“Delicious Dim Sum”

Luk Yu Tea House
Ranked #41 of 275 Coffee & Tea in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Late Night, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Central
“Delicious Dim Sum”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It was a unique privilege to dine at Luk Yu Tea House. Knowing the long history and challenge of finding an opportunity of dining here made the visit special. My wife and I found the Dim Sum to be extremely good! Like any good local establishment it has made its place with locals who remain the customers that are most valued. That means getting a seat is near impossible which is sad but understandable.

• Visited February 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto
“Dim Sum at its finest”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Luk Yu Tea House is one of Hong Kong's oldest dim sum restaurants dating back to 1933. It is located down on Stanley Street in the Central District.

Most visitors will find themselves sitting in the upper floor because the lower floor is reserved for long time regulars.

The staff were friendly and the food was tasty and fresh. Walking into the dining room, you feel like you've been whipped back in time to the old colonial days.

Definitely worth having dim sum here.

Visited November 2012
Singapore, Singapore
“Not interested even to take yr reservation if you r a foreigner”
Reviewed July 24, 2013

3 weeks before going to HK, I called Luk Yu to make a reservation for 3 pax. All this done in their language, Cantonese. (I was recommended to go there by a wealthy friend of mine). The 1st person I spoke to on the phone took down my name and ask for my phone no. But before I gave it to him, I told him that I am from Singapore, he told me to hold on and pass my call to another person. When the 2nd person found out that I am from Singapore, he again passed my call to a 3rd person who did not even ask for my name, phone no or the date of the reservation but just said OK,OK in a hurried voice and he put down the phone before I could say something.

I my opinion, they are not interested to serve a foreigner.

• Visited May 2013
Shanghai, China
“DO NOT GO HERE - RACIST ESTABLISHMENT!!!!!”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

My husband (who is a Hong Kong citizen) and I went to this restaurant and I am just horrified over what happened to us. In the six months that I have lived in Asia I have never been so disgusted by any experience. After a long day of walking around I wanted a cup of tea. I am an avid tea drinker and wanted a more authentic tea house. He and I frequent all the off-beat tea houses/restaurants and shy away from tourist spots. We came across Luk Yu Tea House and decided to give it a go. Upon being greeted at the door, when we said we wanted a pot of tea, they informed us THEY DO NOT SERVE TEA. I pointed to everyone in the building who had tea pots on their table and the waiter told us it was only a very generic tea and wasn't what we were looking for. He even said that the actual tea was only served upstairs in the morning time (it was mid-afternoon) but that was closed now.

Now we knew RIGHT AWAY that he was lying to us. The reason being? I am not Chinese. I knew, by the way he was looking at me with hate, that he didn't want us in the restaurant. I've read the other stories here where people suspect racism from this establishment ~ well I am here to tell you that all your suspicions are true. There is NO REASON why he lied to us and literally TURNED US AWAY from his restaurant. The only explanation for this type of behavior is RACISM to the extreme.

Hong Kong is an amazing place to be ~ do not ruin your experience here with a restaurant that gives Hong Kong a bad name! This place is not worth your time, especially if you are a foreigner.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank Rene K
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Traditional Hong Kong food.”
Reviewed July 5, 2013

Would highly recommend coming here if you want a taste of how things were back in the old days. The food is really good, our service was quick and efficient and the staff all dress as they did back in the olden days as keeping with tradition. A little expensive but worth it.

Visited May 2013