“Modern business hotel”
Review of EAST Hong Kong

EAST Hong Kong
Ranked #36 of 726 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I stayed for 4 nights at East Hong Kong on a recent work trip. Although it is located at Tai Koo Shing, I would say its a good location as it is right by the MTR exit and is connected to a large mall. This provides good options for meals and shopping after a long day at work.

The hotel itself is modern, and very much built for the business traveller. I wished though, that there could be a pillow menu to offer a variety of firmness to ensure a good night's rest. The hotel also overlooks a residential building, so there's not much of a view, and for privacy, the blinds have to be down all the time.

The one thing I especially liked about the hotel was the dress-down at front desk, making the service particularly homey and comfortable. The front desk was also very efficient, making use of technology like ipad to speed up check in/out processing.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Ms. Lee,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with the TripAdvisor community. I am so happy to see that you enjoyed your visit at EAST, Hong Kong. We appreciate your kind words about the simplicity and efficiency yet homey and comfortable feel of our design and service. I have shared your kind words with the team. We look forward to welcoming you back in a near future, and ask that you please contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com when planning your next visit so I can ensure you are placed in one of our harbour view rooms so you can enjoy one of the most stunning views of Hong Kong. Until then, I remain at your service for anything else you may need.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

My first stay with this delicious hotel.

I'm seeing more and more of these eclectic places - it's as though a new breed of hotelier is emerging, one who has thrown out the dark wood and nose in the air graces in favour of edgy and clever design supported by hip and eager to please team members.

The hotel is classy cool, funky in tone, spacious, airy and very welcoming. My room on the 24th floor was entitled an "Urban Corner' perfectly kitted out with an espresso machine, milk (!!), fluffy robe etc. Floor to ceiling windows provided a view of the neighbouring apartments, so incredibly close, which encouraged keeping the blinds drawn ;-( But that's Hong Kong.

Lunch in the Feast restaurant was superb. A great combination of buffet selection plus main. I sat at the bar as the restaurant was full, and was well looked after by the barman. Irish? Very nice young chap, enjoys his work. Later on, I had a sneak peak at the preparation for the dinner buffet and the freshly shucked Australian oysters beckoned ...

I missed out on checking out the rooftop bar - something I shall not fail to do upon my return. Which will be very soon.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

It is a great pleasure to receive such a positive review from a Top Contributor such as yourself, thank you! We appreciate you highlighting the careful appointment of our rooms and love the words you used to describe us - "classy cool, funky in tone, spacious, airy and very welcoming". We are also grateful of your mention of Feast, and have shared the review with our team. Matthew, our server at the bar, is actually South African, and he truly is great! We look forward to your next visit in the near future, hopefully you can join us for oysters at dinner this time around!

Reviewed November 6, 2013

I stayed here for 5 days on a combination of personal and business events. I had a harbour view room, which I heartily recommend -- nothing like the floor to ceiling view (they kindly remind you that 'our windows are 2-way':-) and provide blackout blinds for privacy or jet-lagged sleep. The room is one of the best designed I've seen in years, other hotels should take lessons from it! Pale blond wood, nice uplifting colours and textures (fluffy carpet and towels, leather headboard, wood slat blinds, burnished copper backing in wet room and loo) and fabulously well-designed storage: everything you need (cables, adapter, good strong hair dryer, robe, iron, ironing board, Senseo + kettle, umbrella, seriously useful cloth tote bag, etc, etc, etc) -- all so well tucked away that it looks sleek and provides ample room for your own stuff, whether you're there for a day or a week. Service was unfailingly friendly and helpful -- the only glitches were that they erred on the side of telling me it would take longer to get places than it would (but I was never late for appointments!). It's about 30 feet from the MTR entrance and the Taikoo Shing mall, which has everything you need in case what's in the room and what you brought still leave you missing something. Hot tip for British expats: there's an M&S in the mall so if you crave your favourite bikkies with your tea -- there you go! Prices in minibar are reasonable, as are room prices if you shop around online. Breakfast overpriced (about 20 USD) but lovely. There is a very particular HK joy in swimming in a pool surrounded by 20+ storey skyscrapers - reminiscent of the old Hilton -- and everything is scrupulously clean. They did a beautiful job on some laundry I needed doing, they organised my very early morning departure painlessly, I'm running out of compliments here -- it really is that good! Oh, one quirk -- if you order room service it's delivered in paper bags and take-away containers -- still tasty, etc, but under the heading of 'recyclable' you also get a bit of an impression of 'cheap'. What the heck, I was hungry, it was fast, I'm not complaining. Really the only thing I can find to complain about is that both the tea pot and the washbasin tap splashed a bit. So that spoiled it all - not. Loved it, will stop babbling now.

