“Great Base of Operations”

Lee Garden Guest House
Ranked #25 of 158 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Edmonton, Canada
“Great Base of Operations”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Lee's Guest House is in the perfect location to get around and see the rest of Hong Kong.

I was in the cheapest room and there's no other way to describe it other than as cramped and tiny. There was no window. The bed was comfy though with a half decent price and I consider the accommodations as good considering what I paid.

The service at the front desk was amazing though, it made all the difference in the world. I'd stay here again for sure (though I'd probably upgrade to a better room next time).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Paris, France
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I was nicely surprised when I visited some rooms: 'bright & clean' was my first impression. A bit more pricey than what you could find in the Chunking Mansions, but still very cheap for what you're getting: shower inside, good air-con, TV, windows. Located in the center of Tsim Sha Tsui, that's pretty much all you need when visiting Hong Kong!
All my ratings below as well as my opinion are made in comparison to other guest houses in I've been to in HK, so don't expect a Grand Hyatt ;-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We are a couple that stayed at Lee Garden Guest House in a private room with an ensuite (room F). We were well aware of the small closet sized rooms in HK so we were prepared. Our room is small, but for the price (and location) it's all you really need. We spent most of our time exploring the city and just slept/showered here. Our room had enough space for 2 large suitcases, and enough hooks/hangers to hang up stuff. I think our room is actually a little bigger than some of the other rooms. So try get this room if you can.

The toilet/bathroom is tiny, but too be expected. The room is clean and serviced every day, with fresh towels and toiletries. There is also a TV in the room which is a plus!

Charlie was really friendly and speaks good English. For a quiet, safe, and clean place, I'd definitely recommend this place. Location is a BIG PLUS! Everything close by - restaurants, massage places, shops, metro.

Note: This is not a typical hostel, as there is no common area to 'hang', so it's probably not a good place if you're a solo traveler wanting to mingle or meet people.

Room Tip: I can recommend room F. It was quiet and had more space than the others. There is also a fire escape...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hools007
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 15, 2012

stayed there for 4 nights. Only plus point about the guesthouse is it's location. It's located at Tsim Sha Tsui, highly accessible to everywhere. The room is really small. We stayed in a triple bedroom with bathroom in it. The double bed is really small for 2 people to share and the single bed is smaller seemed smaller than the usual single bed. Walking space is minimal with all the luggages in the room as well. There's only 2 powerplugs which limit the number of devices that can be charged at any one time.

The bathroom is REALLY small. There is no way that you can bathe without your clothes hanging at the side getting wet. The showerhead is kind of faulty with water squirting out at the back. There is hot water for bathing. Toiletries are changed everyday but the towels don't seem very clean as there were stains on them though they were new.

All in all, I would recommend the place only if you are running low on budget.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Philippines
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Went there last May 2012. The room and bathroom/toilet was very small but we didn't feel constricted.My husband and I stayed in the room. The room was clean and A/C was working fine.Bed sheets were clean.Also the hot shower was working fine. The location of the place is really good. It's like 3-5minutes walk to the mtr. You can also walk going to Avenue of Stars, LV store, museum , shopping area, etc. The receptionists were very nice to us.(1-2 women at the reception area) We are like 11 people during that time(entire family). We bought Disney and Ocean Park tickets from them. We asked for directions at times, and they helped us with that too. Even though the room is really small, I guess that's common in hk, I felt safe here. I mean we go out at night to buy at a nearby food store/ fastfood restaurant and there are still lot of people outside and streets were lit.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Elaine S
Angeles City, Philippines
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just came from HK and stayed here for 2 nights..location of guest house is perfect for travellers bec its very near the MTR. although it has small rooms it was never a problem because it offered comfort to me and my whole family..you know it is a good place to stay because they are always fully booked, so be sure to get an advance booking..good for people with tight budget but it's all worth your penny.. downside> they only accept cash..so just be prepared..surely I will go back here again if I decide to visit HK soon!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JosephPogi
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 5, 2012

I travelled solo recently and stayed for a night. As a solo female traveller, I felt pretty safe (even late at night) and most certainly did not have to wait very long for the lift, though it is rather cramped and only accommodates 4-5 people (with luggage in tow).

I was delighted to find that it is centrally located in the heart of TST. The MTR station is just a short walk away (perhaps 5-10min?). The Airport Express Bus A21 stops just at the end of the street (near Park Hotel), which makes it convenient and cheap to get here from HKIA.

Amenities are basic but comfortable. Cleanliness was wayyyy better what I experienced at the supposed 4* hotel along Prat Ave. I am a stickler for cleanliness - yet the only two gripes I have are that 1) the towels seemed a little yellow and old; 2) there were some black-ish things I found on my bed in the morning, which I suppose came from the air-conditioning unit (also a bit old). Other than that, I think the room was pretty functional and adequately clean. The free wifi and hot shower worked like a charm, so I didn't have much to complain about. Do note, however, that the complimentary boiled water, the microwave and fridge are all outside the room, for communal use.

The staff can speak a variety of languages, apart from English and Cantonese. I once witnessed the matronly lady behind the counter converse fluently in Japanese before switching back to English to address me.

A quick look at the shops around the area also seemed interesting - the DNA mall, Charlie Brown Cafe, Wu Dai Tong Tang (dessert shop), etc.

Overall, I would say this place holds great value for money! Based on location, space and amenities at this price... I'd say it's a steal! A lot more bang for your buck if you stay here rather than at the other pricier options nearby.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo