“Perfection defined” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
Ancaster, Canada
“Perfection defined”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2013

I've stayed in Hong Kong many times, at many hotels, but the Upper House is, without a doubt, the gold standard. Large, well appointed rooms with fabulous views of HK harbour, amazing beds, the nicest hotel bathrooms in the world, excellent dining and a convenient location with access to HKs Metro within steps of the hotel. The check in process is flawless, the staff superb. Whether its business or a romantic getaway, this is an experience not to be missed. There are few hotels that can match up with The Upper House.

It was such a relief after a busy day at Mong Kok or the Jade Market to come back to a large, peaceful room where we could both relax. The separate tub / shower allowed us both to distress and unwind.

Room Tip: The standard rooms are awesome but if you really want to impress book one of the suites.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Wes H
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, December 29, 2013
Many thanks for your positive review and your very detailed account of your recent stay at "our house".
I am delighted to read that you would describe your stay as "perfect" and that both our facilities and service appealed to you.

I would love to be able to meet you personally during your next visit.

Do stay in touch and let me know if I may assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotel.

The Upper House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2013

I stay at UPPER HOUSE with my family. The room is big enough to stay 4 family. Bed is extremly soft and very good for deep sleep. Gown and Slipper is so clean and high-quality. Closet is big enough to hang on 4 people's clothes.
It's really like a house. My kids called this hotel as 'HONG KONG HOUSE'.

Great view, Very Clean, and useful MAXI-BAR(Free drinks & snacks). It's delightful days to stay there.The location is great. MTR Admiralty is just in 3 minutes and PACIFIC PLACE is just 1 minute. Even it's very good fot Early-check in at HONG KONG Station(AEL).

The food of CAFE GREY(49 Floors) is wonderful. The breakfast is a style of A-LA-CARTE. We dont need to go around for choosing food like any other hotel. Just sit with a nice view and have a selected menu. Especially coffee is so tasty! Every menus is good!

Even you should try 24 hours gym with the i-pod in your room. You can hear the selected music of UPPER HOUSE and excercise. You can try healty snak and fruits in the gym.

I love this hotel is NON SMOKING. Very fresh & clean air in the room. Especially if you stay with kids, you will be satisfied with the atmosphere.

Amenity of UPPER HOUSE is just the Art of Travel. Theire servie is so delicate. You don`t need to carry on any cosmetic and bath products. Even they provide an ECO-Friendly Canvas bag and Folding travel bag(Big enought!) for shopper. I love Bath Oli and Salt so much! I love to have a hot bath with REN Oil at night while watching TV or Listening to Music of I-POD.

Upper House makes me love HONG KONG.
Staying at HOUSE is just good memory.

Room Tip: Make good use of Great Amenity of Upper House! You shold try all facility of this Hotel. GYM, Rest...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank december201315
Many thanks for your very detailed review about your recent stay with us.
Your detailed account of various aspects of your stay is surely very helpful to any future traveller to Hong Kong.

I am particularly delighted to know that your children liked "our house" and that you all had a great family holiday.

Do let me know when you visit Hong Kong again as I do hope to meet you personally during your next visit.

Hout Bay, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

The Upper House simply ticks every box and more . The check in staff where warm and welcoming and efficient . The lounge area had a lovely fire burning and had stunning views over looking Hong Kong . The rooms are sublime , large spacious with beautiful sleek design . On return in the evening we found personalized gifts waiting for us in the room . Service beyond question . Let me stop raving about this hotel , spend the money and experience heaven in Hong Hong . Well done The Upper House ! The hotel is also within easy walking distance of Hong Park and Victoria Peak Tram is also close by . 10 to 15 minutes walk . There are two malls close by Pacific Place and United Mall where you can buy everything from Armani to food . In the evening it's worth walking down to the shoreline to take pics of the lights of Hong Kong . MTR is also nice and close and easy walking distance and the hotel is very easy to get to using the MTR from the airport .

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JohnFinchPhotography
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, December 22, 2013
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your positive views about your recent stay with us.

We very much appreciate that you describe “our house” as “simply the best”.
It is rewarding to hear that you not only appreciate the physical aspect of our hotel but also the service we provide.

I would love to meet you personally during your next stay. Do keep in touch and let me know if I may assist with anything in the future again.

Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

We have stayed at The Upper House many times since it opened in 2009, as we visit Hong Kong often to spend time with our grandchildren and we always have a superb experience. The rooms are huge, and the service is excellent. Our stay this time was long, an initial two weeks, a week out of HK and back for a few days. There were some small issues with service and responsiveness from staff in the first two weeks, so we discussed it with the manager and when we came back for our last few days we were upgraded to a suite and treated like royalty. Cafe Grey is wonderful for breakfast, happily accommodating the seven of us including three small children for weekend breakfasts and it's an amazing place for a drink late at night. We will continue to stay there on our trips to Hong Kong.

Room Tip: the best rooms have a harbour view (and a higher price)
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Atida

We very much appreciate your repeated loyalty; thanks for all your support since our opening in 2009! Thank you also for your kind words about our service which I have shared with my colleagues.

Do stay in touch and we look forward to welcome you back in 2014 again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2013

We find the staff very attentive to our needs (especially we are travelling with our 4 years old the first time), for example having ample drinking water, towels and snacks in the room. I am particularly impressed that when I asked for a special type of Chinese tea, the staff took the trouble to source for it and within the same day I have it in my room. The Cafe Gray's carries a good breakfast menu. In our stay we manage to try at least 70 per cent of the items. My family was impressed with the quality of the dishes and the services of the staff. The items are cooked when ordered and that ensures freshness. On the last day of our stay, due to peak hours we were unable to get a taxi, the duty manager took the initiative to offer us the use of the hotel transport (without any cost to us) to get us to the train station.

