We booked a week in Hong Kong to get away from the southern winter. I had never heard of the Upper House and found it on tripadviser. Based on its rating, we booked a harbour view suite and the service started before we had even left. We received an email asking if we had any requests and within minutes had a car booked from the airport and had an extensive list of restaurants in Hong Kong.
The architecture of the hotel is simply stunning. There are artworks throughout the building, including the rooms and it is clear that no expense was spared in the design and build. The rooms are huge and really well designed. They are full of really innovative ideas that you won't find in standard 5 star hotels. I thought the in room iPods were a bit of a fad but room service could be ordered via them and it was really easy to check the bill or get any hotel information. I left wondering why more hotels don't do this.
The bathroom in the room is huge with a great view. We have just renovated our bathroom at home and I got a bit worried when my wife starting talking about putting the same style in at home!
Breakfast in Cafe Gray was great. The service was prompt and efficient and it was just a nice way to start the day. We had dinner there one night and the food was simply superb. I am still impressed with the wine list that ran to 15 pages. Best of all the staff all seemed to know the menu and the wines and the four courses had were sublime.
We had a drink in the bar after a hard day hitting the shops and it was great to wind down, look at the view and enjoy a cold bevie.
The best part of the Upper House is the staff. They have that fine balance between outstanding service without being obtrusive. Examples include hand written notes that arrive, hoping we had a great day, the rooms being serviced apparently by ghosts and little extras like finding charging cords wrapped like new when we arrived home.
I can't speak highly enough about the people behind the Upper House and can only recommend you try them, you will not be disappointed. My biggest problem now is trying to find an excuse to return to Hong Kong so I can go back to this superb hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Upper House is a highly individualized small luxury hotel designed by Hong Kong architect Andre Fu. The hotel’s 117 rooms (including 21 suites and 2 penthouses) start at 730sq ft – the largest in Hong Kong. They feature wonderfully spacious bathrooms and dressing areas, and offer either scenic harbour or island views. Calming and contemporary, the rooms are designed to provide a sense of relaxation, warmth and understated luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Preferred Hotels, Agoda, Priceline, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Upper House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upper House Hotel Hong Kong
- The Upper House Hong Kong