“Hong Kong Weekend”

Y Loft (Youth Square)
Columbus, Ohio
“Hong Kong Weekend”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Taking the Hong Kong Airport Express was a smart move, taking me quickly and cheaply to central station in about 20 minutes. The Hong Kong Metro (MTR) is just as clean and efficient as their counterpart here in Korea, so I took the HK Island line to the last stop, Chai Wan. Having booked a room at the same hostel that the rest of the tour was staying at, I had printed directions in Chinese that proved to be useless. Cabbies and parking attendants alike were stumped in helping me find the Y-Loft, which turned out to be right under my nose. Once I found the Youth Square complex and the adjoining Y-Loft hotel/hostel, I quickly checked in and cranked up the A/C as the temperature and humidity had made me a hot, sweaty, tired traveler.

The room was clean, modern, and about 20 minutes from the hectic central district, so it was also fairly quiet. After watching a few episodes of an amusing Chinese police/action/drama called “Pretty Police Woman” and “The Hong Kong Society for the Aged Special Good Time Buddies“, I drifted off dreaming of sexy Asian policewomen and thoughts of exploring Hong Kong on my own in the morning until the tour group arrived.

The Y-loft is located in a terrific complex and the bi-lingual staff is wonderful, too. I highly recommend this as a inexpensive option without sacrificing comfort or amenities.

Room Tip: Have the staff show you around the entire complex when you arrive. The elevators and lay-out of the...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank TheRockTraveler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Petaling Jaya
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013 via mobile

Y-Loft is very near to MTR station, easily accessible via foot over bridge from the station (Exit E).

It is situated on level 12. Hotel lobby is nice, staff is welcoming, polite and english speaking.

Rooms are quite big with LCD TV, writing table, fridge, personal WiFi for each room, electronic safe and wardrobe. Bathroom was clean and big enough with facility of hot & cold water.

I liked rooms very much because I have seen in Hong Kong hotel rooms are very small & some without window.

What I don't like is no breakfast. But since its like an hostel its okay.

1 Thank Nikhil B
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013 via mobile

Will return? Definitely. Staff can speak English well. Spacious clean room. Bring your own toileteries. but if you forget to bring some, you can buy in nearby convenience stores. Location is off the city, at the east end of Blue line MTR Hongkong, but public transport is nearby. Wanna go to Stanley, take public light bus no.16x.
Causewaybay Sogo of Wan chai pier?Bus 8P.
Central? Bus 780
HK airport? Bus A12 circular route on Wan Tsui road (Chak Tsui house)
Wanna shop or dim sum by walking distance? go to New Jade Mall or Hing Wah plaza..
Or ....you can take MTR in ChaiWan train station to go anywhere in Hong Kong. Don't forget to buy octopus card and top up the value. You can use it in many public transport and return and refund it after you left HK.

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2013

This review is for our stay during the last week of December 2012. As per usual, I read through every single review before making the decision to stay here. From the relatively positive reviews available here and elsewhere, I knew that this would be a decent choice, and that proved to be correct. I apologise for the lengthy review, which I didn’t expect to end up being so long!

HOTEL ROOM: We booked a normal twin room (without a balcony), and for the price we paid, it was definitely good value for money!

Beginning with space: Any traveller to Hong Kong should be aware that land is very expensive, and therefore, it is very common for hotel and especially hostel rooms to be as small as they can be. To think otherwise would be very unrealistic, and you would surely come away very disappointed even though you really shouldn't have been in the first place, as that is the norm. Therefore, to have enough space for 2 adults to be able to comfortably walk around the room without bumping into each other, open up a suitcase properly on the ground without needing to utilise the bed, etc. is a pleasant and most welcome surprise! A definite plus when it comes to space!

To be realistic, yes, I have certainly stayed in accommodation with more spacious rooms than this, but, by Hong Kong standards (and don't forget that this is technically a hostel!), this is pretty excellent. I have stayed in hostels in Hong Kong before, and there's no way you can even compare Y-Loft with them in terms of space. Like others, I think the Y-Loft can be considered as a budget hotel, as it presents all of the amenities and facilities like some hotels, bar a few. I’m sure there are hotels out there with smaller rooms than the Y-Loft!

Aside from space, the beds were firm – Once again, another positive for us! However, the pillows were very soft, which is a positive for others, but not for me who also likes firm pillows. I’m sure you could have requested more pillows, but we didn’t.

The rooms were cleaned daily, but a tip here: If you don’t like to be woken up early, and by early, I mean, before 9AM, I recommend you hang the ‘Do Not Disturb’ sign on your door until you are ready to head out the door at whichever time you so please. The reason being is that, and I’ve found this to be the case in other places I’ve stayed at in HK as well, the housekeeping staff will come quite early to check whether you want the room cleaned – a good thing if you’re an early riser, but probably not if you don’t want others to catch you in your pyjamas!

