“Great location and friendly service”
Review of Oi Suen Guesthouse

Oi Suen Guesthouse
Ranked #275 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed December 31, 2012

Both my husband and I only want a decent place to sleep as most of the time, we wouldn't be in the hostel. Pros - great location at Mongkok; easy access to airport via bus A21 so that we don't have to carry the luggages up and down the stairs at the train stations; easy to do shopping and fill up the stomach; friendly lady boss; water at the reception (you don't have to buy or boil every time); brochures for easy reference. Cons - small room; though location is great, it can be quite irritating at times to wait for the lift at Sincere House as there are so many guesthouses in that building, pillow maybe too thin too. We will still come back to this guesthouse next time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank blueblue0702
There are newer reviews for Oi Suen Guesthouse

Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed there for nearly two weeks and so moved into quite a few rooms.
While from the outside this place looks rather unpleasing the rooms (although quite small) are quite clean, most rooms have a TV.
The bathrooms are perhaps the worst part of my stay.They do tell you that the bathrooms are quite small but I definately wasn't expecting this. There is barely enough room to turn so for most of the time I stood outside when i brushed my teeth, etc.
That being said, the service was excellent. A young woman by the name of Rainbow was extremely helpful. As ours was a last minute booking she spent a lot of time trying to make room for us. If you are looking for a place to go, eat or shop, just ask her! Her English is also pretty good.
The entire building is filled with guesthouses of the sort.
Location is great go down stairs and across the road is a 7/11, plenty of places to eat and a short walk will take you to a street market with okenty to buy.

Room Tip: Ask for a private bathroom, if you want more space you could always ask for a room for an extra pers...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed December 5, 2012

We took A21 and walk less than 10min to find this building (5min to Mongkok MTR). There is a 7-11 directly opposite the 24hrs Fa Yuen Street entrance. The other entrance at Tung Choi Street have a stall selling snacks & smelly toufu.

First time stay in hostel, when we come in the 5 bedder room, we are abit of shock (the photo on their website must be taken years back). Its at few doors away (another section) from place where the receptionist is located.
The room have rock stoned sprayed wall looks like a one room flat 15yrs back. Bedsheet thou clean have few black stains, the floor have few chips which we originally thought is dirt. The toilet sink area has chipped tiles. Can hear the toilet tap of other floors and smell "funny" smell at times. the single unit aircon blows directly to one of the upper side of bundbed (think we didnt sleep as there are 4 of us only).

We have new bedsheets on Day 1 and day 3 of our 5 days stay. Can arrange to pay HKD100 if want to change bedsheets daily.Towel can be rented at HKS20 per piece. There's a pot for you to boil your own water to drink, 4 pairs of slippers n 4 plastic cups for drinks & 4 big cups for rinising mouth when brushing teeth, 5 clothes hanger, one roll of toilet paper,built-in shampoo and body wash, one 14"+ like TV on top of the cabinet. Woke up early as can hear neighbors using toilet/push luggage abt 7+ and on n off they check-out.

But compare the price of hostel , this is a reasonable price for 4 pax compared to the Hotel price which is easily double as its the "winter" season. It took us about 2 days to adjust. We got HKD20 cheaper for disneyland tickets from hostel and booked a net HKD240 taxi from hotel to airport (market price abt $280+ including tollway). They also gave us a map on arrival. There's free wifi in room. We can ask Ellen when we need help (she speaks English & Cantonese) while the aunty speaks Mandrin , Hokkien & some cantonese.

We can walk to Ladies market in 5 min, Flower market in 10min. Take MTR to disneyland (after transfer at Lai King & Sunny Bay) takes abt 35min., MTR to TST (Science Musuem) 10min. Location wise is good . To cross over to Hong Kong island side probable takes abt 30min+.

If I come again during Winter season with my family, I would pay more to try other 3 star hotel( instead of hostel) . But for those on a budget and ok with small rooms /toilets & noise, think can consider this place.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank jenlkj
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Having never stayed at a guesthouse before, I had been very apprehensive about the quality of our accommodation. But I needn't have worried: although our room was much smaller than what an average hotel room would have been, everything was very clean, there was (to my surprise, since I didn't book the place) free wifi and discount tickets to theme parks and a taxi-calling service. Toilet paper, towels, hairdryers, scales and shampoo/body wash was provided, as long as you asked. It was also very safe; in past hotels (four-starred ones too) our belongings have been taken before, but here they touched nothing, besides to move stuff when cleaning. Maybe it was because I grew up in Hong Kong, but the way this place was run, it felt a little like home. Very comfortable and safe. And there's the added bonus of good conversation! I got to chat with the staff here a lot, something you'd never get at a four-starred hotel. Everybody was so friendly to us, especially the…manager? I'm not sure what she was, actually, but she's called Ellen and she's so accommodating and lovely and funny - if she's there when you are, make sure to ask her about places to eat and shop around the area, she practically knows everything and will always make time to help you out.

