“Off the beaten path but worth it”

Lamma Mandarin Seafood
Ranked #1,308 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Derby, United Kingdom
“Off the beaten path but worth it”
Reviewed January 8, 2014

You catch a boat from next to the star ferry terminal

The boat trip takes about 40 minutes but the views are spectacular of the Hong Kong at night - and this is just the Taxi that takes you to the Island.

When you arrive at the pier you have a choice of turning Left at the end or Right - we have done both and personal preference - Turn Right the food is just that much nicer and .......well the staff more accomodating and helpful.

You wont be disappointed in anything you order but dont expect silver service or fancy decor. It just plain simple good food well cooked and well served.

Enjoy

• Visited October 2013

“Attentive service and good food.”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I decided to try the Lamma Mandarin because the server was nice enough to talk to me whilst I looked through the menu - unlike other restaurants in Sok Kwu Wan.

I had the garlic prawns and scallop with rice noodles, served with rice and vegetables. The prawns were some of the best I've had in a long time; the batter was crisp and the garlic was just the right amount to get the palate going. The scallop wasn't as good, but was beautifully presented on the half shell and was tasty enough to be satisfied.

I paid HK$140 for this and for a Coke Zero, and I felt I got good value for money - there was no service charge but despite this service was very attentive and very friendly, which definitely helped.

• Visited August 2013
Tweed Heads, Australia
“first time”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

No where as good as the Tai Yuen but good all the same. The service was a bit slow and we got our meal in dribs and brabs. but we had a good view and a cold beer while we were waiting. 7 out of 10

Visited October 2012
London
“These guys know you wont come back!”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

I live in HK and i had been recommended to go to the Rainbow seafood restaurant which we would have done except they didnt have a table for 2 (+baby) free. So we went to the Lamma Mandarin next door. Simply put i hope this serves as a warning for others not to eat their food.

The fish tanks suggest big fresh fish & lobsters. The reality is that the lobster is about 1/8 of the size and very premature . It also looks like it spent its final weeks at Fukishima nuclear plant. The squid was so heavily fried i felt sick for hours afterwards. It was also cold suggesting it had been on the side for a while.

The rice had frozen vegetables in it as well.

In fact very little was fresh.

They were not bothered. They even snatched our plates away in a seemingly bad mood that we had complained.

Visited April 2011
hong kong
“good food, the owner is unreliable”
Reviewed November 22, 2010

The food was good. When I paid, the owner charged 3 times more for drinks then the actual price was on the menu. He had some lame excuses for that. Also he said my creditcard was not accepted and did the same procedure another time. When I checked my creditcard payments, I noticed that I paid twice for this lunch. Altogether a total rip off.