“Excellent location and reflective of price”
Review of Oi Suen Guesthouse

Oi Suen Guesthouse
Ranked #274 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed April 29, 2013

This "hotel" is in the heart of the action in monk kong.
It was a little challenging to find so I asked someone local for help. After a while she realized that we were in fact standing at the entrance to the hotel.

The hotel has a sign that says dr. Kenneth and then underneath on a small laminated piece of paper it says sincere house. I did loads of research before I arrived at the hotel on where to go and how to find it so was annoyed with myself.

Check in was done very efficiently by the manager rainbow.

When i made my booking I received an email I received a reply from Rainbow advising me that theropod was SMALL. The email went further to warn you to tell your partner or family that the room is SMALL.

But the room size is reflective of the price. If you want a five star hotel with a coffee machine in your room - then book and PAY for one.

I found the room to be clean and always had hot water.
The room was a little noisy but that was due to some revolting parents who brought their kids back every night after 23h30.
This was certainly not the hotels fault but I did feel better after I wagged my finger at the little brat who was running up and down the passage screaming.

I ate out ever night within 700 Meters of the hotel.
I will be dreaming of the chicken korma and Thai satay noodles I ate!

When I returned to the hotel late at at night I never felt scared.
Heck I was one of two million people out in monk kong on the street...

The pace of this area is insane. The location is the biggest plus factor for this hotel.
I would return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
7  Thank Jenny S
There are newer reviews for Oi Suen Guesthouse

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have been a frequent traveller but this is my first out of the country tour.. since me and my colleagues are really on a tight budget, we opted this guesthouse amongst other pricey accommodation in HK.

the place might be too difficult to find since the entrance is really small and there is no sign outside. But if you will just follow the screenshots provided in the FB account, you wouldnt be lost.

we reserved a room for 5 pax but then the room given to us for our first night was really not good. Aside from the fact that it is too small for a group of 5 people, the comfort room is tremendously small. also, the drainage is leaking that's why when we all took a bath the next morning, the room was flooded. but we dont have the idea that this is not the room that we booked.. we are just surprised that the manager told us that they will be transfering to a different room the next morning..

the second room that we got was pretty a lot better than the first one.. it is huge enough andbthe comfort room is bigger and better..

they also provide discounted tickets to almost all the attractions in HK.. which helped us a lot in time, effort and budget..

the staff, though we literally had a hard time talking to her since she cant speak and understand english is very nice.. she taught us the directions on how to go to the places that we had for our itinerary.. can you imagine, someone telling you directions to places whom you both dont have a common language?? but then she was able to giveus directions and we were able to understand it.. hats off to both of us.. haha

one thing i love about the place is its accessible to almost everything.. the ladies market is just a walking distance.. same with MTR.. fastfood chains.. streetfood vendors.. etc..

the place may not be as luxurious as the others, but remember, you get what you paid for..

• Stayed: November 2012
5  Thank nicolecentric
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Before I begin i'd like to mention that i'm a frequent traveller who has stayed in budget accommodation all over the world. I'd like to think I have a understanding of what you should and shouldn't be getting from cheaper hotels/guesthouses.

Firstly the place is very difficult to find despite using their map provided on the website. It is located on the 8th floor above a department store but there are no signs to direct you whatsoever.

Once we managed to find the place and after queuing 20 mins to use the lift (few lifts, many floors and plenty of backpackers moving luggage around) we were informed the rooms we had booked weren't available. Instead of 3 single en-suite rooms we were offered 1 single en suite, 1 single room 5 floors up in a different building and 1 which can only be described as a cupboard. Naturally we were unhappy with this and after about an hour of trying to explain this to a non English speaker we finally got to speak to the manager who offered us a double room and the single en-suite. This was not ideal but after having already wasted so much time of our holiday already we reluctantly accepted.

The rooms themselves are small as can be expected however the double room we were given was ridiculously hot due to the air conditioning being broken. The lady's response was "it's ok, as we can just open the window"!. If you've never been to Hong Kong before I can confirm it's incredibly noisy on the streets at night.

Also worth mentioning that a few times when we returned at night there were some 'shady' looking people standing around the entrance which would have been a lot more unsettling if we were a smaller party.

The good points were it is very handy for the metro/MTR, free wi-fi and there is a lot of tourist information available inside the guesthouse. However my advice would be to look elsewhere and we seriously regretted not spending that little bit more. With a delayed flight, trying to find the place and sorting out the room situation we lost half a day exploring this fascinating country (we only had 3 days there)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
9  Thank 201MichaelL201
oisuen, General Manager at Oi Suen Guesthouse, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2013

Hi Michael,

Thanks for reserving our room through online.As you know,you sent you 3 emails to ask for the reconfirm over a month,but we didn't receive any reply from you.We would advise all our guests the best way to come even don't do homework on finding our location.And we still did arrange you the rooms to stay and everything.

We 100% arranged you the room at same building and after a night even changed you all rooms at same floor and even free upgraded one to twin bed room.For the first night of air-conditing 100% works,you are not allowed to open the window and air-con at the same time which is absolutely not environmental for our lovely world.The air-con will never be cool if keep opening the window.

