“Hostel in Kowloon, Center of HongKong”
Review of Apple Hostel

Apple Hostel
Ranked #24 of 157 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Berlin, Germany
“Hostel in Kowloon, Center of HongKong”
Reviewed October 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed 4nights in The Apple Hostel, next to the Center of HongKong in ChungKing Mansion. At first the ChungKing Mansion seems a bit confusing, but you can find the Hostel cery fast. The room was very small (size of a Double bed), including a bathroom. It was a good and cheap stay for the short time we visit Hong Kong. After all we just sleep in the Hostel, everything else u can do outside on your own. In the End the Apple Hostel was a good choice for a short time city trip!

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank A_Schue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed October 4, 2013 via mobile

The hostel itself is ok if you don't mind a few baby cockroaches in the bathroom but the building it's in is a nightmare. The queue for the lifts is very long and the lifts are very, very slow. The entire ground floor is an Indian market and so you get people trying to sell you stuff by shouting out to you as you walk past. It's not the most relaxing place but it's tolerable. I stayed for one night and I was glad to leave, even though the room was fine and the ladies who work there were very friendly.

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Geotravel F
lancashire, UK
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I stayed at the Apple for the second time earlier this month. Absolutely no problems. Queries beforehand dealt with promptly by email and I was given an excellent guide to getting to Tsim Sha Tsui from the airport by bus (in fact I reckon now that the bus at 33hkd beats hotel coaches, taxis and the airport express hands down for comfort, speed and certainly price)
Hostel was its usual clean, friendly welcoming self, with excellent and stable wifi totally accessible, fridge and microwave for feeding self, air con and shower. Of course the room is miniscule, and the linens are washed thin -but they are thin because they are changed daily and washed.
I forgot to lock my room door one evening and was roundly told off for this, although I never experienced even a moment of trouble from any other resident.
I'll certainly stay there again next year when I make my annual business trip

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank onewend
Huizhou, China
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Hadn't heard great things about Chungking Mansions but without many other budget options in TST my girlfriend and I decided to go for it. We stayed at Apple Hostel two nights, in September 2013, in a twin room; no doubles were available.

The hostel itself was pretty good. The staff were friendly and the room - with TV, shower, toilet, air conditioning and ceiling fan - was basic but clean and comfortable. It was small of course, it being in Hong Kong, but there was enough floorspace to move around just fine. They gave us fresh towels both days and made the beds. A few small bugs appeared in the room from time to time, but that didn't bother us too much, and the air-conditioning unit was quite noisy; we just used the fan at night and it was fine.

The infamous Chungking Mansions wasn't as scary as we'd been led to believe either. Waiting for the tiny lift was a bit of a nightmare, at times, so we used creepy stairwell to get down during the day (just hold your nose, go as fast as you can, and try not to think about what the stains on the walls might be). Late at night - about 1am, when we got back - the queue for the lifts wasn't bad at all. The people there do come up whispering about watches and suits and whatever else they're selling but we didn't feel at all threatened; as soon as we showed no interest they'd move on.

So, if you're keen to stay in TST, rather than on the island, I'd recommend this as a budget option. We certainly had no qualms with the hostel itself and would definitely recommend it. As for Chungking Mansions: it might not be everyone's cup of tea and some people might feel a little uncomfortable here - it certainly isn't somewhere I would rush back to in massive hurry - but, if you're on a budget, it's not all that bad and worth considering.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Surabaya, Indonesia
Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed in here for 3 night as solo traveler. I choose this hostel because of the budget and strategic location. the room is clean and hyglene, even the size is very small. service is one of the best in here. if you are solo traveler, I recommend you to stay in here. location is very nice, so you can easily mobile to explore around there. but one of the main problem is in the lifts, you should queue for the lifts. but don't worry, there's some security who makes the packed orderly and safe.

Room Tip: Choose the room on B sides, because it's better than others room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in August 2013 as a solo female traveller. This exceeded my expectations and was a great value for money option. Chungking was far more organised and calm than I thought it would be. Yes, you have to queue for the lifts, but the queue is always orderly, with an attendant, and never more than 5 minutes. There are lots of budget eating options in Chungking and a wander around the ground floor is worth it just for the experience. I rarely got hassled and just a polite "no thank you" will suffice if you do. The Apple Hostel was clearly a budget option but my room was great. I booked the superior single room, meaning I had a private bathroom and air con. The hot water, air con and Wifi all worked perfectly. The room was spotlessly clean, with fresh towels and cleaning every day. The three housekeeper ladies are very friendly and always around so I had no concerns about safety of items in my room. The bathroom is small, but for me as a fairly small female I had no problems. I can imagine the shower over the toilet might pose problems for a tall guy though. The location is perfect too. All in all, if I was in HK again on a similar budget I would definitely return.

Room Tip: Best on a budget option. Worth spending a bit extra for a room with a private en suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Clare D
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed at Apple Hostel in March 2013, and to be honest, I was less than impressed.

To begin, the hostel is located in Chungking Mansions, which is notoriously sketchy and infamous with the Hong Kong locals for being a very shady building. On the first floor, people will get in your face constantly, asking if you need a place to stay, if you'd like to buy a watch, or even to try to sell you drugs. These people target foreigners.

The building itself is very shady, with lights often not working. There are six elevators for the public to use to get to the floor of their hostel, but even so, you will have to wait in a long line to get to your floor because the elevators are very small, and each elevator goes only to a limited number of floors.

Moving onto the hostel itself, it has absolutely no character whatsoever. It is simply a place to sleep. The hallways are extremely dimly lit, and the bathrooms are very uncomfortable. Addtionally, over the course of my three-night stay at the hostel, I found four live cockroaches crawling on my floor and in the bathroom. This made it a little difficult for me to sleep.

The sole redeeming feature of this hostel, and the reason why I'm giving a rating of 3/5 instead of what would normally be a 1/5, is the staff. The staff are incredibly friendly and will go out of their way to help you out, as well as give you tips on how to make yourself a little more comfortable. Additionally, they do their best to keep the hostel as clean as possible, and other than the cockroaches, my room was indeed very clean, with fresh towels on my bed every morning. Most of the staff speak English perfectly well, which also makes it easier for a traveller in a foreign city.

All in all, I regretfully say that I would not return to this hostel. Despite it being slightly cheaper than some other hostels I found and the staff being absolutely top notch, I did not feel safe in the building and the cockroaches made for a very uncomfortable sleep.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo