“Good food great location”

House of Jasmine (Ocean Centre)
Ranked #948 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Tsim Sha Tsui
Hong Kong, China
“Good food great location”
Reviewed January 29, 2012

I just went to this restaurant for the first time for Dim Sum, etc. on a Saturday morning, during the extended New Years holiday (with many families still getting together a few days after the Lunar New Year). It was predictably busy, but we had arrived early at 11-11:30, without reservations. (As is typical here, many restaurants hold some seats for walk-ins)
I strongly urge reservations, however, we were able to get a great table, and had a good view of the harbour. Unlike many restaurants in HK, this one is on the ground floor, which limits some of the more dramatic views of the harbour that we enjoy!!

The food was surprisingly good with great service. I was surprised at some reviews on a few sites regarding poor service. The food was typical of dim sum places, including shu mai, hargow, and other noodle and rice dishes.

The price for four adults and a child was HK$500 (US$65), and we were content. I highly recommend this place.

• Visited January 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Singapore
“Simply delicious”
Reviewed October 17, 2011

Excellent food selection. Must try the soup of the day amongst others. Long waiting time if you don't make advanced reservations. Service is very good.

• Visited October 2011
Fareham, Hampshire
“Was fantastic. Would go all the time if I lived in HK!”
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Compelled to write a review despite going last year because of the poor reviews given recently. I found this restaurant to serve beautiful food and went twice in my 6 days of being in HK on holiday. I ordered off the Dim Sum menu where you fill out your order on a piece of paper (all dishes are written on this sheet in English and Chinese and you just note down by the dish how many portions you want). In all honestly I can't remember exactly what I ordered, but my photos will give you an idea. What I can distinctly remember was the aubergines in a creamy chilli sauce, the chilli cold pickled cucumber, smoked duck breast and the mango puddings - and they were beautifully done. I also ordered double boiled chicken soup off the main menu which is one of my favourites and I read in another review (perhaps Time Out..?) that this was a speciality of theirs. It was quaintly served in a small teapot with a teacup to drink it out of.

In terms of service I felt it was good. Neither I or my boyfriend speaks chinese but I found the communication fine and the staff seemed to speak English anyway. Perhaps because we went on weekdays it was quieter so the service may have been better due to this.

I would recommend this restaurant to anyone and will go back again when I go to HK next year. What I would say is that it is not cheap, but the price you would expect to pay in a similar authentic chinese restaurant in the UK, and my opinion is that it's worth the money. It was also nice to have a few things that can't find on a Dim Sum menu in the UK.

• Visited September 2010
San Francisco, California
“abysmal service, mediocre food”
Reviewed April 4, 2011

This restaurant was recommended by the hotel and admittedly it was in a fantastic location. But the service was painfully slow and the food served was completely flavourless. I don;t know if they assumed non asians wouldn't like spices but there was no effort to ask. Each dish they bought (very very slowly) was dull and completely lacking in taste.

• Visited March 2011
Guayaquil, Ecuador
“Expected Much More”
Reviewed November 15, 2010

I really was dissapointed after waiting for 1 hour at the door to have lunch on a Saturday.
Firts, the Hostess after puting us in the waiting list ignored us by calling the numbers in Chinese, so we had to ask her every 15 minutes about our turn.

As you can imagine, once we were given the table we were so hungry but the service was terrible having waters ignored us again. When they finally took our order, the dim sum offered to try the best was not good at all.

Their location is great at the best high end shopping mall in HK, with tourists everywhere, however if you wish go eat good chinese food chofes elsewhere.