“Worth all the accolades.”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 16, 2014

Yes, I am another one of the "trip advisor was right" converts, and I'm afraid this review will be blubbering on about our amazing stay. After a grueling 2 months of working 16 hr days, we treated ourselves to a room here while in town visiting family and the place left quite an impression. The attention to detail was evident from the moment we walked in. Exhausted from our delayed flight, we were immediately upgraded to one of the fabulous suites on the 47th floor with a Victoria Harbour view. It made our trip that much more special.

Cafe Gray was first class. The treats in the room were appreciated and I made use of the yoga mat for a Sunday morning yoga class with Wayne and ended up with a private session! A design feature I really loved was the music in every room. Oh, and the bathroom. What an outstanding space. Truly the relaxing retreat we were hoping to find. When we checked out to head to Singapore for a few days, Edward (congrats on your wedding!) was ready with recommendations on things to do in a follow up email that showed their dedication to customer care.

And, it turned out that The Upper House saved the second half of our holiday as well! We returned to HK and found our AirBnB booking had fell through, so Vinchi made sure we got the very same upgrade at the last minute (thank you!). And we loved the signature scent of the hotel so much, we picked up a room spray and a candle upon check out -- which I am afraid I'll use up far too soon and then our holiday will truly be over.

Overall, it really was was one of the most memorable holidays we've had and we can't wait to return.

Room Tip: I really cannot fault the suites with their panoramic views. What a lovely treat.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank doestravels
Marcel T, General Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your second stay on tripadvisor.com

Your review surely will help others within the tripadvisor.com community to choose a suitable hotel when travelling to Hong Kong.

Your comments about the service provided by Edward and Vinchi are very kind; rest assured I have shared your review with them and the rest of the team.

I empathize with you in regards to running out of our room scent. Do contact me via email at marcelthoma@swirehotels.com and we will gladly ship you some more samples to your home.

Do stay in touch and we hope to be able to welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

This was my second time staying at The Upper House HK. Several days before my stay, I already received welcoming email for my return. First ever from any hotels. The check-in was a breeze. It took less than a minute, with the records of my last stay all on file.
The room looked small when first walked in. But when I roll open the door next to the TV, I found a big walkin closet together with vanity and toilet, and an adjacent full bath room complete shower and bath tub. The bed room, although not big, is equipped with writing desk and sitting area with quite large sofa. One can appreciate that everything in the room is designed for sake of comfort of the guests.
Another unique feature of The Upper House is that the minibar is free except wine. The stock in the minibar include exotic bottled water and beer.
The checking out was also a breeze. All I needed to do was to sign the I-pad, and the bill was later emailed to me.
The Upper House is a different kind of luxurious hotel experience.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank VTK

We are very glad to know that you returned; it is wonderful to know that you appreciate the generous room sizes at our hotel as well as the service levels.
We do try to provide a different kind of luxury experiences to our guests and its great to hear that you enjoyed what we do.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

perfect stay. amazing service. We couldn't ask for more. it was beyond our expectations. it was absolute relaxation. Also interior is very detailed for "at home" feel. Service was amazing. it was first time for us to be in Hong Kong but with their guidance, we could easily get our head around.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your stay on tripadvisor.com

We appreciate all your kind words and are glad to know that you enjoyed the service at the hotel.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

My group stayed in Upper House for three nights and the accommodation, food and service were outstanding. The rooms, restaurant and bar all have splendid views of The Peak or the harbour and Kowloon side. Many in the group said it was the best hotel room they had ever stayed in. Thank you to Marcel, Benjamin, Mervyn, Kaman and the team for making our stay in Hong Kong so memorable.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2014

Dear Mr Annan

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your detailed feedback about your second stay on tripadvisor.com

We are thrilled to know that the group and you had a pleasant stay – sorry about the awful Hong Kong weather during your stay on which we had little control sadly…..

Reviewed March 15, 2014

Almost perfection..... what a great place this is! The rooms have surprises in every corner. The espresso machine, the amenities, the jar with M&Ms and biscuits, the shoe trees (never seen a hotel which offers these for use by guests!). Rooms are well sized, and the bathroom is a real pleasure. But for that price this is all expected (except for the shoe trees....)

It is the small things that make the difference. Getting out of a cab without cash on hand, and the reception will front you the money (how often does that happen nowadays?). The delicious scent went passing the lobby heading up to your room. The genuinely friendly staff. The yoga mat in the room. They really get it right in the UPH! Well done.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank TheSunnies

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your detailed feedback about your stay on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay – not only because of the physical aspects of the hotel but also the service.
I understand you like our “Upper House fragrance”. Do let me know via email at marcelthoma@swirehotels.com on where to ship some additional samples to your home.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again. Do let me know if I may personally assist with any future reservations either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Went to the bar/restaurant last evening for a night cap.
A great place to take our visitors who were able to see Hong Kong Hotels at their very best.
Unable to get a seat in main restaurant but were able to sit in" library "next door where we enjoyed a few late drinks in superb surroundings. Drinks are reasonably priced for a top HK hotel, however the young lady who served us needs to improve her manner. It felt like she was doing us a favour to allow her to serve us. She was dour to say the least and spoilt a fine evening.

I would ask that Hotel Management do more to improve staff courtesy.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank ianseabourne

Thank you for your brief review about your visit to Café Gray Deluxe.
We appreciate that you took the out of town visitors to our hotel and that you call our hotel "iconic".

I am disappointed to learn of your comments about the service in our skylounge.
Do let me know via marcelthoma@swirehotels.com on where to contact you as I would like to receive more detailed feedback.

I am very much looking forward to hearing from you again.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Seamless quality throughout from being picked up at airport to return and everything in between.
Great personnel.
And I will find fault with reviewer who claimed no reception was a problem.
No, not at all, we went straight to room and charming young man (Edwin) did everything ! Marvellous: surely more points not less.

Room is divine: calm, not over the top chintzy.
It's luxury for grown ups.

The bar is a must. Fantastic food. Great drinks and wonderful service (maybe some perimeter seats a bit low for older people).

Had a minor medical emergency. Personnel responded very promptly. Eternal gratitude.

Breakfast for Europeans is fine. But Chinese breakfast was magnificent. Service good-ish (Mary delightful). Kept forgetting sweetener.
Went for stroll to check out rest of restaurant. Met chef de cuisine (Joey) who showed me round, which I loved. What a really nice guy. Passionate about cooking (but nicely so). Has one of the best restaurants in Hong Kong (but I wanted to try Cantonese during my short stay).

So what did'nt quite work. Well nothing really except poor replacement of all things you need to eat and drink with in room. Had to ask more than once. But that is all and it seems that kicked off a full investigation ! It's a small thing, really.

So this rates as one of the best hotels in the world. No other for me. Loved the intimacy.

Go, stay, you deserve it.

Room Tip: They are all good rooms but ask for bay side. Corner suite is wonderful.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hohum

We are happy to read that you describe us as “luxury for grown ups”. No one else did actually before but we believe that we offer a different product than other more traditional luxury hotels in town.

Edwin and Joey are doing indeed a fabulous job; rest assured I will share this review with him and the rest of the team.