“Great deal”

Oi Suen Guesthouse
Ranked #262 of 719 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Great deal”
Reviewed August 20, 2012 via mobile

If u r on a budget this is the right place.
It is very small but remember it is hong kong. It is absolutely clean!!!!
Great location & friendly staff!
Highly recommended and definitely will come again.

• Stayed February 2012
5 Thank Emilyjoong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Last may'12 go with my family,after review from a lot of comment from Internet,we consider book this hotel.cause is under our budget .first of all,when we step into d hotel,the guesthouse is what we aspect,hong kong style hdb,the lift very small only cam fix 5-6person only,but if got luggage will little bit tight la.room very small,d guesthouse provide us are 2 double-decker bed la,but there got free wifi,room after put luggage no more place to stand la.but d location of guesthouse very nearby to tong choi street, fa yuen street, walking distance to temple street around 20min la.guesthouse also provide selling like ocean park ticket,Disneyland ticket,ferry transfer to Macau....guesthouse also provide some info for meal,so we success eat a lot of delicious local food la.overall, recommend for those lower budget traveling in hong kong la.

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank Tramychan
London, England
Reviewed August 10, 2012

I had one of those broom cupboard single rooms, en suite so small i had to shower over the toilet, feet hung over the end of the bed by about 12 inches, price 360 HKD. OK for one night. Good location near Mongkok station.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Frannk982
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Stayed at Oi Suen for the third time this year (previous stays were in 2010 and 2011). All bookings were for 2 person rooms even though I traveled alone, as I am 195cm (6'4") tall and about 90Kg (195lbs) and I need a bit more room to move around.

Let's go back to 2010, the first time I stayed there: The place was recommended by a friend in Macau and at first I was skeptical as I had never stayed at a "guesthouse" before. At the time, Ellen/Rainbow was not the manager as yet (but more on that later). Miss Lam was the manager and treated me with much patience and hospitality even though she could not find my reservation when I arrived. Uncle Lam (who retired a few years ago) said outright that I was an impostor that didn't have a reservation with Oi Suen. I found that statement to be very rude but ignored it. Later, I found out that Uncle Lam was a very frank person, so everything's forgiven. Eventually, Miss Lam found my reservation and after paying for the room and key I was shown the room. Well, first impressions were not too good as I was given a windowless room (I did not know I had to spell out the requirement for a windowed room at the time, but I learned quickly). However, the room was spotless (yes, spotless) and the sheets and pillow cases were laundered and new. The bed was a bit hard but I got used to that soon enough (they're now softer, BTW). Free WiFi was great and the room was at least quiet. That was a one night stay.

The next year (2011) I returned to find that Miss Lam had retired and that Ellen/Rainbow was in charge as Manager now. Reservation was found with no problems although I had to book a week earlier (3 weeks prior compared to last year). Was shown a room in the new wing (same floor, but at the other side of the building). Had a window but it looked into a chimney-like ventilation shaft that was quite noisy with the sound of dripping water. At least I had a window this time around. Room was spotless once again and sheets and pillow cases were clean. Another one night stay. No complaints except for the dripping sound. Room has its own toilet, basin and shower. Got to know Ellen a bit better but did not really have a long talk with her.

This year (2012) returned for the third time. Had to book 4 weeks in advance! Was there for a 2 night stay. Got one of the best rooms they had, # 8, which has a window facing the street, and is bright and cheery. Only downside is that there is a shower and basin but no toilet in the room. You'll need to use the common toilet near the reception area. Not a big problem if you don't mind walking down the hall to take a pee. Probably the most comfortable stay I've had so far with them. Also managed to talk at length with Ellen, and found out that Miss Lam is her mother (big surprise!!!) and that the guesthouse is a family business.

Must say that there is no "perfect room" at Oi Suen, as many of the rooms have a different configuration from one another and it's a bit of a lottery when you book with them (or as Americans like to say: it's a crapshoot). The best part of staying at Oi Suen is interacting with Ellen, as she is knowledgeable, attentive, friendly, kind, polite, professional and above all, very funny.

I know my way around HK, but she was still able to point me to places and restaurants that I didn't know about. She treats all of her guests like friends and is very sincere and genuine with them. Her employees are also friendly and professional, and her cousin, Sam, who also works there, deserves an honorable mention as well for his excellent service.

