“Eye Opening in the Dark”

Dialogue in the Dark Hong Kong
Walking in the Darkness Experience in Hong Kong
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Experience an "Unseen" tour you never experience before. Unlike ordinary sight-seeing spots in Hong Kong, we offer a "dark" and inspiring experience. Please visit our website for more detail. PRE-BOOKING for English tour is essential as there are only a few English sessions daily. Purchase tickets online at our ticketing system before it is too late. Opening: Tue-Fri 10:00-19:30, English sessions: 11:30, 13:45, 17:00.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Stairs / elevator, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Eye Opening in the Dark”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

A very unique experience understanding how the disable live their daily lives. Made me feel that there is still a big improvement we can do to care for them.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
worldwide
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Best afternoon spent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

Don't overlook this. It isn't an experience you'll be able to find anywhere else. The guides, who are blind, are wonderful. You'll finally get a small sense of what it's like to be blind in Hong Kong.
Bring a little pocket change into the exhibit -- you can buy a drink in the dark.
It isn't the type of place you can show your friends photos of, but is probably the place that you will be able to tell the most stories about.

3 Thank wherearewenow
Singapore, Singapore
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“A very moving and different side of Hong Kong you'll ever experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Dialogue in the dark is by far one of the best experiences I've had in Hong Kong. We went with very low expectations as we knew almost nothing about DiD and we found this experience to be such a humbling and remarkable experience.

We take so many things for granted in our unforgiving and fast-paced world that we forget how important it is to walk in someone else's shoes for a change. Fumbling around in the dark for a short amount of time was nerve wrecking (I got lost a couple of times) and, at times, humorous (I found myself feeling the arms of people to find that of my partner's) but the thing that struck me the most was how insecure I was when I was unable to see what was around me. This experience definitely brought me one step closer to understanding the challenges that people who are visually impaired face on a daily basis and I have a profound respect for them. The strength and will that they have to live a "normal" existence with the tools that are available to them are simply incredible.

DiD would probably not be listed as the first on to do lists in Hong Kong but I would strongly encourage those travellers who want to experience a different side of Hong Kong to go for this.

1 Thank TravellingBeet
Kuching, Malaysia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 147 helpful votes
“Different Experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

This was an experience with a difference. We felt very close to our 2 teenage children during the 75 minutes total darkness session, as we were holding hands and staying very close to one another. Not bad, try it as a family.

3 Thank LemonJane
Toronto, Canada
141 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 291 helpful votes
“good experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2012

This was a very quirky experience. I really enjoyed it, in particular the street part of the experience. It gave me a good insight as to how difficult it is being a visually impaired person, especially in a city like Hong Kong. I know some other reviews have indicated that they didn't learn anything. I think like all things, some people will find this very rewarding and educational, others will find it less so. I also think it is something that may take some time to reflect upon. I think it's a bit about attitude. I would agree that if you are tight on time, this is not something I would do to see Hong Kong. For others who have seen the city a few times, this is a good thing to do that's a bit off the beaten track. I had a good of 4 in mine, so I thought it was a good size for the tour.

Visited November 2012
3 Thank savvy_traveller175
lcheung1, Manager at Dialogue in the Dark Hong Kong, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Thanks Savy Traveller!

It's very true that it takes some time to reflect upon, especially after the experience ! While we agree that our attraction is horrible at letting you 'see' Hong Kong, we hope you can definitely feel it through all your different senses!

Thanks for your support!