The rooms still look relatively fresh (the Y-Loft is only a few years old now). They have a flat screen TV (they don’t have a wide selection of TV channels, but there are still some English-speaking channels like Pearl), kettle (no tea bags), safe for valuables, and free wi-fi. Yes, like others have mentioned, the wi-fi is not too good in the rooms, but, considering there are hotels in HK that charge for wifi, I’m not sure I can really complain. One trick I found that seemed to work is switching off the wifi at the wall socket/power point. Once I flicked the switch, the wi-fi seemed to work perfectly, until the next time … but, by then, flicking the switch became the norm and was a quick and easy way to get things working again.

One good thing about the Y-Loft is the fact that they have signs stating very clearly that silence is strictly observed between 11PM-8AM. This indicates that Y-Loft is not a ‘party’ hostel, so, you might want to look elsewhere (although, most hostels or guesthouses in HK are not ‘party’ hostels, anyway). One note here: Please do not stand outside the corridor and have loud conversations or knock loudly because you can clearly hear the sounds, as we did when one frustrating person on one particular morning kept trying to knock and wake up a fellow guest in one of the rooms close to ours before 8AM (however, they seemed to have stopped shortly after, so, I am not sure whether this is attributed to staff being called down to silence the person who seemed to have moved out towards the elevators where noise is minimised, or they simply just gave up). However, we could hardly hear anything in regards to noise from neighbouring rooms.

In terms of the bathroom, the toilet, basin (very large!), and shower are all separated. The shower is extremely powerful, which is definitely excellent, as I really dislike weak showers. They do provide you with some liquid soap, but, you should bring or purchase your own shampoo and conditioner, as well, as bringing along or purchasing your own toiletries like toothbrushes, toothpaste, etc. I believe they utilise space well with nooks for cups and toiletries beside the basin, and space for shampoo and conditioner bottles in the shower.

LOCATION: This is where many raise negative points about the Y-Loft, but, I think that if you know full well what you are booking, it should hardly be a surprise or disappointment. The Y-Loft is located in Chai Wan, a residential neighbourhood on Hong Kong Island. It is not in the middle of hot shopping or tourist sight-seeing hotspots. It is the first/last station on the Hong Kong Island MTR line, so, as you can imagine, it is going to take you an amount of time to reach Causeway Bay, Wanchai, Central, Tsim Sha Tsui, Mongkok, etc. This was not an issue for us at all, as the MTR station is no more than a five or so minute walk away.

There may have been changes since reviews about the confusion over the Y-Loft’s location, but, I did not find reaching the Y-Loft to be difficult (more below). It is close to the New Jade Shopping Centre, an everyday kind of shopping centre, so, this is good for those who want to shop like locals might. There are shops like Bossini, Fortress, Sasa, etc., and eateries like Maxim’s MX, etc. We stayed in the building opposite the main one, and directly opposite (behind) the lift on ground level that we got out of was two restaurants. The one with purely Chinese characters (no English name and to the left of the one that did have an English name along with its Chinese one) was jam-packed every time we saw it, so, it must have been serving some good food!

Once again, know what to expect in terms of location, if you are considering the Y-Loft. Go with the right expectations in the sense that you are prepared to live away from the overwhelming hordes of HK people and tourists in places like Causeway Bay and Tsim Sha Tsui, or else you will be sorely (but I don’t think you should be, if you know the reality beforehand) disappointed.

TRANSPORT: The best transport to get around Hong Kong is the MTR, which the Y-Loft is close to. If you are leaving the Airport, there are many options like taxis from the official taxi rank, the Airport Express to Hong Kong Station with a transfer by taxi or MTR to Chai Wan (this is what we did – if you are planning to catch the Airport Express, take advantage of the special group offers for 2, 3 or 4 persons travelling together, which we did as it was cheaper than individual tickets), or the A12 bus (get off the bus at the 28th bus stop if going from the Airport to Y-Loft, and get on the bus at the 7th bus stop along the route if returning to the Airport from Y-Loft – this might change in the future, if the bus routes are changed).

With the Airport Express, we transferred onto the MTR to Chai Wan (not difficult, even with luggage, but, depending on which time you arrive, be prepared for the crowds. This won’t be a good option if you have children with you or lots of luggage, so, consider a taxi or the A12 bus instead). Take Exit A, which will see you going through New Jade Shopping Centre. You will see a sign pointing you forward to Y-Loft, and just keep going until you pass through another set of doors leading you out to the walkway, and to your right is the Y-Loft building. The posts in the walkway have been covered with Y-Loft pictures of facilities available, so, you can’t really miss where to go. Also, once you get closer, you should see a massive notice on the wall stating that the main lobby is on the 12th Floor. From there on 12th Floor, turn left to reception.

