“The Upper House set the standard others must follow.”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Canberra, Australia
“The Upper House set the standard others must follow.”
Reviewed August 26, 2013

We booked a week in Hong Kong to get away from the southern winter. I had never heard of the Upper House and found it on tripadviser. Based on its rating, we booked a harbour view suite and the service started before we had even left. We received an email asking if we had any requests and within minutes had a car booked from the airport and had an extensive list of restaurants in Hong Kong.

The architecture of the hotel is simply stunning. There are artworks throughout the building, including the rooms and it is clear that no expense was spared in the design and build. The rooms are huge and really well designed. They are full of really innovative ideas that you won't find in standard 5 star hotels. I thought the in room iPods were a bit of a fad but room service could be ordered via them and it was really easy to check the bill or get any hotel information. I left wondering why more hotels don't do this.

The bathroom in the room is huge with a great view. We have just renovated our bathroom at home and I got a bit worried when my wife starting talking about putting the same style in at home!

Breakfast in Cafe Gray was great. The service was prompt and efficient and it was just a nice way to start the day. We had dinner there one night and the food was simply superb. I am still impressed with the wine list that ran to 15 pages. Best of all the staff all seemed to know the menu and the wines and the four courses had were sublime.

We had a drink in the bar after a hard day hitting the shops and it was great to wind down, look at the view and enjoy a cold bevie.

The best part of the Upper House is the staff. They have that fine balance between outstanding service without being obtrusive. Examples include hand written notes that arrive, hoping we had a great day, the rooms being serviced apparently by ghosts and little extras like finding charging cords wrapped like new when we arrived home.

I can't speak highly enough about the people behind the Upper House and can only recommend you try them, you will not be disappointed. My biggest problem now is trying to find an excuse to return to Hong Kong so I can go back to this superb hotel.

Room Tip: Can't go past a harbour view room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Oztraveller64
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Many thanks for your detailed feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House. We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are pleased to know that you found us based upon our ratings on various social media platforms and are glad to know that you appreciated our service levels. Thanks for highlighting the various hardware aspects of our hotel. We are however most honored to receive your positive notes about our team members. We are indeed very lucky to work with such a dedicated team; rest assured all your comments were shared with them.

Do find an excuse soon again to travel to Asia’s world city and we hope to welcome you soon again.

The Upper House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I had another amazing stay at the Upper House for 4 days. The staff was more than helpful. They even helped me locate a Vietnamese restaurant I went to 5 years ago. Greeting us by name everyday made it even more special. Staying in Hong Kong means staying at the Upper House.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Karina S
Dear Karina

Many thanks for your feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House. We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with the tripadvisor.com community.

Please allow me also to thank you for your continue loyalty – the choice of lovely hotels in Hong Kong is indeed vast.

I love your saying “staying in Hong Kong means staying at The Upper House”

Do not hesitate to contact me personally if I may ever assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Safe travels and we hope to welcome you back soon again.

USA and Australia
Reviewed August 24, 2013

The Upper House team have it together and their unobtrusive exceptional personal service trumps that of every other hotel we have ever stayed in. I cannot rate them higher than that! Paul, Kate, Zee, Khristina Etc, You are all amazing!

I first stayed at the Upper House for my first trip to Hong Kong soon after it had opened in 2009 and loved my time there and everything about Upper House then. In the years since, when passing thru Hong Kong, for various reasons I found myself at the Mandarin properties instead of Upper House, However after my wonderful recent return visit, this time 2 of us, There is no way we would even consider staying at another hotel in Hong Kong.. The Upper House has our total loyalty from now on.

What is so great about the Upper House?

