“Great Cantonese cuisine!”

House of Jasmine (Ocean Centre)
Ranked #846 of 8,546 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Munich, Germany
“Great Cantonese cuisine!”
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

Modern, upper class restaurant for traditional dim sum and more....nice presentations and really decent foods and drinks. One of my favorite places in Hong Kong!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Hong Kong, China
“great location but...”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Group of 12 booked a table in advance. Asked if we need to reserve some popular dishes they firmly said no.
When we arrived we got the table at the far corner, fantastic arrange this.
We ordered 2x crispy baby pork, 4x fried rice in tubs, fish head soup, empress chicken, 2x groupers, loads of vegetable dishes, fried bean curd,
Empress Chicken sold out. No more fish available... It was only 7.30pm! Unbelievable...
They all come in pretty small portion so be aware!
Overall worse than what we expected, it was just alright for a restaurant that was being recommended by the Michelin Guide...

• Visited August 2012
Brussels, Belgium
“full of locals and very buzzy”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

would never have found this if I wasn't with local people - its in a shopping centre - the food was ordered for us so I dont know names but it was seriously good - we had a private dining room but the main room is huge and was packed full of people (on a monday night) - great atmosphere - i would definitely go back and explore the menu - what we had was excellent and what i saw others eating in the main dining room looked great

Visited May 2012
Sydney, Australia
“A hidden gem”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We stumbled on the restaurant as it was close to our hotel. We were the only couple in the place. Everyone else was with family and all of them had small children and very old people with them. We were the only non-locals and we were made very welcome. The food was varied and interesting and obviously group orientated. Nevertheless what we had was exceptional in presentation, taste, quality and value.
Definitely worth a visit - if you can find it.

• Visited June 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Beautiful food presentation with equally good food quality”
Reviewed June 12, 2012

House of Jasmine was an unexpected pleasant surprise for me as I had never thought of eating there. I didn't even know it existed until I decided to find a dim sum restaurant to settle my lunch at when I was in Ocean Terminal to do some sightseeing and shopping. The information counter staff directed me to HoJ and this was how I knew of it's existence.

Although the restaurant already had numerous reservations, the two ladies at the counter were nice and ushered us in to a table for four people. We ordered jasmine tea, a main course of goose meat with hor fun in soup, and dim sum consisting of har gao, char siew buns, siew mai, salty pastry "ham sui gok" and rice noodle rolls with goose meat as the inner filling. The ambience was great as it was quiet when we arrived, and the lighting was appropriate. Not to mention it had a nice view facing the ferry terminal.

The jasmine tea was really unique. It came in a teapot filled with jasmine flowers placed over a ceramic burner and hot water had to be poured over the flowers into the teapot to brew the tea. Honey was also given to make the tea sweeter. The goose meat was alright, one of the less impressive dishes. The goose skin was crispy and great, but unfortunately it had little meat and mostly consisted of bones. Hor fun was alright, provided a nice counterbalance to the greasier meat. The har gao and rice noodle rolls were nice, so was the siew mai. I really liked how the siew mai tasted like it was steamed/boiled unlike the usual ones served in Singapore that were really oily. The char siew buns were equally tasty, but the portions were smaller than the usual buns.

However, the highlight of the day had to be the salty pastry for me. I ordered one plate which had three of them, and they were fried to absolute perfection. The outer layer was extremely crispy yet it never tasted oily or unhealthy, the char siew meat inside complemented the layer perfectly, I was left wanting for more when I finished two of them. Hands down the best salty pastry I have ever tasted so far.

Price wise, we paid about a total of HKD287, which we felt was definitely worth it. Service was alright, nothing special as most of them were busy clearing rollers/plates/leftovers or refilling empty tea cups.

• Visited June 2012