“Outstanding”

Ranked #1 of 716 Hotels in Hong Kong
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Outstanding”
Reviewed February 11, 2011

3 nights at Upper House was a pleasure indeed. The suite was large, the bathroom amazing, good views over HK. Quiet, top notch service, good location next to Pacific Place. Greys for dinner was superb and like a completely different restaurant than at breakfast so there's no problem eating there for both. I was really happy with Upper House, there's a lot of competition in Hong Kong for good hotels but I can't imagine a hotel being more suitable to our requirements. It's modern, comfortable, spacious with little touches that made our stay perfect. I'd recommend too the airport transfer. We know HK well but it was still nice to have a meet and greet at the airport and we were at the hotel 40 mins after arrival - way easier than the airport express and taxi and well priced too.

1 Thank MataiDubai

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (530)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 27, 2011

I booked this for my partner's birthday and overall had a good experience.

Positives:
* Very efficient and welcoming booking process. The concierge/guest experience team seemed to go well beyond the call of duty by asking what could be done to make the experience better (they provided a DVD player in the room so we could watch DVDs for example). They organised restaurant bookings in their own place and elsewhere in advance. They also noticed that it was my partner's birthday and asked about his interests so they could buy an appropriate gift
* Friendly checking in procedure. No paperwork, it's all done in the room on an ipad. Can imagine some people might not like that but this particular girl was chatty and friendly, and we were in no rush so was fine
* Well appointed room. The hotel is new, so there wasn't any shabbiness. Very automated with remote control lighting and curtains etc. For Hong Kong, it was very spacious too.
* Views on 38th floor. They do make a fuss about reminding you to shut the curtains at night so that others can't see in! Helpful as it can be easy to enjoy looking out when at that height
* Good food in their restaurant (can't remember name but it's on the top floor)
* Wireless internet and free mini-bar snacks and soft drinks. Nothing rubs us up the wrong way more than extortionate charges for these in normal hotels. It was one of the main factors in booking this hotel originally! (it was a debate between this and the mandarin oriental)

Cons:
* I specificially booked a harbour view room, since my partner loves it (we used to live in HK), plus we got engaged in front of it. But it wasn't really visible unless you stood in the far corner of the room and looked round the side of the building. Naturally I assumed that this couldn't be the harbour room but didn't want to make a huge fuss (they had said the hotel was fully booked) - also we were recovering from NYE party (!) However, I did double check this when checking out (you don't receive a paper bill to check these things so I had to ask). I was told it was a 'partial harbour view' room. I disputed this and after a bit of attempting to get out of it ("ah but it's a larger floor size".. "it's the same floor size as the city view room of the same category, which is cheaper" etc.) and checking the internet booking form to see if I was lying, they conceded the difference. I did double check this had been corrected when I received the bill via email, and it had
* I had to ask three times for extra drinking water to be delivered and it never arrived. Not great after a New Year's Eve weekend in Hong Kong
* When changing the TV in the bedroom, the remote control activates the TV in the bathroom. Bit annoying when either a) you want to watch different things in different rooms, and b) it doesn't always work and you end up watching one and overhearing another, or one doesn't turn off when you shut down for the night. Not a dealbreaker, but didn't seem well thought out
* Another small issue, but there is a separate mini-room in the bathroom for the toilet. The huge bathroom has a light switch but I personally don't feel the need to light an entire mass of space just for a tiny cubicle, especially at night when the other half is sleeping. If they could add another switch in there, maybe with a dimmer even (!) then it would be an improvement. Again, not a deal-breaker
* Location is ok, and great in the grand scheme of Hong Kong. For a tourist that wants to do all the designer shopping it's great, right next to Pacific Place. Can be a bit difficult to find at first as taxi drivers don't know it, but you just need to tell them it's next to the Marriott (by Pacific Place). Can get out at the Marriott lobby, it's about 10metres away
* They didn't actually provide any gift to my partner! After all the emails back and forth I was quite looking forward to seeing what they came up with. There were a few things wrapped up (branded pen, notebook etc) which I thought must be the gift, but when we checked out there was a big bundle of similar looking presents so maybe this was the christmas/new year thing they did. There was also no card of mention of his birthday during the stay so they must have forgotten it. Not a deal-breaker again, but gives the impression they are not totally on top of their game.

Overall, it was very good and I would recommend it. If I had a choice between this and the Penninsula, I'd definitely choose the latter - for a start, if you book a harbour-view room, you actually do get a harbour view room (and it is amazing). A hotel like this doesn't need to resort to those sorts of gimmicks to get a few extra bucks out of its guests. For the other 'cons', I'm tempted to give the benefit of the doubt as it's new. But I would hope it sorts them out and doesn't end up one of these 'style over substance' trendy hotels.

1 Thank nittypicker
Hong Kong
Reviewed January 24, 2011

My wife and I have lived in Hong Kong for about four years now and in our opinion The Upper House is the best hotel in Hong Kong.

The rooms are spectacular. We booked the cheapest one and found it was really a suite rather than a room. It didn't face the harbour but still had a fantastic view all the way from Admiralty (near the centre of town) to Causeway Bay (to the East). This is because the floors are so high up (we were on the 42nd floor) and enhanced by almost floor to ceiling windows.

The decor in the room is very contemporary with lots of natural materials used in its fixtures and fittings. The bed was king size and comfortable. The bathroom was very stylishly decorated and has a separate bath and (rain) shower. For convenience and privacy, the toilet is in its own separate part of the suite.

The bathroom has electric blinds controlled with a special remote (so you can open and close them from the bath if like!) There is also a TV recessed into a wall above the bath. It is possible to listen to the audio from the bedroom TV in the bathroom. So, if you want to watch the bathoom TV, first make sure you turn down the volume on the bedroom TV using the buttons on the wall next to the bathroom's (double) sinks . Otherwise you will hear audio from both TVs at the same time.

The rooms also have a "maxi" bar i.e. a super sized mini bar. All the contents are free, except the wine. This is a great idea that I wish other hotels would follow. It means you don't feel ripped off if you decide to take something from it - because, in effect, you have already paid for it. Of course, it also means that you are more likely to make the best of it before you leave!

The hotel restaurant breakfast was delicious and very plentiful. It is served as in a restaurant and not a buffet, which I much prefer. It is well worth adding this to your package.

As stated in the title of this review, soon after I mentioned, in passing, that it was my birthday, we found that the hotel staff had left a cake for me in the room. A special touch from a very special hotel.

1 Thank pmalam
Singapore
Reviewed January 17, 2011

Outstanding Hotel of the upper class, amenities, brilliant, bed, soft comfy and fantastic view, bathroom so dramatic, want to take it home.
all that can be thought of, has been, for me a 99 pointer

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Total-Biz-Traveller
Kyoto, Japan
Reviewed January 3, 2011

Tranquil, spacious, amazingly well-appointed rooms in flawless setting. Having stayed multiple times at the Island Shangri-la (next door), the Peninsula and the Four Seasons, I have to say that this is my new favorite. One can forgive the check in/out via hip i-pad wielding techno-savvy staff (seemingly sharing the bell desk), because the rooms are simply stunning. The bathrooms alone are larger than many Hong Kong hotel rooms. Breakfast service is efficient and the hotel restaurant is good, although the bar scene is a bit "happening" and the noise can overwhelm dinner conversation. Location is convenient to shopping and public transport. Would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank windance
quevara
Reviewed January 2, 2011

Perfect location, above the upmarket Pacific Place mall. Beautiful serene hotel, wonderfully designed. Truly a home away from home. Service from everyone we encountered was friendly, polite and genuine. Fantastic restaurant and bar on the top floor. I don't know why anyone would bother going to the bar next to Felix, the restaurant at the top of The Pensinsula, after they've been to Cafe Gray Deluxe.

In terms of the rooms at the Upper House, we stayed for 6 nights in a studio 80. Large rooms, the bathroom is fantastic and I loved the Ren toiletries replenished twice a day and the mini bar replenished daily. Turn down service was always polite and thoughtful.

The cocktails at Cafe Gray Deluxe were absolutely beautiful. Not weakly poured either, which was a real pleasant surprise. We had a very pleasant dinner there one night. Both my entree and main was delicious and the service was polite and knowledgeable. I have not mentioned the stunning views and wonderful atmosphere until now but wow!!!

I will add that I got food poisoning after my dinner at Cafe Gray. I think it was from my main of halibut and mussels, or it could be my steak tartar entree BUT, the food and beverage manager was absolutely fantastic when my partner informed him of this the next day. He rang me to ask how I was and sounded genuinely concerned and said that th obviously are taking this very seriously. He then sent us some complimentary chicken soup and bread. I think getting food poisoning was bad luck but I was super impressed with the way thy handled the whole sitution.

Will definitely stay here again.

2 Thank quevara
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 28, 2010

Have stayed at many HK hotels before...Landmark Mandarin (my old benchmark), JW Marriott, Shangri-La, Conrad...this in my opinion is the best

Pros:
- Outstanding rooms - just pure luxury, urban chic modern design, fantastic bathroom AND it is huge...the best hotel room I've ever stayed in. Best beds I've slept in too. Very modern with ordering done by iphones etc. Nice views. The Trump in NY and Landmark Mandarin Oriential are probably 2nd best for me
- Service, decor and feel is very luxurious and 5 star, but still retains that boutique feel
- Bar / restaurant upstairs is one of the places to be seen in HK - very popular, stunning views
- Gym is very classy and nice, although limited number of equipment
- Softest plushest bathrobes I've ever put on!
- Value is surprisingly good - not that dissimilar to the other 5 stars in the area

Cons:
- No swimming pool - this was disappointing for a lover of a morning swim
- Location is a litte further away than the Shangri-La / Conrad from the Central area - it still sits on top of Pacific Place which is great, but at the end further away from Central...but it really is only a further 2 min walk...and cabs are so cheap in HK.

Overall, despite some shortcomings, still have to give this 5 star purely on the quality of the rooms.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank love2travelTokyo