Its on top of the JW Marriott so all rooms start at 39th floor and have amazing views.
They send you xmas and birthday wishes after you have been a guest! You feel very valued.
They find out exactly what you are in town for and what they can do to help. Then within an hour or so of check in they appear at your door with every possible detail or information as requested printed out and ready for use. I don't just mean basic stuff, be careful what you mention as very soon you will know every minute possible detail about the tourist site/restaurant etc you mentioned!
If you are lucky they leave you little gifts. I don't know if that is just for long staying or repeat guests, but either way its a fabulous unique appreciated gesture and another way this great hotel stands out from the crowd.
The suites (and rooms ) are big and fabulous. Our suite was bigger than most homes in Hong kong and offered amazing uninterrupted views over Hong Kong Harbor and city. It was a quiet calm oasis in a very hot sticky July visit.
The bathrooms are huge by any hotel standard and the stone decor fabulous.
The clean non toxic REN bath products get a huge tick from us. Most people mightn't even appreciate why Upper House provides these great products, but in this day and age when sadly most hotel bath products are full of potential carcinogens and endocrine disrupters. Top marks goes to Upper House for thinking of their guests health and longevity! (Yes we are doctors!)
Great in room coffee maker, kettle, tea and milk in fridge!
Maxi Bar, -Free selection of snack foods and drinks -Great.. And Free fast speed internet. When you pay top dollar for a hotel it seems crazy to charge extra for snacks..and internet.. Again top marks Upper House.
Everything is 'high tech' from ordering room service on an i touch, to closing curtains electronically.
We thoroughly enjoyed the breakfasts at Cafe Grey and The views were fantastic! The one evening meal we ate there was very memorable and the wine list covers a good variety of great wines.
The staff.. The staff ..The staff. Did I mention The Staff..

So Upper House doesn't have a Pool or Spa or in room DVD players, but unless thats what you specifically require in Hong Kong it doesn't matter.. What they do offer is a totally unique personalized service that is extremely difficult to find in 5star hotels now days, and I'm sure if you require a spa or a pool or a DVD player they would know how to get you one!!

We love the Upper House and wouldn't think of going anywhere else when we are in Hong Kong. We thoroughly recommend it to all wanting the best hotel experience Hong Kong has to offer.. "can't wait to return. Thank you team Upper House! K n B.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Luvin-Life+Travel
Many thanks for your very detailed feedback about your recent stay at The Upper House. We appreciate that you took the time to share your thoughts with the tripadvisor.com community.

We are much honored to receive such positive feedback from our guests and we are proud to be rated consistently high on tripadvisor.com and other social media and travel industry platforms.

It is indeed our team members such as Paul, Kate, Zee and Kristina who really impact the guest experience. Rest assured that I have shared all your feedback with them.

As you mentioned it is the staff, the staff and the staff…..With limited facilities, we do offer alternative solutions for any special requests such as spa or pool in nearby Pacific Place Hotels.

Please allow me to thank you once again for your continued loyalty.
Do not hesitate contact any of my above mentioned colleagues or myself if we may ever assist with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels.

Safe travels and we hope to welcome you back soon again.

Nicosia, Cyprus
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

What ozoneat ritz carlton. Ok it is very nice but the clouds dont allow to enjoy it.in the contrary aqua spirit is something magic.try both but have a drink in aqua spirit.also go to cafe gray at four season and intercontinental bar

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Christos1965
Many thanks for your note on tripadvisor.com

We hope to welcome you soon again at Café Gray Deluxe. Do let me know if I may assist with anything in the future.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

This hotel was recommended by a biz partner, hence I decided to give it a try.Stayed for 5 nights (9-14 Aug 2013) and I had to say I'm not impress by the hotel at all. The lobby is small hence when there are more than 4 hotel staffs standing around the small lobby, the place feel crowded. To take the lifts to the suites, you have to 1st take the long elevator up to another level where the lifts are located. Checked in was ok.

Location is at Pacific Place @ Admiralty Station. Though it is near to the train station, but have to walk out and cross the street to get to the lift to the mall to get to the station. Unlike Conrad Hotel, the hotel is connected to the mall hence the hotel guests can just walk inside the mall to get to the station. Although it was a short walk, but when it was raining it was not convenient to walk. Getting a taxi was also not convenient as the hotel is kinda tug in a corner and hidden from view.

The room was spacious and big, but nothing to shout about because it was a suite. My room was facing office buildings, hence i need to have my blinds drawn most of the time to prevent people in the office buildings from looking in.

Toiletries are basic.The lights in the bathroom were not bright enough. The a/c temperature is permanent;y at 21 degree Celcius no matter how many times I tried to adjust it to lower. Ordered room service - Wanton Soup Noodles, but food quality so-so only.

