“Good value hotel in central location”

Butterfly On Morrison
Ranked #79 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Toronto, Canada
“Good value hotel in central location”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We spent ten nights at the Butterfly on Morrison in December. It is in a central location, walking distance from Causeway Bay subway station, and great shopping at the many malls in the area. The hotel is a small boutique hotel. Rooms are small, but this is Hong Kong. The rooms are well set up considering the tight space. The bathroom was sparkling clean and modern with great water pressure. There is a tiny fridge, smallest I have ever seen, under the desk. It can hold a few drinks, small containers of yoghurt, etc, but not much more. Air conditioning was very strong and we had to turn it off in the middle of the night as it got so cold. Our room had a great view of the Happy Valley Race Course which is nearby. The hotel does not have any amenities such as a restaurant, gym, etc. There is wifi in the room, as well as two computers in the reception area available for guests' use. If you don't mind staying in a hotel where there are no restaurants or other amenities, I would highly recommend the Butterfly on Morrison for its clean, well-laid out rooms in a great location, all at a reasonable price.

Room Tip: Ask forms room on a higher floor for a good view.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Butterfly_Hotels, Group Guest Services Manager at Butterfly On Morrison, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Thank you for your kind review, we hope you had a wonderful time in Hong Kong.

We are pleased about your understanding about standard of guest room size in Hong Kong, and we are especially glad to know that you were satisfied with our room layout, cleanliness and enjoyed the Happy Valley Racecourse view! By the way, we will surely look into the air conditioning issue you have mentioned and to make improvement on this area immediately.

We look forward to your next visit and many thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
perth, western australia
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Having stayed in B-on-Prat before, I decided to try this one out due to it's proximity to Time Square which suited my purpose.

Surprised to see the ground floor so small, certainly not impressive to travellers. The checkin counter on 3rd floor was lovely and the free use of computers/wi=fi was great.

For a junior room, I'm happy with the size for a solo traveller. The bed was very comfy and I could tell pillows are of good quality too. Although I could understand the theme for 'fushion', unfortunately some ideas are definitely not working.

The round basin in a square corner looks nice but the spout sticks out half way and doesn't leave much room, causing water to splash everywhere. There are no shelves or counter to put personal toiletries (same inside shower area). The funny cut-off corner makes the shower area even smaller with just enough turning room (ok for petite people).

I must complement again the two young men who looked after my checkin. They were extremely friendly and helpful (even helping me load my SIM card, etc). Most staff were happy to check info for me and even offered me an umbrella to use when the rain came (without my asking). If they are junior staff , you certainly have the right people.

Room Tip: For travellers of bigger stature, be careful when booking junior rooms, the shower could be too smal...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Butterfly_Hotels, Group Guest Services Manager at Butterfly On Morrison, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
Thank you for your detailed review! We are glad that you have enjoyed our rooms, location and services.

Firstly we would like to thank you for your wonderful compliments regarding our staffs. We pride ourselves in providing excellent services to our guests and your compliments will be great motivation for our continuous improvement.

And we are very happy to hear your comments about the room, which is really helpful for us to understand further on guest needs and to make necessary improvements. We will make every necessary and possible improvements in order to make our guest's experience more pleasant.

In Butterfly on Morrison, we have choices of more spacious room - Superior, Deluxe, Morrison Executive and Suite. Please do not hesitate to contact us for more information regarding the room size and feature when you are planning for your next trip.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to welcoming you again soon!
Pacific Grove, California
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Morrison is a boutique hotels with more than one franchise in Hong Kong. I got a great deal online for a 3 night stay & paid a little extra for their "superior" junior suite which is advertised to be 172 sq ft. (considered large size in Hong Kong, a place known for homes being the size of birdcages), but I was very disappointed to find out that the room I booked was just their regular suite which was extremely compact with hardly any walkable space once you unload your luggage inside the room. It wasn't until the 2nd day when the cleaning lady was next door that I discovered their larger rooms are at the corners (the bldg itself is an oval shape, so just a tip for future travelers to request for a corner room when making a reservation) and I wondered if I got jipped. Since we were leaving the following day & I couldn't be bothered to repack, I didn't complain to the front desk. The other reason is also bc the hotel really lack communication skills. When the housekeeper forgot to provide us with clean linens and restock our daily sundries, I called the front desk to ask that it be delivered to my room so I can shower after the end of a long day. After waiting more than an hour in my PJs, I finally took the elevator (which was always out of service or preoccupied since the bldg has over 30 floors/4 rooms per level & only one working elevator - so you do the math) to the front desk downstairs to ask what happened. Two staff looked at me blankly and hurried to their back storage room to bring out what I needed. Asking them for a shaver & sewing kit was nearly impossible, even after I used body language to describe to them what we needed, I nearly gave up!

In summary...

The pros: the location isn't bad in between the border of Causeway Bay & Wanchai, but expect to walk a short distance to the nearest MTR metro station (I believe the nearest one is at Times Square), and if you are not familiar with the side streets of Hong Kong for a short cut, you may get lost in the nearby wet market. Also, their wifi was extremely fast & the hotel is also equipped with two iMacs in their lobby on the 3rd floor.

