“Exemplary”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 723 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I just returned from a trip through Asia and my stay at The Upper House was surely a highlight. My suite had the most incredible view of Victoria Harbor and was comfortable and stylish. The staff was top notch. The restaurant was very good and every seat offers an outstanding view. While there is no spa, the hotel arranged for an in room massage which was excellent. If you are looking for a very special experience while in Hong Kong, The Upper House should be your choice!

• Stayed: June 2013
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com and your patronage during your recent visit to Asia.

We are delighted to know that you were satisfied with your stay. Great to know that you liked the in room massage – we work with a knowledgeable team of experienced masseuse – and having the large bathtub in the room makes the whole experience surely like an own private spa.

We hope to welcome you back “home” soon again. Do let me know if I may assist with any future reservation either at “our house” or any other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

All I have to say is, if you are a person who demands the best in all you experience (like me), this place will deliver. I travel 80% of my time for work and my 10 day stay was hands down the best I have ever experienced in the world.
Caters to those who have refined taste and a need to be taken care of when added stress is the last thing you need. Don't even get me started on the REN beauty products...
Just epically chic. Beautiful design. Kind faces everywhere who reference you by name...For me its love.

Room Tip: Absolutely get a room with a view. Great way to wake up and fall asleep.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Dear Demetria

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

We are delighted to know that you consider us “the best place you have ever experienced”.

I like your definition of “love” also in your review – lovely and thanks again for sharing your thoughts with the tripadvisor community.

We hope to welcome you back “home” soon again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Living in Hong Kong, I usually don't feel it necessary to stay in a hotel. However, in some occasions, for example, when my parents or siblings visit Hong Kong, I usually book hotel rooms for them. When my parents came to visit in 2009, I booked a suite for them in Upper House. As soon as we had entered the room, we immediately felt in love with this unique hotel. The staff were so professional in providing the services making us feel like home. I don't feel there is luxury decoration but it is really cozy, relaxing, and clean. I returned to Upper House twice since then and the most recent time was this year for a holiday celebration. We also stayed in the suite for two nights to enjoy our private moments (we got the special offer for Cathay Pacific Marco Polo members).
The bathroom is a truly masterpiece and the highlight of the room. The bath tub allows you to see the city while comfortably soaking yourself in it. The shower area is spacious and you can totally enjoy yourself in the shower.
I enjoyed sitting on the comfy sofa in the living room and listening to the music. They provided a nespresso machine in the pantry but we did not use it. My husband loved very much the variety and the equality of team they provided. He said it was one of the best he had ever had! There were also complimentary snacks in the pantry but we did not get to have them. There were also different kinds of complimentary soft drinks in the fridge for guests to use.
The views from the suite were always amazing. You get to see the harbour and the structure of the building makes the fantastic reflections of the room at the night time.
The breakfast in Cafe Grey is indeed healthy, fresh, and delicious. We like the fruit salad a lot. We had a great time sitting by the window, enjoying the breakfast and the breath-taking view of the Victoria Harbour.
The location of the hotel is superb -- in Admiralty where there are a shopping mall and many restaurants downstairs and the subway station is nearby.
We are not sure if we will return again because it is really an expensive hotel. But, we still highly recommend this one!

Room Tip: Harbour view room is really awesome!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank margarita_red2006
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Many thanks for your detailed feedback on tripadvisor.com

We are very grateful for your continued patronage. Your feedback really reads like a great story – amazing that you stayed with us when we first opened in fall 2009 and still continue your loyalty – Thank you so much!

Please do stay in touch and let me know if I may ever assist you in the future.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

I cannot say enough good things about this hotel. Subtle, understated luxury and service. Beautiful and large rooms, comfortable beds. Fantastic bath and shower. Great location. And nice touches, like complimentary minibar, snacks and a stack of REN goodies replenished every day. plus, by booking in advance we got a free breakfast at the lovely top floor restaurant.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Graceful_Hedonist

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

We are glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us.
Thanks for highlighting all the points you liked while staying with us – it surely is very helpful to the rest of the tripadvisor.com community planning a future trip to Hong Kong.

Please do stay in touch and let me know if I may ever assist you in the future.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

My wife and I, experienced international travellers, stayed at The Upper House during the April Hong Kong Art Fair week. We left at the end of the week concluding that we had not enjoyed a hotel more, ever. Although this superbly designed and well- situated hotel, high in a 49 storey building, has expansive HK views, superb dining at its Café Grey and an ultra cool bar attended by the chic of town, the outstanding reason for our opinion was was the hospitality and superb service provided by a system called "Guest Experience" that combines the usual roles of concierge, housekeeping, reception, and cashier.
I have read the laudatory comments comments of other recent travellers about admirable facilities and aspects that i have not mentioned. I agree with them all.
David Bennett

Room Tip: The harbour view room we had was excellent.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank davidmbennett

Dear Mr Bennett

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

It was a true pleasure to have met you during your stay with us.
Art Basel Hong Kong was indeed an amazing week. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us during that exciting time of year!

I am particularly proud to have been able to share all your comments about “superb service and hospitality provided by Guest Experience” with the team.

We are very much looking forward to welcome you back soon again!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Chose the hotel originally for its location and less stuffy appearance than the Four Seasons and the Ritz Carlton. Lowed the understated elegance and service. Globally the new benchmark hotel for us. Cafe Grey must be one the best bars in town.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dodgeflyer

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

It is lovely to hear that you choose us instead of other choices in town. We are glad to know that you loved the “understated elegance and service”.

Do let me know if I or any other team members you met during your stay may ever assist you with any future reservation at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotel.

Reviewed June 2, 2013 via mobile

High expectations...met!

Previously stayed at and really loved the Mandarin Oriental but wanted to experience the UH.

This is a fantastic hotel. We read previous reviews and I guess we were lucky with timing as we didn't clash with any private events as well as arriving with expectations set appropriately around facilities. In that context everything was wonderful. Loved the maxi bar, the good use of technology and of course the room accommodation itself. This is not old world charm and antique furniture of Paris grand hotels etc but few places could match the view of the Victoria Harbour lightshow. Spectacular.

My only recommendation to management...the breadth of TV/film entertainment options could be better, especially given the quality of local offerings!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Rodger H

Dear Rodger

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.co and I am glad to know that your expectations were met.

Thanks for setting the tone in the comparison to the Mandarin Oriental – a different experience on so many levels and we believe that both of our offerings are complimentary in a city which truly offers one of the best hotel products in the world.

We have decided to go for 40 different channels; we also do provide DVD’s for our guests and can obtain any sort of movies not available on pay TV. Do let me know next time you visit and what other channels you like to see on offer in your room.