“Jiggly, wobbly, and yummy”

Yee Shun Dairy Company(Lockhard Road)
Ranked #7 of 233 Dessert in Hong Kong
Good for: Families with children, Kids
Dining options: Late Night, Drinks, Brunch, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Jordan / Yau Ma Tei
Singapore
“Jiggly, wobbly, and yummy”
Reviewed July 23, 2014

When in Hong Kong, there are a few things you have to try. Dim sum, goose, roast meat, beef brisket curry noodles, wan tan noodles and of course, steam milk pudding.

I have been going to Yee Shun Milk for the longest of time. It's almost like a pilgrimage of some sorts each time I am in Hong Kong. Sure, it isn't t everyone's cup of tea. I know some of my friends find the cold Steam Milk in Two Films Steam a little weird, whilst a number reckon the ginger is overpowering in the Milk with Ginger Juice.

But I love it. The wobbly, jiggly, crinkly texture of the milk on top juxtaposed with the silky, creamy, smooth pudding below. It's like an explosion of textures and flavours in each mouthful. There's nothing quite like it in my opinion.

They have recently imposed an in-house rule that every customer must order a dish, so there's a strict no-sharing policy. The staff aren't exactly the most courteous. If you outstay your welcome after you have finished your desserts, they will swiftly remove your finished bowls, almost urging you to leave and make space for the next customers.

But then again, I didn't come here for the service, did i? Seconds anyone?

• Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
“Rude staff but great desserts”
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Ignore the rude staff - it's very typical in Hong Kong, especially the smaller places and it seems the more popular they are, the ruder the staff!

On to the desserts, the steamed milk pudding is probably the most delicious and popular but the steamed egg and tofu desserts are just as tasty.

They sell other snacks but stick to the desserts and you won't go wrong.

• Visited June 2014
Vancouver, Canada
“Delicious dessert”
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Took the advice of our guide book and tried out this dessert. It was delicious and well worth the experience. The steamed milk puddings are priced around $30HKD and we got 2 ginger hot and 1 regular one cold. All very delicious and I would recommend them both. There is no English menu posted in the window but once seated we were given the English menu with pictures. Overall a very good experience.

1 Thank K N
Vancouver, Canada
“Overrated and extremly rude staffs!”
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We came to this dessert place by recommendation of a friend who told us to try their steamed milk pudding. The place was packed once we arrived there. We (3 adults and a baby in stroller) were just about to enter the place when suddenly a screaming (and I am not exaggerating!) waitress ran towards us and literally pushed us all out as she did not want to have us take up any space in there with our stroller.
I mean, I realized that HK is not a baby and stroller friendly place to begin with, but yelling at us while pushing us out at the same time is beyond rude and I have never experienced something like this anywhere in HK before. So, the waitress told us in Canto that we had to fold the stroller and then come in. How were we supposed to know that this place was this tiny if we did not walk in first. They could have told us in a normal way to fold the stroller outside before entering and it would be totally understandable, but instead they chose to advise us about this in such a rude way. I was very pissed and wanted to leave immediately without going in there for their desserts, but since we walked all the way there to try their milk pudding my brother thought we should simply ignore the staffs and go in anyway.
So, we ordered steamed milk pudding with ginger and steamed egg pudding. The dessert was fine and smooth but it was not as special as I had imagined. Really nothing to rave about nor would I line up to get a table. Most likely will you have to share a table with other people, since it's a crowded tiny place, but we were ok with it, since we ate and left immediately. The waitresses kept looking at us to see if we had finished our desserts and as soon as we did, they took away our bowls and gave us the bill. They literally kick you out to make room for customers that were waiting outside. This did not only happen to us but to everyone else. As soon as you're done, get outta here is their way of dealing with their customers. So arrogant!

This place it completely overrated and we will never return nor will we recommend anyone to go there. Spend your money elsewhere, where the staffs appreciate their customers and aren't this arrogant just because they have a business that is doing well! It's just a matter of time for how long they will survive should they keep treating their customers like they treated us.

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank travelbee_888
Singapore
“Delicious steamed milk pudding”
Reviewed December 28, 2013

There's a queue but it moved fast. Frankly, you just eat and go. The place is packed constantly. We tried the ginger steamed milk pudding. It's so good! I never thought I would like ginger! I had the sandwich too. Simple and nice.. So comforting.

• Visited December 2013