“Good hotel in quiet area”
Review of EAST Hong Kong

EAST Hong Kong
Ranked #32 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 26, 2014

When I say quiet area, this is Hong Kong, so there's still a lot happening in the area. The location is good, on Hong Kong Island and only 15 minutes by train to Central. There is a big shopping centre attached to the hotel if you can't be bothered going to Causeway Bay, less than 10 minutes away.

The hotel is new and stylish, with a popular bar on the rooftop (Sugar) with good views across the harbour to Kowloon. The buffet restaurant is good, and service good all-around. It's also better value than staying right in the city. The rooms are smaller than average with open bathroom to save more space, but it works.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2014

Hi Matthew,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback regarding your recent visit to EAST, Hong Kong. I'm happy you mention how Taikoo Shing is quiet compared to the craziness of Causeway Bay, yet there is still enough action to keep you occupied and entertained. Further, we appreciate you mentioning the stylish design of the hotel and highlighting Sugar and Feast both. Your review has been shared with the team, who are awaiting your next visit in a near future.

There are newer reviews for EAST Hong Kong

Reviewed June 26, 2014

A decent to mid-high-end hotel geared to business travellers.

The service standards are OK on the whole, and the location is quite convenient, with a train station and a huge shopping mall almost right on the doorstep.

Rooms in the hotel are sometimes guilty of putting aesthetics over functionality. They have a consistent colour scheme of oranges and warm greys applied well, but the TV is hidden and hard to find, there are awkward angles here and there, and the rooms are not as large as they seem at first glance.

The room washbasins also have a strange quirk; it's almost impossible to do anything in them (e.g. washing your hands, face, brushing your teeth, etc.) without splashing water everywhere. The basins are basically too shallow. The rain shower is nice and strong, however.

The rooftop bar has great views but is crowded in the evenings. The breakfast buffet is good and has a lot of options, but is slightly pricey.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for sharing feedback of your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. We always appreciate learning how our guests feel and appreciate while staying with us, and most importantly getting constructive feedback so we can continue improving. I have shared your comments regarding the room product with our team so we can look into the matter further. Thank you once again for your valuable review and we hope to see you back at EAST soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I go to Hong Kong almost every month, and last for one or two nights there. My office is near the Tai Koo side, so East is the most logical hotel as it's very near.

The hotel itself is really hip, clean, designed nicely, and strategically located (above the Tai Koo MTR). The pricing is also much lower than the famous hotel chain, but I really like this hotel,

And I would give thumbs up to the friendly hotel staff. There's one time I stayed there and reported minor problem with the room, and the senior staff attended to the problem to make sure it's rectified immediately. To my surprise that the next visit I had, the staff still remember my name also.

Not to mention the effective Hotel communication team where I forgot to bring back my bill, so mailing them got me an almost immediate response.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Hi David,

Thank you for your repeated business at EAST, Hong Kong, and for taking the time to share your experiences with the TripAdvisor community. We highly appreciate your excellent comments about the product and value we offer, yet most importantly we are grateful that you mentioned the quality of service provided by the team. I am delighted to learn that our team was able to resolve your issue quickly and effectively.

We look forward to having you back with us very soon, and remain at your service in the meantime.

Reviewed June 19, 2014 via mobile

I have stayed here four times, as my office is nearby. There is a lot to like: the metro is next door, nice save neighborhood with lots of cafés close by, good restaurant and rooftop bar. But the small rooms get me every time. The are remarkably architected to feel bigger but they are small by any standard. While there is a desk chair, you are stuck sitting on the
bed to read, relax or watch TV. It would be tight for two people. The other thing is your room most likely look directly into the kitchen of the apartment across the street, and they will give you a friendly wave. I finally booked an upper floor, harbor view (and paid dearly for it). Otherwise you are in a chic tiny room with the shades drawn for privacy. If you get a good deal on a harbor view room or have business in the area, it is a nice choice. Otherwise look elsewhere.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank tpkinsl
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear tpkinsl,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your experiences at EAST, Hong Kong. We sincerely appreciate your loyalty to EAST and appreciate your view on the hotel. Thank you for highlighting both Feast and Sugar from your visits, our restaurant and bar teams are most grateful. I can certainly understand that you feel the rooms are small, but I assure you that in comparison to many other hotels, particularly in the area, we are on the larger side. After all, it is Hong Kong! We do have our 8 suites that offer more space if that is a priority. I do sincerely hope this aspect of the hotel won't deter you from staying with us again. Please contact me at davidarraya@swirehotels.com and I will be happy to ensure you have a harbour view room during your next visit so you can enjoy better privacy.

