“Excellent as always” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 712 Hotels in Hong Kong
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent as always”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

The Upper House is one of those wonderful hotels that you are happy to return to. With the most amazing views of Victoria Harbour, one does not want to leave the room. Staff are all delightful and very helpful. Cafe Gray is fantastic. Coulnd not recommend highly enough !

Room Tip: if you can afford a Suite go for that ! If not an Harbour View is a MUST
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear Sam

Many thanks for your patronage and loyalty of “our house”!

We are delighted to hear that you like to return to The Upper House each time you are in Hong Kong.

Hopefully until soon again and thanks for having taken the time to write a review on tripadvisor.com

Safe travels!

The Upper House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2012

Absolutely fantastic experience. I decided to indulge to make my 30th birthday memorable, and it was even better than expect. The staff were always helpful and friendly and full of great tips for things to do that went beyond tourist tacky. The room was amazing, and the view hypnotic.
There was even a birthday cake to make my day extra special.

Room Tip: The harbour view is amazing, and sitting in the bathtub watching the sun set over Hong Kong is a mag...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor.com

Happy Birthday again! It is fantastic to hear that you chose “our house” to celebrate your special day.

Wonderful to hear that you found the tips our team members provided useful.

We are looking forward to welcome you back hopefully soon again. Please do let me know if I may assist with your travel plans in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2012

Perfect location, perfect staff, would be comparable with some of the best hotels in the world. Access to soft drinks, milk and local beers FOC is unbelievable when you compare the prices for these items in other 5 star properties. The rooms are spacious and the beds are huge, certainly value for money. The only down side which is an observation as opposed to a negative is there is no swimming pol.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank kusadasi2
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor.com

We are happy to hear that you are pleased with your recent stay at “our house”.

Your comparison to the best hotels in the world is very flattering.

Please do let me when you return to Hong Kong. It would be my pleasure to personally look after your reservation.

Safe travels and hopefully we will see you soon again!

P.S. We do offer alternative options to pool arrangements within Pacific Place and our team is happy to arrange that for all our guests.

Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2012

Theyve carved this hotel out of the Marriott (next door): the two hotels are untrelated.however. The Mariotts ok but the Upper House is in a different class. Basically two old Mariott rooms have been joined to make one new Upper House room.and the effect is impressive.

Soft drinks and beers in the mini-bar are all free, and copious supplies of complimentary biscuits/ MnMs/ coffee etc.

Good bar on the top floor.

Service is as good as other 5 star hotels in HK (and thats good).

The style is somewhat understated but very liveable with.

In my view its better than the other hotels in Pacific Place (which is saying something as the Shangri-la is also excellent).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor.com

We are happy to hear that you are pleased with your recent stay at “our house”.

Your rating and mention of us as “the best within Pacific Place” is wonderful to hear.

Safe travels and hopefully we will see you soon again.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

there is nothing more I can add to the 300+ (and counting) glowing reviews of the upper house. they are all true and not in the least exaggerated. they are THAT good. I've summarized the key areas important (to me) in choosing a hotel:
SERVICE: fantastic. other establishments need to take lessons from the upper house on what good customer service is about. we felt doted on and the staff went out of their way to make sure we were taken care ... even anticipating our needs. while they were attentive, we never felt smothered or annoyed. being our first time in HK, it was nice to be given tips on transport, sights, etc.
THE ROOM: omg. huge. we had a Harbour view suite. it was tough leaving the room every day to explore because the room was so nice and comfortable. simple and sleek design with a complimentary maxi bar (wine was the only thing you had to pay for) stocked with snacks and beverages. free wifi in the room was a bonus as most other hotels charged for theirs. oh, and the bathroom. massive. beautiful.
LOCATION: it's located in admiralty which is just one stop away from Central on the MTR. we thought it was a great location. the MTR station is accessible from the Pacific Place mall below the hotel and its easy to use. Walkable to the Peak Tram and gardens. Pacific Place mall is good.
AMENITIES: we didn't need a pool and I'm not sure if they had one. but they had a small gym which was perfect for a quick run on the elliptical every evening. the equipment was of a very high standard.
FOOD: Cafe Gray on the top floor is divine. room service was prompt and tasty too. if we weren't in the mood for that, we walked across to Pacific Place to one of their many restaurants.

overall, I can't fault the Upper House. I think they are perfect in every way. it'll be hard staying in another hotel anywhere else in the world. They have set the standard.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jan K
Dear Jan

Thank you very much for your detailed resume of your past trip to Hong Kong and your stay at “our house”.

We are much honored to hear your endorsement of the past reviews on tripadvisor.com
It is wonderful to hear that you like the way we provide service to our guests as well as our restaurant, food, amenities and location.

I hope you return soon again to Hong Kong and we have the chance to welcome you back to The Upper House again.

