“2 days in a suite”

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Paris, France
“2 days in a suite”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

This hotel is special, nicely decorated, modern, and calm.
I love the business center with the fireplace and the view on HK.
In a bustling place like Hong Kong, you want some place to rest.
The only thing I regret is the lighting in the room. It's simply too dark.
Room service is not fast enough, had to call multiple times to get serviced.
This is why I am giving a Very Good, not Excellent score.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 13, 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay on tripadvisor.com

We appreciate your positive comments in regards to the décor and service levels at “our house”.

I am very much interested to learn more about your comments in regards to the lighting in the rooms and your room service orders. You may reach me on marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Hong Kong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Stayed for 3 nights in January in a harbor Studio. Tranquil understated lobby with young friendly check in staff. The room is well appointed with clean modern lines and excellent views. The bathroom and dressing areas are stunning -most spacious bathroom we have seen in a hotel room and IMMACULATE. Although selection of free snacks and stocked fridge were not overwhelmingly varied, it was a nice touch. Ate at the Grey Duck for dinner-excellent food and spectacular views of Hong Kong Island. There is also a beautiful spacious lounge on the top floor of the hotel with fire places where you can have drinks or desserts or entertain guests. We had the whole room to ourselves. There was nothing to fault about our experience there-except that it was too short. Very conveniently located to public transportation and central Hong Kong Island walkable. Hong Kong Park is a few minutes walk away. Bravo to all who work at this beautiful boutique hotel. Highly recommend to all travelers. One tip-taxi drivers did not know the hotel Tell them to go to the JW Mariott which occupies the lower floors of the same building.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Calvin S
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, March 2, 2014
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive feedback about your recent stat at “our house” on tripadvisor.com

We are pleased to know that you feel your stay was too short and that you describe your overall stay as “perfect”. I have shared your review with the teams throughout the hotels as well.

Do stay in touch and let me know if I may assist with any future reservations at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Subtle yet incredible personal service. The employees were extremely attentive and it was an absolute joy for my wife and I to be in this hotel. This was our second stay in this hotel and I cannot imagine going anywhere else. Great people, great location, incredible rooms, and easy access to all modes of transportation.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Marc C
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Marc

Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent second stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We appreciate your loyalty and all your kind words about the service and various team members at "our house".

Please do let me know personally in case I may assist you with any of your future bookings at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2014

This is the embodiment of perfection in a hotel, whether for business or leisure. Excellent central position, superb views at all levels and absolute comfort in every respect, from beds to sitting areas and shower/bathrooms in the sumptuous rooms. As another reviewer has put it, "perfectly judged", discrete service that appears from nowhere when you need it but is never intrusive or contrived. Achingly cool and relaxed in design. Superb restaurant (probably the best in HK) and a buzzy bar. Utmost efficiency checking in or out. Everything is state-of-the-art technology enabled and it shows in the results.
The stated aim is that it should "feel like home" - and they achieve this easily. An example is the many deft touches, differentiaiting this from others - free mini-bar (except for the beautiful selection of chilled wine in your room) od "maxi-bar" as they like to call it, free biscuits, choclates, your own espresso machine...and on it goes.
I have been privileged enough, through business travel and otherwise, to stay in some very fine hotels in many different places - US, Europe etc. The only one that comes anywhere close to this level, in my humble opinion, is The Opposite House in Beijing - which, not surprisingly, is The Upper House's sister!
The only thing it lacks is its own pool - although there is a free reciprocal arrangement with a hotel immediately opposite it.

Room Tip: The Studio 80 rooms are superb. If you can get a harbour view, so much the better
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank Adrian B
Dear Adrian

Many thanks for taking the time to share your feedback about your stay with the tripadvisor.com community.

Thank you for calling us "perfect" as well as all the compliments about the service delivery. We are pleased to hear that you felt at "home" and appreciated the product, design and services rendered to you.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.

Aichi Prefecture, Japan
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I have two nights here this time .
I've booked a Studio70 Harbor , but upgraded to Studio80.
The 47th floor because I had been a request high floor .
View and impression of the room is the same as when we stayed last time.

That it was worrisome . It is very trivial .
I ordered pick me up to Hotel ICON, but it came in a different type of vehicle a reservation.
By the way , it was a car model car to the airport on the day of departure also different .
In addition, since there was no confirmation of car in relation to departure date, I became a little anxious.