On our return back to the Airport, we took a taxi that we had booked. The taxi arrived downstairs in the small car parking space between the Main building and the hostel building where our room was located. Taxis are inexpensive in HK and not difficult to use, although, you may wish to have the Y-Loft’s address ready in traditional Chinese, in case of any possible difficulties in language that may arise.

SERVICES & FACILITIES: Following all the necessary paperwork upon check-in, a staff member showed us to our room. This is probably done because of how confusing the building (of which there are 2 separate but connected ones) layout may appear to be. Once you get used to everything, it’s perfectly fine and not difficult to navigate. As we were not in the main building, we found later on it was easier just to walk further down after passing the main building to catch the direct lift up to our floor.

The Y-Loft does have a small gym with only a few pieces of equipment, but I didn’t use it during our stay. It was pretty quiet every time I passed it, so, might be good if you prefer to work out on your own. This is on the 12th Floor (close to reception), right beside one of the two laundries, where you can access the money-operated washing machines and dryers, as well as, the free iron and ironing board. Both the laundry and gym are only open from 8AM until 10PM (if I remembered correctly), so, make sure to get both out of the way, if you are planning to use those facilities. One warning is to be very careful with the iron because, and this is especially if you use it on the ‘high’ function, it heats up pretty quickly and to an extreme level of heat too, which could certainly see you burn clothes composed of thin materials! I don’t think I’ve ever come across an iron that can be so powerfully hot like that!

Included in the small envelope with our room keys was a 10% discount voucher for Ocean Park and another small slip about Disneyland (I can’t remember if it was a discount though). Although we did not end up using these, they were most appreciated.

The Y-Loft does offer printing at a small cost, and there is also a computer with internet access (users are limited to 30 minute sessions at a time) directly outside the elevator on the 12th Floor. There is a small souvenir shop directly opposite reception as well.

FACILITIES WE DID NOT USE (and hence, can't comment on): Purchasing tickets to attractions like Ocean Park via reception, gym, walking track, and on-site cafes/restaurants.

CONCLUSION: Overall, I think this is definitely a solid choice, particularly for those on a budget, but have no desire to stay in cramped quarters and appreciate hotel-style rooms with s-p-a-c-e (at least, more so than even some hotel rooms in Hong Kong might offer!)! Once again, be realistic about its location by factoring in more travel time, but with the MTR practically minutes away, you will be off and away in no time. If you are, then, I believe you should appreciate the Y-Loft like we did – It is certainly more like a hotel than a hostel, so, don’t worry, if you’re not typically one to stay in hostels!

One word about PRICE – It’s a good idea to contact the Y-Loft directly to compare their prices with those offered on sites which the Y-Loft appears on (including Wotif.com and Agoda.com). If I hadn’t delayed on making my booking, I would have got a better price than what I had paid for. Out of these two third-party websites, I found Wotif to be the one to consistently offer cheaper prices, once you found out the total price listed on Agoda, so, definitely double-check. Considering our stay included New Year’s Eve (which is the night where other hotels pushed up their prices to something much higher than usual, as to be expected), the price was exactly the same each night. Another definite positive!

Would I return? If I was on a budget, then, yes, it is definitely worth considering for future trips!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
18 Thank breath-of-life
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Found the 'hostel' with little difficulty. Staff were friendly and most spoke English (although we would not have had any problems conversing in Cantonese with them).I requested for extra pillows and they were brought up to our room very quickly. There's a bar fridge and kettle provided but you need to bring you own tea/coffee as these are not porovided for.

Coveniently located with the MTR station within walking distance, linked via a pedestrian bridge that is covered all the way so there's no fear of rain.There's also an abundance of eating places around the area so you're spolit for choice since breakfast is not included in the room package. You do, however have the option of eating at the cafe housed in the hostel on the 12th Flr and can work on your laptap there whilst waiting for your food to be prepared as the wireless signal here is much stronger.

I do agree however that the wireless access in the room is a bit touch and go...but I love that the room is so much bigger than any of the other hotels I've stayed in in HK previously and also less crowded and much less expensive....

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank caixian8
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here several times, and it's convenient to be close to the MTR and have a laundry room in the hotel. However, if you depend on Internet access for work, you'll have to find another place to connect. The wireless here is simply a disaster. It works only intermittently, and then only very slowly when it does work.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Ray M
Christchurch, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Very clean, excellent service by the staff, I wasn't expecting it to be more like a hotel than a hostel. Very convenient to transportation, a few steps away from the MTR rail line so it was just easy to hop on a train and just go. I loved the shower, as it dipped into the ground and so didn't have to worry about it going out of the room. The design is very modern. The beds are very hard, which was just perfect for me and I slept we'll every night. I gave it a 4 star rating because of the location.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business