“Boutique hotel in the heart of Causeway Bay”

Butterfly On Morrison
Ranked #79 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Loved my stay here. Only a 5 minute walk away from the closest MTR station, very convenient. Incredible outdoor food market is a minute away, and excellent shopping and restaurants abound in the area.

Rooms were a great value. Very modern and sizable - though probably wouldn't recommend for families because the bathroom is a bit open. Ideal for couples. Definitely not small rooms for HK standards. I'd stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Cesar R
There are newer reviews for Butterfly On Morrison

Reviewed October 29, 2011

Ok, firstly, i am writing this review from room 803 in the Butterfly on Morrison, Hong Kong.

So, firstly the good things;
1) The staff are excellent. Really top notch, helpful and friendly.
2) The hotel is well located and a 5 min walk through a cool market to Causeway Bay MTR.
3) It's modern, clean and everything works. Nice furnishings
4) Free wi fi internet throughout the hotel for the duration of your stay. Brilliant. Why 5* hotels make people pay for Wi Fi is beyond me and pretty appalling actually.

Bad
1) No restaurant. Not the biggest problem but when i'm in Asia, i do want to have a western breakfast in the morning, especially when in Asia for business. Ending up going to the flying pan most mornings.
2) It's noisy. You are in the city so to be expected, but the noise of traffic on the 8th floor is pretty bad. The higher up you are the better the noise problem will be.
3) My room was located opposite the lift and it bings a couple of times every time it arrives on the floor, which was annoying. Hotel is quite narrow so most rooms might have this problem.
4) The biggest problem was that every time the room next to mine turned on a tap, flushed the loo or had a shower, it felt like they were in my bathroom. It was very loud.
5) No bar or lobby area. After a long day of meetings or at trade show i like to come back to my hotel and sit in a comfy lounge chair, have a beer and review the days work. Can't do that in this hotel. They do have a couple of computers near reception you can use but you sit on stools to use it.

Summary

Well, it's a nice, modern and clean hotel with fantastic staff. But i wouldn't stay here again. I want to have breakfast in the morning, i want a lobby area with a bar when i get back after a days work and i don't want the noise issues i had.

Room Tip: The higher the floor you stay on the less you will be effected by traffic noise. You also don't...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank pigsdofly
Reviewed October 26, 2011

I can't imagine how this hotel can claim to be 5 stars! I realise that this is a centre of busy city and room could be small but not THAT small! When on your bed your head is touching bathroom wall while your legs are almost sticking from the window. OK, I exaggerate a bit but you can touch the window by your legs as there is practically no space between the bed and window, And the widow is facing busy multi-level cross road intersection (plus trams!). I was ones in Nippon hotel by railway station in Kyoto facing the square with hundreds of busses taking passengers to and from the station. ANd - it was so quiet, you can hear a fly flies.

The secret - double glazing and pricise setting. Thta is how it should be in noisy places.
I had to stay at Butterfly for 2 nights. I hardly slept on first night and seriously considered to move out for my second night even with loss of money. I did not as I did not have enough enrgy after sleepless night and somehow I survived my second night.
There is no breakfast available in there, and if you need to wait for consierge there is no seats. Just standing.
Girls at reception were nice but it did not save the situation.

Room Tip: No go - my advice.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Natabella
Maxing, Manager at Butterfly On Morrison, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2011

Thanks so much for your feedback and we are really sorry that you didn’t have a good sleeping quality on your trip. We really hope we had the chance to solve your problem during your stay. We will review specific room’s soundproofing quality carefully and seek for any necessary improvement as soon as possible. Please consider staying with us again and we are confident to offer you a true and pleasant experience at Butterfly.

Reviewed October 23, 2011

I was supposed to stay at the Excelsior Causeway Bay for a conference, but I missed the booking window, and from talking to my colleagues I was lucky! Booking a month ahead I got a decent rate of an average of HK$1,350 per night including taxes. Given that I was travelling alone and that the conference schedule was quite full, a convenient bed was my top priority, which is what the Butterfly offers. I had the smallest ("Superior") room on the 10th floor; I could see the hills at the back of Hong Kong, framed by some pretty tatty flats.

The room consists of a bed, a counter desk with all the required connections, a cupboard, free-use mini-fridge, and a rather tiny toilet and shower booth. There are free slippers in the room, but as the toilet and entrance are both tiled, I did worry about dirty footprints. The stand-alone basin was tiny, but I suppose it keeps the cleaners employed... I could have done with a little more shelf space for even my modest needs - the mirror looked as if it might open up to reveal a triangular cupboard, but I couldn't find out how! There was also no hairdryer in the room.

Location was great, 2 7-11s close for forgotten essentials, and Time's Square and other shopping areas 10 minutes walk away. Vegetarians, though, will need to keep eyes straight ahead and hold their breath while walking through the surrounding markets!

As others have said, street noise is a problem past about 7am. I did find the staff friendly, although I had no direct contact outside check-in and check-out. I couldn't work out the air-conditioning in detail, but I usually managed to get it to run cool when needed!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled on business

Many thanks for your positive review and we are glad that we offered you a convenient and comfortable stay. We look forward to serving you again in the near future!

Reviewed October 19, 2011

For HKG, the space in the room was average, meaning small, but I was on 21st floor with amazing views. The wireless worked well and the shower was excellent. I grew to like the location a lot too since it is only a block away from a food market area with many vendors selling fruit, fish (live), meats, etc, and Time Square/Causeway Bay MTR entrance also a short walk. Hennessy trolly/bus too. Of course my trip was literally ruined when I hit my toe on the leg of the bed and broke a toe! My main activity is dance and this was worst injury ever. The carpet is dark, and the legs of the furniture are chrome - reflecting the dark carpet and disappearing. Light level low too unless you put on the bright florescent lights. A friend stopped by and stubbed her toes on the chair leg in minutes. (Tight corners in room also contribute to this). Staff is only passable. I got the "blank stare" when I told them about my toe and simple things like borrowing an umbrella seemed complicated. Worse was that they double charged laundry to the card I had on file with them and then another card I used to settle my bill upon checkout! They don't answer the phone and the web site has NO contact form or info. Thumbs way down to that...

Room Tip: Ask for high floor due to considerable street noise in HK
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Thanks for your feedback. Please accept our heartfelt apology concerning your injury, wish you have recovered from that already and have resumed your dancing activities. By the way our service standard is set to be much more caring and helpful, really sorry that our staff did not deliver such service standard to you during your stay. We hope you will come back to stay with us again, and we promise to provide you a much more pleasant and enjoyable stay.

Reviewed October 19, 2011

Booked a superior and got upgraded to a deluxe, which was nice, I think a superior would have been way too small. The rooms are adequate and on par with hong kong, carpeted which I don't like, but no smoke odor, or other smells. The wifi is unusable, but every room has LAN which is good. There is dust, dirt and grime under tables and beds, looks like maid service only does a perfunctory clean, not bothering with stuff slightly out of the way.

The location is OK, close to the wet market which can be crazy crowded at times, but it's decent. I think for the price, there are better hotels in Hong Kong to stay at.

Reviewed October 17, 2011

We found this hotel very very nice. The rooms are new, extremely nicely furnished, modern and everything is nice and clean. The rooms are small but so are most the hotel rooms in Hong Kong, at least the ones I have seen so I did not thinks thats a problem.

The building looks more like an office building so at first we were having trouble believing this is actually the hotel we were looking for. Staff at reception polite and efficient. Good location - close to shopiing areas and metro,.

We simply loved this place!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anskianna

We are glad that you liked the stays in our hotel so much. Our team looks forward to serving you again during your next stay.