Room Tip: The room we stayed had a very nice view of the middle and upper levels. The bath room (with the bath...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

We appreciate the fact that you describe various interactions with our team and highlight various attentions to details in the service delivery.

Do let me know personally if I may assist with any future reservations. We would love to welcome you back soon again.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

we booked a package where the hotel arranges a limo to pick us up from the airport. everything ran smoothly. our guide was there when we touched down and we were taken straight to the hotel. the car was luxurious. check in was really smoooth at the hotel. the room is huge, by HK standards. the upkeep of this place is really good, the rooms look new. even the room corridors are so well decked up. i was even greeted by a huge bunch of amazing flowers (but i think that was courtesy of someone else, not the hotel). the toilet is amazing, both in terms of spaciousness and design. there is a walk in closet. also, i am now hooked onto REN products. hardware wise - one of the best hotels, i have ever stayed in. cant imagine wanting to stay anywhere else when i am in HK. as for the staff service, its average. not rude but not that professional as well. you ask them questions about their services and they arent that familiar. breakfast was up in the coffee house. wish their seating layout / assignment could been better. my 2nd morning there, i was seated next to these bunch of business people and they were talking at the top of their voices. had to walk out after a really hasty breakfast.
definitely get a room facing the hills. i know that harbour view is always popular, but its quite amazing waking up to this much green, esp in HK.
can see myself coming back here again. only cause i love the rooms so much.

Room Tip: get a room facing the hills.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

We appreciate the fact that you describe “our house” as a “quietly elegant oasis”

I would be interested to learn more about your breakfast experience in Café Gray Deluxe.

Do let me know via marcelthoma@swirehotels.com how I can be in touch with you.

Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

I found myself on a quick trip to Hong Kong for some quite time and to visit a dear friend. It was recommended I should stay at The Upper House for its eco-friendly and art-inspired hotel.

The Upper House is a prestigious member of the Swire Hotels group that manages unique luxurious urban hotels in Hong Kong, China and in the UK, and providing character in every room and dining experience for the discerning traveller who seeks style and personalised service.

As I got out of the car, “guest experience manager” Vinchi Chau greeted me in a well-harmonious lobby space, where the vision of simplicity was created using soft wood furnishings and smooth sculptures. Not what you would expect from any other busy hotel lobby, but a discreet entrance to “discover the upward journey” of my stay.

Vinchi explains the seamless approach of the hotel – not just its services the hotel has to offer but how the design was inspired by Hong Kong-based architect Andre Fu. Andre’s ethos of creating true living space with simple but beautiful detailing is compelling. You will see how the interiors are visually balanced and calm.

The hotel has three categories of rooms: standard, upper suite and penthouse. 117 rooms, 21 suites and two penthouses, with views of the scenic harbour or the serenity of the islands’ mountains.

Upon entering my room, I could not help but gaze out of the floor-to-ceiling corner windows; views of the harbour were breathtaking. Features extended complimentary in-room bar (or mini-bar to us locals), complimentary espresso machine, selection of teas, interactive hotel info via the iPod touch and complimentary WiFi.

But wait, there was more through the sliding door… at first I thought what a spacious room, with a L-shape lounge by the window, to reflect on the serenity of the hotel while sipping champagne to the outside world. It was the epic centre of all bathrooms and spacious dressing room area. Limestone finishes, enticing Italian freestanding marble spa bath, a spacious rain shower around the corner and double floating vanity.

Like the rest of the hotel, sense of “poetic discovery” was portrayed in all the furniture, lighting and the 350 pieces of art that were custom-made for The Upper House. From the pond below to the skylight above, wavy metallic lines on the walls were to emulate the rippling effects of water.

On level 49, a sky bridge crosses the atrium to one of the finest culinary experiences in Hong Kong – Cafe Gray Deluxe. With an open kitchen along one end and a bar along the other, this cosy restaurant also has a semi-private area and large round tables for groups, each with a dazzling view over Victoria Harbour.

It was a Saturday morning and a healthy breakfast was on the cards, but not too soon when another member of the guest experience team, Sashi Mahbubani, welcomed me to the restaurant and hotel. Sashi was a down-to-earth assistant who took care of my every inquiry. From ensuring my yoga sessions on the lawn were booked, arranging dinner at the restaurant with my friends, to providing self-guided tours and hot-spots in and around Hong Kong.

Dinner by chef de cuisine, Joseph Sergentakis, a Brooklyn-born chef with a passion for delicious and aromatic European classic cuisine. My guests and I had a drink in the bar before we sat down to a delicious meal that uses local organic produce. Seasonal oysters, lobster claw and shrimp to start, followed by a succulent tea-smoked organic chicken with mandarin orange and star anise glaze. Dessert of passionfruit omelette soufflé is the perfect prelude to a nightcap at the bar.

The Lawn, on level six, is the outdoor secret garden – to which I fell in love with. I did not get to experience this urban retreat with barista coffee in the morning to the late evening cocktails and lanterns, as shown on the brochure. Although I did meet Carrie Ni, yoga instructor on Saturday and Sunday mornings, “om shanti om”.

My favourite part of visiting the hotel for the first time is exploring the rooms and all its secrets. Whatever I needed was within reach or a phone call away. Who would have thought that I would find a ‘‘home away from home’’ from such a busy city.

It was a great short weekend stay.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank rruiz79
We very much appreciate the details and the time you spent writing your review.
Your description of “the upward journey” is indeed very well done and surely of help to future travellers to Hong Kong in search of the right hotel to stay.

Rest assured I have shared your positive notes about our service from the team in general and Vinchi and Sashi in particular. We are very privileged indeed to work with such dedicated professionals.

Do stay in touch and let me know personally if I may assist with any future reservations. We would love to welcome you back soon again.