I intend to travel to Asia in April 2013 and will book with Oi Suen again when I am in HK. Will return as long as they're in business or until I find a better place to stay.

Room Tip: If you are claustrophobic, please get a room with a window! There are a few windowless rooms that wi...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank PaulB6969
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed May 18, 2012

I stayed in a single room at Oi Suen for four nights. On the second day of my visit I came down with the flu and was absolutely miserable. The owner was so sweet and gentle. She walked with me to the doctor's office down the block, holding her umbrella over me. I am so grateful that I ended up at a place where I could get help in this sort of situation. That aside, fantastic location, great price, clean rooms, and lovely air conditioning.

Room Tip: It is true that the windowless single room is very small. If you have never been to Hong Kong and ha...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank Elsa H
Reviewed May 17, 2012

This is my fourth time visiting Hong Kong and I've stayed at the Sincere House before so I prefer guesthouses in this location.

I booked through them weeks ahead specifying a room with a window which we agreed to reserve and pay for more. The day we arrived, we were told the room is not ready yet so we leave our things and set out to get some food. We were told to come back at 1pm and so we did. Then they were giving us this cramped "triple room" with no windows. Of course we refused, since we agreed on a room with a window. The lady in charge was getting mad at me for their mistake which was so wrong. She was telling me check in time was 2pm when the email they sent specifically states that check in time is 1pm, even the guy manning the booth told us to come back at 1pm. She even told me to just go to some other guest house which was SO RUDE but we've already paid when we arrived in the morning. This information would have been useful if she told me she couldn't accommodate us when we made reservations. If we weren't so tired from the journey, I wouldn't mind finding a room at Chungking Mansion. I was so mad and tired at the same time. I didn't expect 5 star accommodation from a guesthouse but I didn't expect them to be that rude either.

Long story short, they moved us to a different room on a different floor - room with a window. Then we transferred to their guesthouse after 2 nights. They were nice after that like nothing happened. Maybe this could have been a good review if they weren't very rude at the start. As they say, first impressions last. I noticed that they had a lot of Thai guests and maybe that's their niche. So, just be warned. Because of that, I would not recommend this hostel and I wouldn't come back. There are plenty of guesthouses in this building who wouldn't go ballistic on you because they messed up the reservations. I recommend the Dragon Hostel on the 7th floor. They were just fully booked at the time of my booking.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank funwithems
oisuen, General Manager at Oi Suen Guesthouse, responded to this review, March 17, 2016
Hi,

Our check in time was indeed at 1pm. However, when we get rather busy we tend to be a little behind in getting rooms ready. We sincerely apologise for this. We try our best to strive for perfection. We have learned from every experience and check in time is now 2pm!!
As you expressed your utter emergence and tiredness, I gave you a room for the time being so that you could get some rest. I had every intention to give you the exact room that you booked once you were ready. As you know once you were ready you were taken to your specified room and then we were happy that you was!!!
We welcome guests from all over the world, we do not discriminate!!
One world, one love!!!!!

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

PH
Reviewed May 11, 2012

It's my first time in Hongkong and I somewhat got culture - shocked. My mom explained to me that in Hongkong, every space is expensive-- meaning, the bigger space you have, the more you will pay. And since we're on a budget travel, when we saw this and the reviews about Oi Suen Guest House, we didn't hesitate to get it. When we get there, we really enjoyed it. Why?

a. Home-y. It truly feels like home. I feel comfortable with the room considering the fact that I'm claustrophobic. Everything you need for you to enjoy your stay, they have. Towels, soap gel (body gel), shampoo (hair gel), pillows, water, coffee, very fast internet connection (700kbps, my bro told me), thing is you have to bring your own laptop xDD I guess it's in the atmosphere created within the hostel :)

b. Convenient!! Not only it is accessible to places like Ladies' Market, Fa Yuen Street Market but also to Langham Place and Argyle Center! My mom and I could shop with ease and we could easily eat!!!

c. REALLY CHEAP AND AFFORDABLE! But of course, since it's really cheap and affordable, do not expect anything out of the ordinary.

d. Super adorable staff!! Rainbow is really nice and would assist you nicely with what you need, she also speaks english and understands the language. On the other hand, Sam (the guy -- her niece) can speak only little english but understands some of it. Well, at least he's trying unlike others who are rude.

There you have it! I hope you'd choose this place when you visit HK!

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family