“Room was too small for two person”

Oriental Lander Hotel
Ranked #367 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Just average for this hotel, the room was too small.
Have to take turn to walk around inside the room with a small floorspace beside bed toward bathroom.
Our luggage have to put on bed or else we couldn't open our door to exit the room.
A bit distant from Prince Edward MTR,walk about 10 min. Located near the hardware street.
Another budget hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank pnMazzy

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We needed a triple bedroom, this hotel was quite good value - though room was very small, with even smaller shower! Double bed had a really hard mattress.
Location is a bit awkward to get to, though not too far from Prince Edward MTR station. Room had a TV but no extra channels in English, so you're stuck with only Pearl news in the evenings. There was a kettle and chinese teabags, plus a fridge with bottled water - no other drinks (so go to the Wellcome supermarket outside).
No wifi in the rooms at all, only in the G/F lobby. Very limited choice of restaurants nearby so walk down to Mong Kok, only one station away. Bus 212 goes there from around the corner on Lai Chi Kok road.

Room Tip: The double rooms very small, the triple not much larger. No window views at all except to rear of bu...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank GaryWong
Reviewed November 17, 2012

The first thing that would greet you as soon as you enter the Lobby is the amazing aroma thats so unique and refreshing.

The Hotel Rooms are well equipped but must I add , very small !

This is ideal for Short but Comfortable Stays ... The Hotel is located in Mong Kok and is very near to the market Places and food joints and Massage Joints.

The inroom facilities are excellent and overall services are good.

Getting a Taxi may be a little work involved but if you love to walk , the Metro is nearby ...

Room Tip: Check out the ROOMS before you Check in ..
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Ariinss
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I was booked in here with 5 of my staff by my secretary at the last minute, as we were struggling to find a reasonably priced hotel with 6 rooms available. Obviously with that many rooms we needed to stay within a certain budget, luckily I told her to book anything, but only for the first 4 nights of our 3 week business trip.

I only had time to read reviews at the airport, and was a bit concerned, but thought hey, how bad can it be?

30 minutes to check in 6 guests, then up to the room. I thought it was some sort of joke when I opened the door, my girlfriend was with me and we had 3 large cases between us. When we eventually got them in the room (no mean feat due to the lack of space), there was not an inch of floorspace left. I have never seen a room this small, I think a prison cell would be bigger. No hanging space and nowhere to put our cases, we sat on the bed for 5 minutes feeling like sardines. I then went to reception to complain.

They had a triple available - more like a corridor actually, and not much more space, but at least there was a spare bed to put our cases on so we could actually move about the room. I paid an average of HK$1,000 per room, plus HK$400 per night for my upgrade. OK maybe cheap, but not hostel prices, which is what this effectively was.

Calling themselves a hotel would land them in court with the Trading Standards people in most countries. This hotel is an absolute joke, avoid at all costs. We needed to be in the general area for work, so wasn't bothered by location. We moved to the Panda Hotel for an average of an extra HK$300 per room per night, got executive rooms with lounge access, real life sized rooms, swimming pool, gym, etc. etc.

Avoid at all costs, lesson learnt, it's not worth trying to save a few dollars on accommodation in HK

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Tim J
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I ordered a room via Agoda ,they are very good at it, however may be because of the rate I paid ,I got a room? Actually a cell . Something that has 2 meter width and less the 4 meters long.
No place to put your suitcase and no place for anything else.
The shower is 0.6x0.6 meter which means you can not move. Same size is the toilet.
The room was pretty clean .
I would recommend to anyone to check before hand what he is really getting.
I was lucky to stay only one night.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
3  Thank Davidp_10
Reviewed August 22, 2012

Everything is great about the hotel, just that the room is too small. It provided hair drier, shower cap, boiling kettle, toothpaste and toothbrush... There isn't really space to open luggage. Hotel was safe and comfortable for travelers from other countries. The hotel staff tried to be helpful and answer all of our questions. The subway was a short distance away which made it convenient for traveling to other destinations. It was possible to receive some tourist advice from the staff on duty.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank JH6774
Reviewed May 23, 2012

My husband and my son (16 years old) checked in to Oriental Lander Hotel in January 2012. We stayed there for 5 nights. We love the room so much although it is a bit small but I am happy that there have another smaller room for my son. The room and the bathroom are neat and clean. There is a place for us to put our luggages and bags too.

I like the room as when we walk in turning to the left is our room and turning to the right is my son's room and bathroom is facing the room entrance.

Another thing I am appreciate about the hotel is the staff there. They are helpful and very friendly. The location of the hotel is not too bad as it only takes about 10 minutes for us to reach MTR Station. It is very easy for us to get food nearby too.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family