Room Tip: Worth paying the little extra for a harbour view, website makes very clear which ones are which. Hi...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business

We are most grateful that you took the time to post such a wonderful review of your recent visit to EAST, Hong Kong. It is so satisfying to see a review that describes so many of the aspects of the hotel we found would make us stand out when we came up with the concept - the fascinating harbour views, our smart, straightforward and functional room design, plenty of fun useful amenities in our rooms, and most importantly, genuine, friendly and helpful service. I have shared your review with the entire team, and on behalf of all of us, once again thank you! We can't wait to welcome you back to EAST, Hong Kong.

Warm regards,

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

Service better than on previous visits
Food in Feast much improved too
Well located for east district of HK and easy access to Central and Causeway Bay by MTR.
My stay was much more enjoyable by upgrading to a harbour view room - rooms on other side are really overlooked and lacking in light

• Stayed: October 2013
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2013

Many thanks for posting yet another review of your most recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong. In the hospitality world, there is nothing more rewarding than to turn a negative perception into a positive one, and I am delighted to see that we were able to do so for you. We have worked hard to make improvements to our food options throughout the hotel, and clearly it has paid off! I have shared this review with our culinary team and the rest of the staff. We very much appreciate your repeated business and loyalty to our brand, and we look forward to your next stay.

Reviewed November 3, 2013

simple, unfussy, functional on every level, well located and with great facilities all round - gym superb, rooftop bar excellent, rooms exactly what you need. for business travellers, this is an ideal hotel!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your excellent review. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and grateful for every word you used to describe the hotel and service provided. We take pride in being the best business hotel in Hong Kong, and we look forward to continue demonstrating that time and time again.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This is a great business hotel, but I found myself stuck in Hong Kong for a bit due to a medical situation and decided to stay here as it is around the corner from my friend's place.

The hotel is flash and modern, and there's a great bar on the 32nd floor overlooking the harbour. There's also an outdoor area there.

The staff are friendly enough. My friend pointed out that all the staff were wearing joggers so they could react swiftly when there was a customer in need of assistance with baggage, opening doors etc. I think this was a little optimistic though as I had to take my own suitcases to my room and only occasionally is a door opened for me.

So with the service being a little underwhelming given the prices here, I can't give the place a 5. But it's quite luxurious. The beds are very comfortable and the shower is the best I've had in SE Asia recently!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Toothfish

Thank you for taking the time post a review regarding your recent stay. We are happy to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your time at EAST, Hong Kong, and appreciate your highlight of Sugar, our rooftop bar. You mentioned the use of joggers by our team members, which is something unique about EAST, Hong Kong - all of our team members wear Converse shoes as part of their uniform. Your review has been shared with the team so we can ensure the service levels are kept at the highest level so we can exceed your expectations during your next visit.

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Mine was a business trip - short and sweet. My office is very close to where this hotel is located.

Comfortable stay. Quiet rooms. Walk-in shower! Enjoyed my stay here. Absolutely no disturbance.

Resturants serve very good food. Being an Indian, I tried out Indian chicken curry with rice & let me tell u, it was great...not as spicy as Indian food would normally be but really tasty.

It is located very close to MTR station Tai Koo - easy access if u wish to travel. City plaza mall is very close. There is a shop- Prince bakery...u can pick up snacks & pastries from here...they are yummm....

The only issue is the view...not a great view...I was on the 10th floor...so could see other's windows and I wonder what they got to see in my room! Esp if u are a woman, be careful at night - close the venetians properly. That was the only thing. Rest all good.

Room Tip: Try taking the corner rooms - the higher the floor, the better the view.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
Darraya, Manager at EAST Hong Kong, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post a positive review about your recent stay at EAST, Hong Kong and to share several pictures with the TripAdvisor community. It is wonderful to see that you thoroughly enjoyed your time and that the hotel accommodations were perfect for your business trip. I have passed on the compliments regarding the Indian food to our Chef, very flattering coming from someone with a "local" palate. As for the view from your room, I apologize if you were placed on a lower floor, as we have some breathtaking views on the higher floors, particularly in our harbour view rooms. Please don't hesitate to contact me directly at davidarraya@swirehotels.com the next time you're planning a visit, and I will gladly ensure you get a room with one of the best views in Hong Kong. Until then, I remain at your service for anything you may need.