“Great food, plenty of history but staff so rude!”
Review of Luk Yu Tea House

Luk Yu Tea House
Ranked #47 of 231 Coffee & Tea in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed October 22, 2013

I guess I should have been warned by most of the reviews how rude staff can be there. But this old place was full on a Saturday lunch. The food was excellent, I thoroughly enjoyed my Dim Sums.

1  Thank ThierryBMaidenhead
There are newer reviews for Luk Yu Tea House

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I would give 5 points for the authentic feeling and food, however, it deserves only 4 because the service was quite bad. In fact, one of the worst in town from my short stay experience. On the other hand, dim sums are amazing! I tried them in other places, but I liked it here the most. Just order several of them. I could probably eat 3-4 dishes.

Moreover, the feeling is very authentic. Especially if you get a seat at the street level. If you want dim-sum in an authentic place, this is definitely for you!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Actually the food is good not great, they still make the dim sum on the premise, so many tea houses now buy same from a factory. Tea is excellent but the good not great food is also a bit pricey, but what you are really getting is a wonderful historical environment. Some of the waiters have been there over 50 years, like Mr Chan waiter #31 on the 3rd floor. While tourists are sort of welcomed there is a long hard core loyal patrons. As a loyal patron since Luk Yu relocated to this location in 1976, I can say I love this Tea House and its history.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

Remember going to this place over 20 years ago and all I remembered was how loud this restaurant was and the attitude of the waiters that this restaurant is famous for,

It is not easy to get a reservation there and we made an effort to book a table for 10 pax about 10 days ahead. Just a get-together with friends so we did not preorder some of their specialities. Of course we had both sweet and sour pork with pineapple and ribs with ginger which this restaurant is famous for and both these and other dishes were really good.

The service staff were really helpful and extremely friendly (maybe my expectation was very low) recommendations for what dishes to order was spot on . Even told us not to over order.

The dinner was excellent and before we left we ask whether there was available booking for the next evening and happily they had a table available. We had a family dinner planned at a different restaurant already and cancelled that booking to come back here. We also ordered some of their specialities which requires 24 hour preparation. Salt Baked Chicken and Eight Treasure Braised Duck.

Salt Baked Chicken is a standout, Juicy, and full of flavor. Definitely one of the best I ever had, and highly recommend this dish.

We had different service staff for both night and both nights they were really attentive and helpful . Nothing like what I expected.

Lastly the dessert of almond tea with egg white is smooth and not so sweet but very tasty.

Will be on my list whenever I get back to Hong Kong again

1  Thank ABMS
Reviewed September 7, 2013

right in central. it is one of the old classic tea houses in hong kong. a step into the past of what things are. famous for the sweet and sour pork. the rest of quite forgettable. still worth a visit if this is your first time in hong kong. stop by, have a bite but don't expect a culinary journey.