cost about US$18). Having said that, I'm glad I went, but I don't think I would do it again (unless I got a number and came back in a couple of hours).

2  Thank nelsoli
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Went there around 11AM and we were given a number and was ask to come back 3-4 hours later! It's well worth the wait though.. Everything is delicious! Dimsum at its best except for the steamed beef balls, it tasted weird!

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Yes you will have to wait to get a table, and it will be very crowded once you get in, and the staff is not the friendliest, but the food is just outstanding, well deserving of its Michelin star!

We went on a Monday night, walked through the Temple Street Night Market and then headed to Tim Ho Wan. There was already a line to get in, however it wasn't too long. Upon arriving you give your name, and are given a paper menu, the green one is in Cantonese and the Pink one is in English. They ask you to make your choices for dinner while you are waiting.

We ended up waiting about 45 minutes, which I am told is not long at all for this place. Once we were seated it was at the table right next to the cashier, which made paying the bill very easy :). We ordered 8 different choices, including two kinds of dumplings, the glutenous rice in the lotus leaf, carrot cake, and of course Char siu baau, barbecue pork buns.

I cannot say enough good things about the barbecue pork buns, they are just outstanding. They are baked, with a sugar coating on the outside, and delicious bbq pork on the inside. The glutenous rice is very good as well, wrapped in a lotus leaf, and stuffed with chicken and veggies, its is just delicious.

Apparently Tim Ho Wan is also famous for their chicken feet, and every table around us had an order of them, however i am not quite that adventurous, and my Cantonese friend i was dinning with doesn't like them, so we skipped them!

As I said earlier we ordered 8 different items, the bill for all of this was $118HKD, which is $15USD, an unbelievable value for food this good!

I can't wait for my next trip to Hong Kong, as Tim Ho Wan will definitely be one of the first places i go!!!