Last but not least,we would really clearly clarify that people standing downstair around the entrance is just waiting for minibus,eating or waiting people. Here's no one will grasp you to buy things.We very welcome any guests have any questions to ask us instead of thinking too much to make those untruth review.Most staff at the hostel are women,and we even back home after 1-2am on the street which is absolutely safe surround here. This area is bright and so many people for 24/7.

Deeply remember the last day all staff is here,but you didn't ask us any question about the transportation back to the airport. When we found you walked to the wrong direction,we even run to you and guide you the right direction and clearly showed you again.There's no one in purpose to make you delay if you have good preparation or received the advise.

We are just a small family guesthouse and we never ever expect people would appreciate what we do in our true heart. We would recommend people to pay more and stay at the hotel if they are looking for something perfect. Thanks again.

Oi Suen Guesthouse promise: clean,safety,friendly staff and great location.

Thanks. :)

Best Regards,
Ms. Ellen aka Rainbow
Oi Suen Guesthouse Manager

Reviewed April 4, 2013 via mobile

Really nice place super friendly value 4 money Ellen in the office was excellent could not do enough to help 1 of the best places I've stayed very clean rooms with free local calls room was cleaned daily really enjoyed my stay they looked after my bags when I checked out an let me use their shower at no cost b4 the airport really made my stay in Hong Kong will stay again

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Chriswyatt
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This is our third to visit hong kong, but first time to stay at Oi Suen Guest House.
We have experienced to stay in the small room in Hong Kong, so we don't really care about the size.We came during the Chinese New Year which is so expensive. It was hard to find a good review with good rate's hostel.

However, we found Oi Suen and it gave us surprised.

It is located at the very old building and the entrance is hard to find, so we suggest that should do a very good research at the google map first. It is right next to a money exchange. And they got two entrance which is "Fa Yuen Street" (24hours) and "Tung Choi Street" (7am-12midnight) and you would easily to get the wrong direction to get into the "Sin Tat Shopping Center".

When we enter to Oi Suen, we felt it's clean, very clean. And there're some aunts to work here.
They showed us all facilities, drinking water, free wifi, hot shower, air-con,building's entrance, password of the main door(I like!), they sell discount tickets... ... very detail. Just remind that they don't provide towel. It is $20 for selling one towel and they said it is the reason of environmental. For us, it has no problem because we always bring our own towel.

More surprised, they have a notice to show how to get to the airport in room which is so helpful and we never find this in the other hostels.

The aunts can't speak English, but they gave us a good pictures of everything we need even travel tips on their wall.

Again, their rooms are small, but value for money. We won't spend so much money on a room just for sleep.
Will i come back, why not? At least, their smile is hard to find in the face of Hong Kong people. I like their smile.

Room Tip: Research the location at Google Map first.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chowjoeyeung
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Location:
The location is quite good as bus and MTR are easily accessible there. Mong Kok is very lively at night, most of the shops open in the afternoon or evening time. A good place to eat and shop.

Room:
I stayed in a triple room with a double and single bed. To be frank, the double bed seem a little bit too small than the usual. If there were three obese, huge sized person in the room, it will be a very cramp room for them. The toilet was the smallest toilet i ever seen in the world. As for cleanliness, they provide housekeeping so is still not too bad. I guess they just tidy the bed and makes the room look neat. There are television, air condition and heater. Toiletries are provided. Mineral water are in the common area. There is no wifi in my room, have to go to the reception to use wifi. It can be a bit noisy at night so it might not be a good place for light sleeper.

Service:
The staff are friendly. The security guards are very friendly too.The staff sold us discounted tickets to various attraction in HK.

Overall, I may consider to stay in the hostel again. A pleasant experience over there.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank AbigailToh
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was my first time to Hong Kong so it was a lesson. I will split this review into 3 parts: clarifications, positives, and negatives:

Clarifications:
1. This guest house in a large 16 story building the contains other guest houses, hotel, and businesses. Space is scarce in Hong Kong so this arrangement is common.
2. Finding the place: the entrance is very hard to find. Easiest way to find the entrance is to look for a 7-11 next the Spanish Hourly Hotel. Entrance to guest house is right across the 7-11.
3. Size: the rooms are tiny. But hong kong is crowded. Everything is squeezed in. You will not be given a big room.
4. Bare bones: this is bare bones. Its clean and not a hotel. If you want luxury, spend $90 more for a real hotel.

Positives:
1. Easy access to airport. Simply get on A21 bus at airport, get off at stop #6 and you will be a block way.
2.Polite staff: really class lady was running it.
3. Clean: no dirt and no disgusting bed critters that bite

Negatives:
1. Tiny rooms but this is hong kong.
2. Hard to find: make sure to print out a map or bring a phone GPS.
3. Kind of noisy: the building is one with many other guest houses/flats.

I would stay here again. Hong Kong is expensive and crowded. But this place was cool.

Room Tip: The room on the 16th floor was good.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo