“One of the best city hotel experiences”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 25, 2014

After having left the Grand Hyatt due to massive renovation work, I arrived the Upper House and was more than pleasantly surprised. A zen-like atmosphere with a highly professional and service-minded staff makes you feel comfortable the minute you arrive. The elegant, sober and highly qualitative interiors is a true change from recent years "boutique hotel concepts" that very rapidly tend to become gimmicky and outdated. The rooms are spacious and well-thought out and you can feel that for once an architect has really given it a thought before deciding where to put sockets, buttons and curtain control etc. which makes the stay easy and user-friendly.

Delicious food and impeccable, discrete service at the restaurant on the 49th floor with one of the best views of Hong Kong and the bar on the same floor is the perfect spot for a casual pre-dinner drink.

The Upper House is truly one of the best urban hotel experiences in the world right now. A must when you stay in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 4003 with a beautiful views of skyscrapers and the hills.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2014

Dear Claus

Thank you for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to know that after your first choice of hotels, you arrived “home”. Thank you for recommending us to likeminded travellers as well as for describing us as “one of the best city hotel experiences”.

We hope to see you soon again and do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed March 25, 2014

I have stayed in some of the best hotels that the world has to offer but nothing really compares to this piece of heaven on earth. Sashi and Kristina were fabulous as the Guest Experience Managers - and the iPod technology that controlled everything from check in to room service made the whole stay wonderfully easy (and very 21st century). These really are rooms with a view - and particularly from the bathroom. Floor to ceiling windows and baths that you can sleep in. Ren accessories and spacious room plans made for a truly unforgetable stay (and I was only here on business). Cafe Grey is quite special. A popular bar with an extraordinary view and chefs that go out of their way to accommodate (I am vegetarian) their clientele by going off piste with recommendations of dishes that are not on the menu. However, none of that compares to the amazing service and attention to detail. I accounted one evening to Kristina how I was missing my 2 beautiful little girls and that they were missing me (the downsides of Facetime) - but I still had another week of business travel left. On the evening before my checkout, the management team had gift wrapped 2 beautiful wooden boxes of coloured pencils, a children's book on Hong Kong and a gorgeous UH candle to take home. They really listen, they really care and that's what makes this place second to none. I will be staying there again and I wouldn't recommend any other place on Hong Kong Island.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

We are glad to read your comments about “6 star service” and I have shared your glowing review also with Kristina and Sashi.
It is the people who make a place and we are very honored to work with such amazing hospitality professionals.

Unfortunately I was not able to meet you in person but I hope to do so during your return visit.

Reviewed March 24, 2014

I would like to thank the staff for the fantastic experience at the Upper House. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we felt much more than welcomed, every single service experience was approached with extreme professionalism by a very warm staff. It was a truly WOW effect, expectations were definitely exceeded. Well done!

Room Tip: Harbor view
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

We are much honored to read of all your praises about service levels and the way our team exceeded your expectations.
Whilst it may be easier to build an amazing hotel, maintain and exceed the expectations of our guests is not- rest assured that I shared all your kind words with the individuals who looked after you during your stay.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Excellent hotel with spectacular in-room views of Kowloon. Outstanding service and spacious rooms with complete amenities. Hotel is centrally and very conveniently located. This was our first visit to the hotel and we will certainly stay here again on our next trip to HK.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sehdeva

We are glad to know that you praise “our house” for its service levels, location and design.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

We have been staying in Upper House since 2012 every time there was a special occasion, Upper House was our prize! There was no point in keeping this secret all to ourselves as Upper House more than deserves to be published as the peg for all that is "the BEST" in a hotel! Upper House is an interior architectural gem tucked in Pacific Place. From its impressive driveway, the zen inspired lobby, the mysterious escalators that open up to a sky garden. Then to the serene & relaxing suites, this hotel delivers a perfect "journey" that unfolds in each step. All architectural details have been so carefully well thought of -- the bed with its sheets can only pave way to dreamland and oh, the maxi bar -- which is such a delight -- cookies, m&ms, nuts are all free. The personal service is just so exceptional! They think about your needs even before you ask. This is definitely our second home!!! As for the location, just a few steps away is the Pacific Place mall with the best shops and restaurants in HK. There are theaters too in the mall. The MRT is also there and this would connect you to everywhere. Upper House is a home away from home!!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family

We appreciate all your patronage since 2012 and thank you again for returning again and again.
We are happy to know that you value our approach to service and the various unique design aspects of our hotel.

We hope to see you soon again, whether it be to celebrate a special occasion or just a short weekend getaway.

Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed March 22, 2014

The Upper House is perfect. There is nothing it could do to be better. It has a great location. The harbor view rooms are spectacular, both with the views outward, and with the expensively-finished, beautifully-designed contemporary rooms. Between the great restaurant with the same views, and the inspirational hotel room, one does not want to leave the hotel. The staff are so kind and anxious to assist. No snobbishness. This hotel is so different from many luxurious hotels where you feel that you need a pocket full of money to give every time you ask someone a question. When one flies from the U.S. to Asia, Hong Kong would be a good arrival city, especially if one could have a night, or two, or three at The Upper House. (We got some Hong Kong Dollars from our U.S. bank before leaving; it was great not to have to take time to find a currency exchange upon arrival at the airport.)
It is worth going to Hong Kong just to stay at this hotel. It is that great.

Room Tip: We prefer a room with a harbor view, instead of a mountain view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aikenfans

We are much honored to hear that you recommend our hotel to fellow travellers. It is rewarding to know that you appreciated our approach to service and that you would fly to Hong Kong just to stay with us.

I would love to have the opportunity to meet you personally during your next visit.

In the meantime, do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed March 20, 2014

Luxurious spacious suites with fantastic views over Hong Kong. Loved the bathroom with my favourite REN products, flat screen tv opposite the bath and city views.
The hotel has wonderful little touches in the rooms, yoga mats in the wardrobe, the complimentary 'maxi-bar' with snacks and drinks a-plenty, the Dim-Sum guide book, paperless technology - everything works via the ipod provided. The restaurant and Sky Lounge are beautiful with first class drinks, food and service.
Service throughout our stay was impeccable - Marcel and Kristina are wonderful at their jobs!
A* hotel. Hope to come back soon.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

We are happy to hear that you not only enjoyed the philosophy of our “paperless environment” but also the design aspect of our rooms as well as the service.

I appreciate your personal greetings and rest assured, I have shared them with Kristina as well.