Until then, we remain at your service for anything you may need.

Respectfully,

Reviewed June 14, 2014

I felt safe in this hotel and neighbourhood. The East has the things I want when I'm travelling for work: an iron, decent hair dryer, a desk, comfy bed with a reading light and fast WiFi. A make-up mirror with good lightening would be appreciated as the bathroom mirror was not well lit -- better suited to romance than putting on make-up. The rain shower was amazing, wish I had one that nice at home. The roof top bar Sugar was a pleasant surprise, I sat out of doors and appreciated the surrounding area without having to travel outside the hotel. And the shopping mall was huge -- complete with a skating rink. Having the MTR outside the front door was a bonus. The kitchen prepared delicious and varied food for good value - $198 HK for a buffet breakfast is a deal! For me, this was the perfect hotel to have spent a week in Hong Kong: clean, safe, comfortable, well located, good food, shopping, transportation and close to work. A great find!

Room Tip: My only tip is to check to make sure your door is closed when you leave the room, there isn't a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your review on TripAdvisor. We are so glad to hear you found EAST, Hong Kong perfect for all of your needs. We appreciate the feedback regarding the lighting in the bathroom mirror, we will certainly review it with the team. It's great to know you enjoyed Sugar and that you were able to take full advantage the outdoor space, which is certainly the highlight. We look forward to having you back at EAST, Hong Kong in a very near future.

Warm regards,

Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

Positives: harbor view rooms have amazing skyline views. Huge pool area. Cool roof top bar. Food in the restaurant was excellent. Next door to shopping mall and amenities.
Negatives: not the most central location for the tourist areas but a short trip on the metro. Service was ok but could have been a bit more natural/friendly..not consistent across all areas of the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Hi Graham,

We appreciate you taking the time to post a review about your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. It's great to know you enjoyed your stay and that you took advantage of all our amenities. I'm very sorry to learn you felt the service was not natural or friendly, as we actually pride ourselves in being passionate about our service and in taking care of our guests. I have shared your review with the team so we can add extra focus on this so you can feel the difference during your next visit.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hong Kong and EAST very soon.

Reviewed June 12, 2014

I like the idea of staying in a hotel that is located within a residential area. It was next to a MTR station and there is a big shopping mall across the road. Hence, finding food and shopping is of no issue. The shopping mall also has a big skating rink, so if you have kids, it would be really cool.

The size of the room is small, but I guess, this is the norm for hotel room in Hong Kong. But the design was good, hence, it did not feel cramp. However, you can view the flats opposite the hotel if you do not lower the blinds, hence, you have to keep the blinds shut most time for privacy.

The only thing that got me upset was the communication among the staff. My friend passed something to me on the day of my arrival at the hotel, however, it was misplaced. I asked twice for it at the reception and they claimed that no package left for me. Hence, my friend has to spend time calling and tracking down who is the staff she handed the item to. I think the hotel should establish some procedures to ensure such incident do not happen. The whole incident was upsetting as it wasted time on my friend and my part trying to track the package.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of your experience at EAST, Hong Kong. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate you highlighting all the positives of your stay. In regards to the issue you encountered with your package, I am truly sorry. We looked into the situation further and I can certainly understand your frustration with something which should be so simple. We have reviewed our processes for package delivery and I am confident that this issue was an isolated one, and I certainly hope that it will not deter you from returning to EAST in the future. I ask that you kindly contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com when planning your next visit, as I would love to give you an upgrade to a harbour view room for the challenge you encountered. Once again, my sincere apology on behalf of the entire team.