Exciting travels and let me know if I may assist with anything in the future.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2012

From the moment you arrive, the service is exceptional. From the in room check in to the staff's knowledge of the area and your interests, to the immaculate everything, it all shows an attention to detail frequently lacking at even the most upscale hotels in the world. The location is perfect. I greatl prefer it to Central or Kowloon. Admiralty is a short walk both to Central and Wanchai and the subways is steps away.

But it's really all about the room. They are huge. You truly feel like a celebrity staying here. And the bathrooms are the living end.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Adam I
Dear Adam

Thank you very much for your note on tripadvisor.com

We are very pleased to hear that you perceive our service to be exceptional.
It is furthermore great to know that you value our location which indeed is a very unique one on Hong Kong island.

Please do let me know when you intend to return to “our house”; it would be a pleasure to personally meet you.

Hong Kong
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

Incredibly chic and luxurious hotel in the center of Hong Kong with huge, stunning rooms. I also thoroughly enjoyed the bar and restaurant on the top floor. However, facilities may be a little lacking - gym is quite small and there is no pool, and lobby/reception area is almost non-existent.

+++:
Room: Oh my goodness! The room was absolutely enormous - especially the bathroom - which is almost unheard of in downtown Hong Kong. We were upgraded to a Studio 80 room, with a partial view of the skyline. The bedroom itself was already staggeringly big, with a large king-sized bed, work desk, and couch. The bathroom had a separate wardrobe/make-up area, separate toilet, two sinks, a walk-in shower and a bathtub. The room was by far the most spacious that I have ever stayed at in Hong Kong.

Room (amenities): My apologies, I just feel the need to mention a few other great things in the room. The mini-bar was awesome - free nuts and chocolates - complete with an Illy coffee machine. The fridge, which was in the form of a wine-cellar, was also very classy, and another first for me! The bathroom amenities, mostly the brand Ren, were amazing, and they provided a little washbag full of useful little things such as lip balm and extra toothpaste.

Service: Check-in was smooth, housekeeping and room service staff were courteous and efficient. No complaints here.

Bar/Restaurant: The food offered at Cafe Gray was exceptional. I have been to many restaurants in Hong Kong, but have to admit that this Upper House establishment has kept me coming back for more. Great modern western fare at fair prices. Of course, in the several times I have been there, they have had some misses, but in general the food has been excellent. The drinks at the lounge here were incredible too, my favorite being the Hong Kong Highball. They also made an excellent vodka martini. However, the Zombie - which the lounge advertises as an incredibly strong mixture of rum - was very underwhelming.

Free wifi =)

---:
Facilities: The hotel seems to cater for those who want a more chic/urban retreat. Don't expect to find a business center (though the lounge on the top floor was helpful with printing/faxing documents). They offered free yoga classes during the weekend at their outdoor terrace, but I avoided it due to air pollution. As I mentioned, the gym tried to make do with what little space it has, but was not very complete. And the lack of a pool was a little disappointing.

Location: The hotel was located in the heart of Hong Kong, part of the giant admiralty / Pacific Place complex. However, there was no way to get from the metro station to the hotel directly. We needed to navigate through another hotel (JW Marriott) or the mall, and head outdoors before being able to get to this hotel. On more than one occasion we had to brave a minute or two of rain before entering our hotel.

Price: While the rooms were amazing, they came with a hefty price! I cannot say it was bad value for money, but it certainly was not a bargain!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jamesjen25
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, October 14, 2012
Dear James

Thank you very much for your very detailed note on tripadvisor.com

You mentioned so many various positive points about your stay with us; many thanks and we are glad to hear that you enjoyed your time at “our house”.

Allow me please to respond to your notes which impressed you less:

1. Reception area: We do actually run a paperless / nontraditional ‘front desk” approach hence our main entrance at L4 is kept to a bare minimum. Since we do escort all our guests directly to their rooms, a big welcome area is deemed non-essential. Our hotel guests are however also invited to enjoy time at our sky lounge on L49 which I do hope provides ample space to lounge and entertain guests.
2. We offer options to access neighboring hotel pools for our guests. In addition to our gym which is equipped with basic essential work out equipment, we offer complimentary YOGA classes on our lawn as well as very personalized fitness programs in the neighboring outdoor fitness facilities as well as access to the large PURE fitness studio in Admiralty. I do apologize should you not have been aware of all options during your stay.
3. Wonderful to hear all your comments about the size and quality of the rooms. I have noted that in your last paragraph that you perceive our rates to be on the high end. Please do let me know when you intend to return. It shall be my pleasure to personally assist you with any reservations and I am happy to compare rates with other hotels in our category. Rest assured we would always quote the best available rates which are comparable to other five star hotels in town.

We appreciate your loyalty towards Swire Hotels and I am very much looking forward to hopefully personally meet you in the future.