The cons (besides all that I've mentioned above): Very tiny rooms, but well equipped with a portable fridge, a hidden closet with built-in safe, a compact bathroom with rain shower & mini sink the size of a mixing bowl (both kept leaking whenever we used either/or). Also, the bathroom doors are tinted glass so you don't have 100% privacy. The beds were comfy with extra pillows and the A/C worked well. Price does not include breakfast but there's many local Cantonese teahouses less than a block away. And the cleaning ladies are really loud early in the mornings, even with my "DO NOT DISTURB" signage on the door, so maybe pack earplugs?

Room Tip: Request for a corner suite, they are larger.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks a lot for writing us this feedback!

We are very concerned about your experience as you have probably received some inaccurate information while booking our hotel.

In Butterfly on Morrison, Superior Junior Room is the smallest sized one we offer to our guest. We have more spacious room choices in Superior, Deluxe, Morrison Executive & Suite. If possible, we wish you could contact us directly and to let us know the channel you used to booking our hotel. It was disappointing that some non-official booking channels have presented our information incorrectly which seriously affect our guest's expectation & experience.

We strongly recommend all of our guests to book directly from our official website. It guarantee 100% correct information and also the offer is always the best guests can found on the internet.

Anyhow, we would like to apology for the service standard you experienced during your stay. As you might also recognized from other guest's reviews, what you mentioned is not our usual standard and we promise it would be rectified immediately.

We hope we could have one more chance to welcome you back, and to provide you a true Butterfly experience. Thanks again for your feedback!
Dongguan, China
Reviewed March 28, 2013

Nice lobby with beautiful scent. Friendly staffs with great service. The room was small but really neat. However, the location is akwardly between two subway stations. Which makes it quite an effort to approach eaither one.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Butterfly_Hotels, Group Guest Services Manager at Butterfly On Morrison, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
Thank you for your compliments regarding our hotel and services, and we are happy to know that you liked our hotel design and also our scent!

MTR Causeway Bay Station at the Times Square exit is the nearest one from our hotel, it takes only 5-10 mins for the walk and we recommend our guest to use this station instead of walking to the Wan Chai's one.

Hope you had a great time with us and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed March 22, 2013

Nice boutique hotel option right in the heart of Causeway Bay area. I am actually still staying in this hotel for two more nights and have been here for a week so far.

Room and Service: as others have noted the rooms are small but that is typical for most Hong Kong hotels, and at least in the deluxe rooms (should be rooms ending in 01 and 05 on each floor) the floor to ceiling windows on both sides of the room add a ton of natural light and make the small room seem bigger IMO. My room is clean, the bed and pillows are comfortable, the internet speed is good, and I have rested well during my stay here so far. The room I am staying in (2705) has a partially obstructed but pretty good view overlooking the Happy Valley Racecourse. The only downside to the room that I have found is the plastic seat/back on the desk chair. I am pretty sure if I lean all the way back in the chair (which I like to do) I am going to snap the back off.

Location: the location here is very good. Plenty of shopping and dining choices in walking distance. Only 5 minutes walking to Times Square shopping mall and MTR, and only 10 minutes walking to the Wanchai area. Today I walked all the way to the Pacific Place mall (Admiralty MTR stop) and though I wasn't paying attention to time it should not have been more than 20 minutes. As a side note for those needing laundry done, there are some wash and fold laundry and dry cleaning shops right around the corner from the hotel. This is a much lower cost option relative to in-house hotel laundry service.

Overall, this is a good option and value for the cost hotel in Causeway Bay. Outside of the chair issue I mentioned above, the only other thing I didn't like about this and other boutique hotels is the lack of a loyalty program. I travel a lot and like get some credit (whether hotel points or airline miles) for my stays. That said, the rate for this hotel in its' location was a great deal compared to other hotels in the area this week. I shopped around and found the best rate booking via Orbitz. I actually moved over here from the Holiday Inn Express Causeway Bay because this week the HI Express rates went way up I guess due to the Hong Kong 7s going on this weekend, and I would have to say this room is probably a little bit more comfortable than the HI Express.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank xmikex
Thank you for staying with us and for your positive comments about Butterfly on Morrison. We are glad that you found your stay comfortable and liked our hotel location.

We appreciate your suggestion about loyalty program too. Though hotel points are absent, Butterfly hotels have other special offer for our repeating guest. Do have a look at the "Invitation" email which should be sent to you 7 days after you checked out.

Thanks you for your comment again, and we look forward to seeing you again in the very near future!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 22, 2013

We chose this hotel because it was in an area that we weren't sure we'd otherwise see during our trip to Hong Kong. We loved the views from our room, which was clean, comfortable, and quiet. Otherwise, the hotel was basic, but very pleasant. The subway is relatively close, but it takes around 10-15 minutes to get there walking. You'll need to use it to get to most of the sites of interest, and it can be a bit of a trek if you've taken the train in from the airport. Overall, for the price in Hong Kong, we'd definitely stay here again.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Butterfly_Hotels, Group Guest Services Manager at Butterfly On Morrison, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Thank you for your positive review and we are glad that you liked your stay with us. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to Butterfly on Morrison!
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stylish, small boutique hotel. Room is clean, small but functions well. Bathroom is small too but furnished with Kohl I think so it works well! Wall is a tad thin but if you're not a light sleeper then it doesn't matter. Location is near to MTR station for cheap public transport. All in all, highly recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
We are pleased that you had a pleasant stay at Butterfy on Morrison!

Thanks for the recommendation and we look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.