It was my birthday so the hotel gave me a complimentary cake. They left it in my room uncovered. I saw the cake when I got back to my room, but I didn't eat it as I wasn't sure when was the cake left there and because it was not covered up. It was left on my table exposed to the environment. I appreciate their gesture, but I was disappointed with their lack of details. They should had just cover up the cake and not left it exposed.

I didn't feel at home staying at Upper House. Probably won't stay again at this hotel. I think Conrad is still much better than Upper House.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Silkysultry
Many thanks for having taken the time to share your thoughts about your recent stay with us with the tripadvisor.com community.

I appreciate also that you gave me the chance to discuss your comments with you via telephone.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back soon again. Don’t hesitate to contact me personally if I may assist with anything in the future.

Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed August 17, 2013

my wife and i wanted to spoil ourselves and asked our daughter who lives in hk to do some reasearch for us in hk she came back with the upper house we then did our own back here in adelaide and we came to the same conclusion . so we booked 9 july -22 july. well what a great experience we both had right from the time we got picked up at the airport, to when they took us back .to the airport on our last day .our excitement was to see our daughter and her boy freind and where they live ,but coming back to this hotel every night was simply like coming home .the staff here are so good you would think they are family.from our arrival we were up graded to harbour room and personally taken to ourroom buy the manager at(1200)pm our daughter had been to take a look at the room and drop some flowers of for her mum which were stunning.first morning up to cafe grey met again buy happy freindly staff and what a great veiw of hk and the habour breakfast to die for and this where we met karen who looked after us everyday what happy lady she is she knew what we liked from that first day the girls and guys down at reception were out standing allways greating us when we left and on our return personally .i donot know if they do this with all there customers but did for us this hotel is in the best location right next to pacific place and the under ground what a great rail system well what else can you say the rooms in this hotel are huge ,modern,and luxury take a shower or bath looking over the hk harbour is to die for, just fantastic .the bed was huge and very comfortable ,haveing drinks and snacks free of charge is bonus .also to edwin lu thankyou for looking after our travel insurance when it had expired when we exteded our stay in hk and aami left us hi and dry. in summary what a great experiance great hotel (home) great staff great room great holiday . the girls at reception would always ask what we were doing that day we would tell them ,and when we would get back that night,they would leave apersonal card saying hoping you had a great day out just another personal touch we have told all our freinds about this hotel and i am sure they will be staying here from michael and jayne in adelaide australia only negative is if staff could have name tags on their uniform so that we could idetifie them

Room Tip: you have to have harbour view room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Michael A
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Many thanks for having taken the time to write such an extensive review on tripadvisor.com.

We are happy to know that your time with your family in Hong Kong was a pleasant one.

To call a hotel team “family” is probably the best compliment we could receive; rest assured that I have shared all your lovely comments with anybody who has been in touch with you during your extended stay at “our house”.

We hope you stay in touch and do let Edwin or myself know if we may assist with any future reservations.

Los Angeles
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The Upper House is the perfect base in Hong Kong and a great place to unwind after work. First, it is simply gorgeous with unparalleled views of Hong Kong Harbor from the excellent restaurant, public areas and, best of all, from your large, beautifully decorated suite. It is ideally located in the center of the Hong Kong Island business district and adjacent to a mall where you can grab a Starbucks or any necessities you forgot to pack. But the people are what makes The Upper House my choice over HK's other luxury hotels. The service is absolutely correct, not overly familiar nor overly formal. Kristina Snaith, one of the managers, and her wonderful staff, went way out of their way for us. They are modest, gracious, and altogether lovely and that is why I will be coming back.

Room Tip: Corner suite.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank squirrelhillave
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Many thanks for having taken the time to write a tripadvisor review.

We are delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay. We are happy to know that you appreciated our décor and the location of the hotel which is very popular not only with hotel guests travelling from abroad but with the local clientele as well.

Rest assured that I have shared your feedback with the team. Your comments regarding our team’s personality and the way we interact with our guests are particularly valuable.

We hope to welcome you back in the future again. Do let Kristina or I know if we may assist with anything.