“Total Luxury - Understated and Impeccable Service”
Review of The Upper House

Ranked #1 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Haslemere
“Total Luxury - Understated and Impeccable Service”
Reviewed September 17, 2012

This is the second time we stay at The Upper House in Hong Kong and we will be returning. We had a beautiful suite overlooking the harbour. The food in the restaurant was superb as was room service, and the staff who served. Particular mention must be given to the Guest Relations staff who welcome you on arrival and look after you throughout - they are immaculate in appearance, manner, and are incredibly knowledgeable of their city and any recommendation made for sightseeing, shopping etc. was spot on. Particular thanks to Kristina. The Upper House is understated luxury at its best and we cannot recommend it enough.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Teresa S
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Teresa

Thank you for writing the recent review on tripadvisor.com

We appreciate all your wonderful comments. It is really rewarding to all team members in general and Kristina in particular to hear that you are pleased with the level of service you received during your recent visit.

Safe travels and let Kristina or myself know if I may assist with any reservation at The Upper House or other Swire Hotels in the future

The Upper House

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (541)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Taipei, Taiwan
Reviewed September 16, 2012

This is the fourth time we've stayed at The Upper House and it just keeps getting better! We had a harbor view which was spectacular. And I had forgotten how luxurious the bathroom is with panoramic views. And the gratis minibar is such a breath of fresh air! Unlike when the hotl first opened, the service has improved drastically. And unlike other trendy hotels, The Upper House is friendly and even homey!

Room Tip: Harbor view on the 38th floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for writing a review on tripadvisor.com

We truly appreciate your loyalty towards our hotel. It is wonderful to see that even after a fourth return visit, you perceive the hotel to be in better shape each time. Especially your positive comment about the friendly team is very rewarding to all of us. Rest assured that I have shared all your comments with our team.

Shame I was not able to meet you personally but do let me know when you return next so I may reach out to you.

Safe travels and let me know if I may assist with any reservation at The Upper House or other Swire Hotels.

Reviewed September 14, 2012

Awesome rooms great location food and bar ambience excellent. Close to business district and access to MTR. Shopping centre downstairs. Bath and view to die for. Remember to close the blinds unless you want to!!

• Stayed April 2012
Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor.com

We are pleased to hear that you like the location of our hotel.

Did you see our “sneaky peaky” note in the bathroom mentioning that the view is not a “one way only”?

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Spend four nights in the Upper House on a leisure trip to Hong Kong. If you go to HK and can afford it, book this hotel !!
Pay the extra money for harbour view and try to get as high as you can. I stayed on 45 floor.
Great breakfast on 49 floor. Staff is fantastic and beyond helpful. You will not regret it. I'll be back !!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
Many thanks for your recent review on tripadvisor.com

We are pleased to hear that you had a good time at “our house”.

Thank you for your special mention of the views from all our rooms. In fact, the lowest floor is 38 and even from there, nothing is in the way to either see the lovely Hong Kong harbor or the greeneries of the peak.

Reviewed September 12, 2012

This was recommeded by ex-colleagues who stayed there and it was a lovely experience.

We were in a studio 70 room and had an scenic view. The room was very comfortable, but the shower did take a little getting used to as it was open plan. Breakfast was not included but it was not an issue as there are plenty of places to eat in Hong Kong.

The free mini-bar was very welcome and a nice surprise.

The location is superb. The hotel may face competition from the big chains next door and having stayed at them previously, I prefer the Upper House hands down.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelingjoys
Many thanks for your detailed review on tripadvisor.com

We are pleased to hear that you had a good time at “our house”.

We feel that we did carve a bit of a niche in the Hong Kong market and your mention of the big chain competition is a good observation.
Lovely to hear really that you still would prefer us over the traditional products.

Please do let me know next time you return to Hong Kong so I may personally assist you with your arrangements

london
Reviewed September 9, 2012

Having stayed at some superb hotels around the world,i can without too much difficulty say that this hotel as a city hotel must surely be the best in the world...
We were upgraded to an upper house corner suite and WOW what a room.
Everything was perfection in its detailing and quality,design and function.
From the ipod touch to order room service,listen to music,check out what to do,to the free maxi bar,from the 3 tvs to the most comfy beds ever,from the most amazing views of hong kong to the REN toiletries,everything was 1st class..
Breakfast was the best i have ever had and evening dinner in the michelin starred restaurant with it"s superb food,service,wines and views was perfection.
The staff were simply spot on,no false smiles but genuine hospitality and warmth.
I would without hesitation return to this hotel and urge anyone who enjoys a true first class experience to book this hotel as you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank LondonJammer
Many thanks for your detailed review on tripadvisor.com

We are much honored that you call us “the best in the world”.

It is the genuine and relaxed hospitality we are trying to deliver and it is very rewarding to hear from you that we achieved this.

I would have loved to meet you during your past stay and hope to get the chance to do so in the future

Melbourne
Reviewed September 6, 2012

I have been fortunate to stay at many world reknown five star hotels, including The Peninsula , and my expectations of The Upper House were very high after reading Trip Advisor reviews. Despite this, The Upper House has exceeded anything that I have previously experienced, or could have imagined, of a hotel.
The hotel itself is very beautiful, with tranquil spaces and elegant decor. The rooms are remarkably large for Hong Kong, and the full wall windows allow stunning views. Each room is actually effectively four rooms, with a large living room/bedroom + dressing room + bathroom (with enormous bath, more view, TV and amazing shower) + toilet. With the heavenly Ren toilettries, although I'm in HK for a conference, I feel as though I have had a week in a spa.
The location is very central, and the hotel is on top of Pacific Place shopping centre and Admiralty, so travel anywhere via MTR (the super efficient, clean, safe, easy to use train system) is so easy. It's 10 minutes in a taxi to the HK Medical Conference Centre (and about AUD$8), for any doctors considering where to stay for a conference.
It's the Staff which really make the hotel so special, though. The Staff go beyond being willing to do things to improve your stay to actively seraching for ways to do this. There are many examples in the reviews, but I've had two experiences in particular. I was expecting a parcel to be delivered from a shop, and it did not arrive. I rang the concierge to ask whether anything had been delivered, and they asked the name and location of the shop. They then rang the shop, ascertained when the package could be delivered, arranged for this, and rang back to confirm with me. I over-shopped, and asked the staff about posting items home. They arranged for three different sized boxes to be left in my room, then arranged for the boxes to be weighed, and costed different ways to send the items home. Super impressive.
If you're considering where to stay in Hong Kong, stay here. It's perfect for leisure trips, and have made my business trip an absolute pleasure. You'll be so glad that you did. I may well have to be dragged out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MelbourneBookGirl
Marcel T, Manager at The Upper House, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
Many thanks for having taken the time to write such a detailed tripadivisor.com review!

It is exciting to hear that we were able to exceed your high expectations after your stays at what are considered to be Hong Kong’s most well known hotels.

We appreciate your highlighted complimentary notes about our team members and the service they provide on a daily basis.

Please do let me know next time you return to Hong Kong so I may personally meet you during your next visit.