“Best hotel in town”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed February 7, 2013

Magnificient view, attentive service, gorgeous food, unbelievable experience at the hotel. The set lunch at cafe grey delux was just too good, great value for money. Highly recommend for anyone and everyone in hong kong. It is just superb! Definitely rank higher than six stars , and the most important of all, no other hotels such as four seasons nor ritz Carlton can make any comparison , long long way for the others to improve.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Many thanks for your feedback on tripadvisor.com

We are much honored to receive such positive comments; rest assured all the highlights in your review were shared with our team.

Your support of The Upper House and Café Gray Deluxe is much appreciated.

Please do let me know if I may personally assist you with any future travels to Hong Kong.

There are newer reviews for The Upper House

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This was my first time in Hong Kong and I could not have been more amazed and impressed with the Upper House. I live in midtown New York City and work in an industry where I’m fortunate to stay regularly at many high-end hotels throughout the years, but I still was completely astonished and delighted. Even before I arrived, I received an email asking about my preferences which immediately made me excited about my stay (fabulous customer service!). As our car came up to the driveway, the hotel looked very sleek, beautiful and elegant. Even the sign/logo for Upper House was cool. From the minute we arrived until the moment we left, we received first-class personalized service and attention, and were thoroughly relaxed, We were greeted very warmly and graciously. Registration was completely seamless (as they anticipated our arrival), and everything was done though an ipod in a drawer in the room. (I loved that we ordered our coffee and gifts through the ipod).
The manager very generously upgraded us to an incredible suite, which two New Yorkers were very excited about since we never have space. When we were shown to our room, we were both blown away. I always thought Hong Kong (like New York) would have small hotel rooms and space would be an issue. This was not the case. The suite was truly enormous (I believe the largest hotel space in the city) and the views from all rooms were beautiful and breathtaking. It takes a lot to impress New Yorkers and we could not have been more astounded. My jaw dropped at the view, the entire huge suite and all the amenities (from bathroom toiletries, sparkling waters, M&Ms and other treats and more).
The décor was absolutely beautiful, understated and sleek- very minimalist but had everything you can think of. The lighting was perfect so you can adjust to your own personal preference. I also loved that everything was hidden (the remote controls were in nice boxes) and everything was so neat, slick and contemporary. I have stayed in many, many hotels and resorts around the world for work and pleasure and this is by far the most beautiful and luxurious suite I have ever stayed in. The decor was absolutely beautiful. I was thrilled to have experienced this.
I wish I had more time there and didn’t want to leave the room. The bathroom was beautiful, with gorgeous views and a wonderful large bathtub (with a TV and stereo) and shower with high-quality and generous amenities (REN), wonderful Moroccan oil for baths, and the towels and bathrobes were the most comfortable and of the best quality.
We headed to have cocktails and appetizers at Café Grey to take advantage of the gorgeous views. The food and drinks, as I expected, were also top-notch.
I never write such long reviews but I can’t say enough great things about this place and the wonderful management by Marcel and Dean. Our flights were at night so we left our suitcases there and ran around the city before we left. We came back to have one last cocktail and take advantage of the beautiful space, and when we went to leave, our luggage was ready for us. I couldn’t believe how attentive, accommodating and welcoming the staff was –especially Michelle and Natasha. Their timing for everything was impeccable and they could not have been better.
We were in Asia for 2 weeks visiting Hong Kong and various parts of Vietnam, and the Upper House was the most memorable and favorite part of our trip. We cannot wait to go back. I have already told my friends and colleagues that they must go there to experience what I experienced (although I will be jealous when they do).
I can’t wait to come back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded February 6, 2013

Dear Nina

Thank you very much for having chosen the Upper House during your recent trip to Asia as well as for having taken the time to write about your experience on tripadvisor.com. Wow, what detailed review! Surely it will be very helpful to any fellow travellers who are deciding to book a trip to Hong Kong.

We are much honored to receive your positive feedback and we have shared your comments with the entire team.

Please don’t stay away for too long and all your support is much appreciated.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

The Upper House was wonderful from the time we stepped out of the car. They were there to great us by name and took great care in taking us to our rooms, showing us around the room and making us feel welcome as if they were inviting us into their Home. It is very serene and calming after a day of business meetings. I looked forward each day to having breakfast overlooking the harbor and watching the boats come and go. The staff throughout the Upper House remembered our names and what we liked to order. They offered us bottled water when we were leaving for our tour. They were always very helpful and answered any questions with a smile on their face. I look forward to a return visit and staying at the Upper House.

