“Very clean and super friendly”
Review of Apple Hostel

Apple Hostel
Ranked #23 of 161 Specialty Lodging in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I stayed at Apple over the new year so it was a convenient location for the countdown. I had a private delux room with a small window and my own water closet. My room was cleaned, bed made and a new towel everyday. Each room had a license on its door as per the regulations in Hong Kong for a multi unit boarding house. The rooms were small as illustrated in the pictures but I still managed to get my suitcase fully open which is not the case in a lot of these types of hostels. The elevators were frustratingly slow and there are some shady characters staying in Chungking Mansions. So while I found Apple Hostel itself clean and secure and a fantastic price for Hong Kong, getting in and out of the building was a bit of a challenge especially when random drunk guys would approach. Another downside to Apple is the layout where the areas are split into two. The office was located in the other part so when two nights in a row, my area had a drunk guest arguing and singing to himself at the top of his lungs at 2am and again at 4am, no one came around to do anything which I found quite disappointing.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed November 19, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for 2 nights. I was very suprised at how small the rooms were but they were clean and very very comfortable!! The location was in a very crowded part of the city and was on the 10th floor. The elevator was always crowded and the people appeared to be seedy. However, I always felt safe, it just took some time to get used to. This hotel is very close to public transportation. I was able to take the bus ( across the street) to the subway,and then to the airport. It is about a 30 minute walk to Hong Kong harbor. I enjoyed the staff, they were very friendly and helpful. Always had smiles. I recommend this hotel if you want to save money.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank lori l
Reviewed November 14, 2012

Loved Apple Hostel. Easy access from the airport (bus A21, get off stop 14 at $33HKD) The single rooms are TINY but its perfect if you just want a comfortable, clean bed, thats in a central location. The rooms are clean and the shared showers always have hot water (with free shower gel). My room is cleaned everyday and nothing is stolen. There is 24 hour access with a key. The internet worked fine for me (I guess having a room closer to the router box in reception helps). I was worried that the place would be loud and noisy but I couldnt hear anything from the block or from the shared bathroom which is right outside my room, so I slept really well........The owners are very friendly and helpful also. There are good exchange rates from the Western Union and Singapore Exchange on the ground floor of block B (better than airport) and you can get some amazing Indian food. The only issue is the lifts, with long queue times but you get used to it.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Leannable
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I did enjoy staying in this "Hostel" actually I wouldnt even call it a hostel or a hotel more just somewhere to sleep.

As the other reviews have said the room is really small, the double bed takes up most of the room, however there is space under the bed to store your bags etc. I found the room and bathroom really clean. The shower had really hot water which was a bonus for me travelling in asia.

The staff here, are really friendly, so nice and caring.I didn't have too much to do with them but when I did they were always pleasent and they gave me goof info on transportation options.

The reaons I gave Apple Hostel 3 stars is because it is in Chungking mansions. I really did not enjoy staying in here. Yes, they did try and sell me stuff most times but they gave up on the second day(that I could handle)however whenever I went downstairs the Indians at the food stalls would often stare at me and make inappropraite comments. I had to wait for the lift which was right by there stall which made me feel quite comforable and I would dread going down stairs to walk past them.

The lift was a bit of a wait, which was a little annoying at times however I only used this twice a day but if you were coming and going I would see this being a problem

Also the Location was great, right on nathan road and easy to find

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank 04sarah
Reviewed October 6, 2012

I'd strongly recommend staying here. It was our first trip to Hong Kong and I'd have no hesitation in coming back! Excellent service from ALL staff, very friendly and helpful. Showers always hot, shower gel provided, tv in room, air con and fan in room. Wifi in room is a good connection too! Location in Chung King Mansions is right in the heart of one of the busiest places in HK. Rooms are a little on the small side but that didn't bother us at all. Thanks very much for a great stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank paul_ryan_9
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Chung King Mansions is a popular destination especially for back packing travelers or those who are on a budget travel. I've been to Chung King Mansions in the past but stayed in a different hostel. In my last visit, we tried Apple Hostel because of the reviews I've read. True enough, the rooms are better than the last placed I stayed in in June. Expect that the rooms are small but not as cramped as the other hostels in Chung King. The best part of this hostel is the staff. They were very friendly and accommodated all of our requests during our stay. They proactively changed our bed sheets and provided towels---a mark of good customer service. While they are not 4 or 5 star, I'll give this a 5 star in the hostel industry.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ramon L
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Chungking Mansions on Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui is right in the middle of the mainland - Rangoon. This hostel is one of many which have opened in what were designed originally as apartments. There isn't much space in each room, but the corollary is that rooms cost a third of the price of the cheapest proper hotel rooms in Hong Kong where space is at a massive premium
All the hostels provide pretty much the same - a simple bed (on which I slept very well) a sink, loo and shower over, and the Apple throws in a kettle in your room and use of a fridge and microwave so you can eat cheaply too. Plus airconditioning. Rooms are kept very clean, done every day. The towels are washed thin but still dry you. This isn't luxury accomodation but the staff are all cheerful and very helpful with queries about how to or where is and make a person feel properly welcome. There is free very stable wifi too.
Yes, the whole complex could certainly use more lifts and fewer sellers of knock off watches lurking but these latter seemed slightly fewer and less agressive than last year and it's hardly fair to blame the hostel for the lift which is not under their control
To stay in one of these hostels demands a certain willingness to accept a basic accomodation, but with such a huge saving it ill behoves someone to get snotty about the room size etc

Room Tip: Chungking Mansions on Nathan Road, Tsim Sha Tsui is right in the middle of the mainland - Rangoon. T...