Cleaning of the room is sloppy . Bed topper of feathers but have shifted considerably in the direction of the feet , it does not fix .
I feel that,The hotel staff does not cooperate with the room keeping staff well.
Are you outsource to be seen, but is better to care a little more
I think the impression will be better more.

But the service of the staff was more splendid.
To corresponds very friendly of Ms.Kate who was greeted with a smile
at the time of check-in, I was very relieved.
She seemed to remember that I liked shopping,
It was written in the letter sent to the room later from her that I enjoyed shopping in Japanese.
It was a very splendid stay for me.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank ChyhyA
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House with the tripadvisor.com community.

We appreciate your kind words in regards to the service you experienced during you stay. Kate is indeed an extraordinary lady and we are very privileged to have her work in our team.

Please do let me know via marcelthoma@swirehotels.com on how to best reach you to discuss your feedback in regards to the housekeeping service.

I look very much forward to hearing from you soon again.

Sydney
Reviewed February 11, 2014

we stayed at this hotel for 6 nights and nothing was too much trouble for the smiling and efficient staff at guest relations, in the restaurant , at the bar and servicing the rooms. The upper suites have fantastic bathrooms with very good Ren products,inbuilt tv and an excellent shower and bath.The maxi bar is well stocked with free beer and snacks and there is a good coffee machine as well as excellent crockery, glasses and cutlery. Little things like recorking the unfinished champagne,lovely candles and room scents and lists of suggested art galleries and restaurants were provided. The food in Cafe Grey was outstanding and the view at nightime from there and the bar fabulous. The hotel limousine also was excellent and punctual even being there when our plane arrived early at 4.30am ! There is nothing to disappoint and everything to recommend about this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for your complements about the team and the service they deliver. Rest assured I have shared all your comments with the team. We are indeed very privileged to work with such dedicated hospitality professionals.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again and do contact me personally in case I may assist with any future reservations at "our house" or any other Swire Hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 9, 2014

This is easy – my first Five Star review. The Upper House is a world-class hotel. Great central location, startling views, fabulous design and careful, perfectly judged service. Impressive and comfortable for a business trip, or luxurious for a short stay in the city. We were a family arriving for a three night stay in Hong Kong, ahead of an adventurous holiday in South East Asia.
You arrive in the lobby; perhaps jaded after a long-haul flight, now don’t be put off. It is not a special reception area, quite Spartan and anonymous, all a bit underwhelming. But the process takes only long enough to confirm you have a reservation and then guide you to your room. The rest of check-in is carried out on an iPad as the charming reception staff guides you around the facilities. It is a hint of the fresh-thinking, 21st Century approach to the whole mechanics of a hotel stay.
We chose a Studio 70, Island View room, with wrap-around windows, giving a glimpse of the busy harbour as well as views up the wooded slopes behind. Light, bright and spacious. You feel you are pat of the fabric of the city. The main rooms are comfortably stylish, and extremely well equipped. A sliding door then reveals luxurious dressing and bathroom spaces, perfect for unwinding after a tiring day trekking the city or before a business engagement.
Breakfast is generous and with choices to please any taste, with the restaurant spaces having spectacular views. We found the evening menu in the main restaurant a little rich and the prices similarly so and chose instead to eat in the bar. Hong Kong locals and Ex-Pats come here for cocktails and to impress visitors – so you can be sure you are in one of the hottest Hong Kong locations. People watching is great sport here. The bar staff were very happy to look after out little family when we asked to mix and match menus or even order off piste. You can enjoy dressing up or relax to smart casual. It all works.
If there is any nit-picking at all, it is about that the lobby. It could just with a bit more of a ‘wow’ factor, to better introduce such a special hotel. But the team here have a clear vision of what they want their hotel to offer and they do it brilliantly.

Room Tip: Chose a Studio Room, with great space space and great views.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to share you feedback about your stay on tripadvisor.com. I love the title of your review and great that you joined the trip advisor.com community with a "five star review".

We are happy to know that you had a good stay and enjoyed all "our house" and Hong Kong had to offer.

If I may comment on your notes about the lobby. Andre Fu, the designer of the hotel, did indeed want to create an intimate atmosphere to our guests with the idea of the "upward journey" in his mind. As such we do think we create a bit of a different product to the rest of the larger Hong Kong five star hotels.

We hope to be able to welcome you back soon again.Do contact me personally in case I may assist with any future reservations at "our house" or any other Swire Hotels