Room Tip: I don't think that there is a bad room!
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Dear Emily

We are glad you liked the service at “our house” and it’s wonderful to hear that it was the team members you were impressed by the most.

We hope you are returning soon again. Please do let me know I may assist you with any future bookings at The Upper House or any other Swire Hotels. You may reach me on: marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

Reviewed February 4, 2013

This place is stunning - really sets a new standard in luxury hotels. It is consciously small, intimate, "private home" kind of feel (in contrast to large Asian luxury hotels) and really makes you feel relaxed and welcome from the moment they complete check-in in the comfort of your suite. It also feels much more contemporary (less colonial?) than other hotels. Absolutely LOVED the Illy coffee machine (being the huge coffee fan that I am!), free "maxi-bar", M&Ms, giant bath and rain shower overlooking HK harbour, spectacular views, complementary bubbles upon arrival.... Location is at Pacific Place so very close to those shops and (in January, at least!) comfortably walk-able to everywhere else. Breakfast amazing, everything freshly cooked to order and with the same amazing views where we enjoyed our Cafe Gray dinner. Blissful. Have already recommended to others!!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

We are glad you liked the service at “our house” as well as Café Gray, the hotel’s location and all the complimentary in room amenities.,

Many thanks for recommending us to your friends. If I may assist in the future with any reservations etc for you and your friends, you may reach me on: marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

Reviewed February 3, 2013

My husband and I spent our anniversary here and we had a wonderful time relaxing and being pampered. The hotel asked us before hand our preferences for our stay before the actual booking date.
We were fetched from the airport by their lomousine service. At the hotel, we were taken straight up to our 80 sqm room with a fantastic harbor view. Registration was completed through the ipad in our hotel room. The receptionist also took time to orient us around our bright and spacious room to show us how things worked - espresso machine, bar (beer, juice, milk, water, M and Ms, nuts, Milano biscuits for your consumption), remote controls, closets.
Beautiful bathroom with generous amenities-REN toiletries, bathrobe, lounge robe, cedar shoe trees, canvass shopping bag.
Breakfast was not the usual buffet style. We ordered from the regular menu and the food was delicious. You could choose from Asian, Western, or the Healthy option. We also had a cookies and warm milk with our turndown at night. Snack came with a hand written welcome note and warm wishes.
The hotel had a gym and there were yoga classes held at the lawn, Saturday and Sunday.
Pacific Place mall, MTR, Star street just next door.
Very friendly, warm and attentive staff, beautiful relaxing atmosphere, good food, accessibility to MTR, fantastic location-all these made our stay memorable. We're already planning our next trip back!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you very much for having chosen the Upper House to celebrate your anniversary as well as for having taken the time to write about your experience on tripadvisor.com

We are glad you liked the arrival experience, the non-traditional breakfast set up in Café Gray, the in-room amenities as well as the weekend YOGA class on our lawn.

It is wonderful to hear that you are already planning your next trip back. Please do let me know when you finalized the dates and I shall personally assist with your arrangements. You may reach me on marcelthoma@swirehotels.com

Reviewed January 30, 2013

Think of all the superlatives one could use... and that would be the Upper House. I think it was the espresso machine, and M&M's that did it...or could it have been the glass of bubbles, in the bath taking in the spectacular views!

Heavenly toiletries all replenished daily....

Guest services are just that, service... with a huge smile, and a genuine one at that.
Perfect !
Now, please think of opening in one in Bangkok...

Room Tip: Corner suits/room very spacious.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2013

Thank you very much for your recent visit to “our house” and for having taken the time to write about your experience on tripadvisor.com

Many thanks for using all these superlatives, we are much honored. The one we are particularly happy to hear about is that you like our service.

Swire Hotels has plans to open further hotels in China. The destinations of cities will be announced soon.

Please do let me know when you are back; I would be happy to personally look after you reservation.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Perfect place to stay while in HK, spacious rooms, great service. Guest experience team the best in town. Memorable mornings having breakfast at Cafe Grey overlooking the harbour. Great amenities and maxibar goodies in the room.

• Stayed: January 2013

We appreciate you taking the time to write the recent review about “our house” on tripadvisor.com

Your positive comments have been shared with all and with our Guest Experience team in particular.

I am sorry that I missed the chance to personally meet you. Please do let me know when you return and I would personally like to look after your reservation.

We are looking forward to welcome you back soon again.