We were there for 9 days in the first half of November - and really, at such prices, you shouldn't complain that the rooms are too small or the walls are an unattractive shade. The shower+toilet combination did take a day for me to get used to, though. And as for the 'doorman', he's meant to be there to make sure nobody dodgy goes in; it's protocol in most big buildings in Hong Kong. Residents are let in first because they're outnumbered by like…seven guesthouses and it would be really unfair if they were made to wait like a tourist. Get used to it, I guess. On that note, if you're really high maintenance, you shouldn't be staying at a guesthouse in the first place. It's Hong Kong, so it's really a package deal, along with the hectic lifestyle, cheap food, crazy traffic, thousands of people and cramped, small spaces - and the experience is pretty authentic. So really if you're super high maintenance, dare I suggest you not stay in Hong Kong for too long. Sometimes people get a bit brusque and snappy here, but that's just a cultural difference, they don't actually target you because you're a tourist - you're just in the way. The only thing I would say was a negative is that sometimes it gets a bit warmer than comfortable (esp in summer) because the air-conditioning isn't fantastic, but hey - you get what you paid for. Besides that our stay was completely comfortable and very safe and I would definitely come here again. The location is great, Ladies' Market is literally down the street, Argyle Centre and the MTR is a minute walk away. There are also great little eateries nearby, and very cheap shopping arcades.

Tips: It's on the 8th floor of Sincere House (Sin-si in Cantonese if you're asking for directions and can speak a little Mandarin/Cantonese), and although there are two entrances (one is only open until midnight!) they're both to the side and tiny silver doors, so take note. We didn't realise how big Argyle Street was when we told the cabbie where we wanted to go from the airport, so to be safe tell them Fa Yuen Street as well as Argyle (that's the 24 hour entrance). They cater for a lot more things than advertised, so don't be afraid to ask. Don't be afraid to talk to them either, especially Ellen, who will happily chat with you about anything. I kind of miss this place already, actually, and we leave tomorrow.

Room Tip: If you get claustrophobic, ask for a room with a window. It's generally nothing to worry about t...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
7  Thank kurochuu
Reviewed November 5, 2012 via mobile

A relative booked this room for us. We stayed in a room for 4. It was basic a bunk bed and a small double. I noticed the awful green walls and the fact there was no space to move around. We got settled. Thank goodness for the high beds to fit our suit cases in. The staff was ok. Although she could not speak English or cantonese ( languages I can). Rainbow the girl that everyone raves about on these review was really nice a friendly. Pity she was not there most of the time and it was another older lady. She was fine until I asked for more pillows and she told me she did not have any. She grudgingly gave me another pillow when I told her we didn't even have one each. The room was clean, and fairly comfortable once everyone was in bed. We had a window, but it was useless as the view looked out to opposite flats that we're disgusting, it didn't even let day light in. Our room was no.1 which the reception was right outside not good cause everytime the phone rings we can hear it. There were these cracks in the toilet ceiling and bedroom. Everyday I checked to make sure it wasn't getting bigger. This review sounds rather negative but it gets better. Lol on arrival to the guest house we were tired after a long plane ride from uk with lots of luggage a tired young kids we arrived at the apartment. We were greeted by a guard?? Lift man don't really know what to call him. There was a queue for the lift. We were physically pushed aside with some other people by this man whilst he shouted" stand aside and let residents use lift first" charming !! One night me Andy daughter went out to buy some food, when we got back the lift was broke omg!!! We had to walk the stairs with the poor lighting, dirty walls and broken glass on the doors it was like a bloody horror film. Before we left we asked to see the bigger rooms and they were much nicer. Oh one last thing was everytime someone smoked all the smoke got sucked Into my room. Not very pleasant :(( on the plus side it made me appreciate my stay at my next hotel for the last few nights in hong kong alot lot more. In comparison it wasn't even that cheap to stay in the guest house it was only cheap because they allowed 5 of us sleep in a room they catered for 4. The room was smaller than my room in the next hotel for 2 people. The location was great for shopping and eating, good if you like busy bustling places. Lol guest house was surrounded by hotels you can hire by the hour :)) don't know if I would go back to the guest house. We didn't get any towels and half the time had no loo roll lol. Thank god had plenty of tissues!!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed November 2, 2012

If you are used to paying these prices for four-star accommodation in south-east Asian cities, adjust your expectation to the fact that this is Hong Kong and you will find that this is a pretty good value place.

The guest house is on the 8th floor of a real Kowloon tenement building, so as soon as you arrive you are getting a pretty authentic experience! Tip : To find the place, facing Sincere House from Argyle Street, you need to go round the right side of the block and just around the corner is a communal entrance with post boxes, a concierge and lifts to all floors.

Room is small and I was in room 4 with no windows, but has all you need, is very clean. I have no complaints at all. Staff mostly do not speak English, but are super friendly and genuinely seem to care about the place and the business. They do not take credit cards, which took me a bit by surprise as I reserved my room on the internet by card, so do take cash to pay.

It is a little noisy, but I certainly had no problem sleeping, as mentioned by a few other reviews.

If you are OK with staying at a Kowloon guest house, I would definitely recommend this one.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Alan_Gates
Reviewed October 23, 2012

we've stayed before in at least 5 guesthouses in the building, and this is one of the best we've stayed at in terms of cleanliness, convenience, and easy communication with the friendly manager.

our room was small, which is standard for hong kong rooms, but the room was quite clean, and we slept well enough considering that the room had no windows. air conditioning was okay, hot water was steady, but you need to turn on the switch for the heater for at least 10 minutes before taking a shower, which is normal for the guesthouses in sincere house

oi sue is very well located in argylle street. there is a local bus stop right in front of the building. the stop to the airport is about a 3 minute brisk walk away.

Room Tip: one of the staff from another guesthouse said it's cheaper to book rooms at sincere house via ho...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business