I have stayed in some very nice 5 star hotels but this was another level. Prior to arrival we had a number of questions for the hotel, had them receive some items ahead of our stay and they always responded within the hour and always very very efficient. We had other non hotel related issues throughout the trip and the hotel were impeccable in assisting us.
For anyone taking the airport express train a taxi from HK station will be your best bet and will cost about $5HKD. However, we were happy to take the scenic route and caught the train then airport shuttle bus and get off at JW Marriott. The hotel entrances are 20m apart. Welcomed upon arrival and bags were taken to the room by one gentleman while another showed us around. We had an upper suite and I have seen some views but this was breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking. He wanted to show us around but I just wanted to stop and stare. He must've heard 'wow' a million times.
There was remote control curtains and sheers in the lounge and bedroom. Remote control blinds in the bathroom. In boxes like the tv remotes. Lighting buttons by each side of the bed. Very good free wifi access throughout the hotel. Free minibar (sans wine and champagne). The bottles of water came in very handy. They also had energy drinks, sparkling water, etc. Lots and lots of toiletries, things like bath oil, bath salts, a 15+ item full toiletries bag. The bed was heavenly. I get a bad back but it was perfect, it just ate me up. The room also had a yoga mat, umbrella, the best wardrobe space I've seen with soft closure drawers. The aircon worked perfectly and no noise. It was a touch entry system into the room and if you had your 'do not disturb' sign on it glowed through the wood outside the door. Housekeeping were very efficient. I would go on about the bathroom but the photos are everywhere for everyone to see. It is THAT good. The design and layout is genius. A double seating area and plug sockets in the drawer is just perfect for straighteners, hairdryers etc. In fact, the number of sockets throughout the suite was impressive. 2 x 2 bathrobes - one velour and one summer style.
My partner had a quick look at the gym and it wasn't huge but was nicely spaced in different rooms and with water, cereal bars, etc. We didn't use it as we didn't have time.
Breakfast at the top of the hotel was great. Everyone was so polite and from our second morning up there we were greeted by our name. We tried the pastries, cooked breakfast, fruit, pancakes, waffles, during our stay and all wonderful. Coffee was great too. We regret not having the Chinese breakfast though.
The hotel was in a great location for the mtr, trams, the peak, Hong Kong park, pacific place mall.
A lot of people say the MO has a better service level but I cannot imagine it being better than this. Every single member of staff we passed greeted us and they went well and truly above what I would expect or have had before. The best hotel I've stayed in and would go back tomorrow in a heartbeat.
My only concern is nothing will ever live upto this standard. We have since stayed in some great great suites but the Upper House had the wow factor and would make any trip to Hong Kong unforgettable.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Upper House is a highly individualized small luxury hotel designed by Hong Kong architect Andre Fu. The hotel’s 117 rooms (including 21 suites and 2 penthouses) start at 730sq ft – the largest in Hong Kong. They feature wonderfully spacious bathrooms and dressing areas, and offer either scenic harbour or island views. Calming and contemporary, the rooms are designed to provide a sense of relaxation, warmth and understated luxury. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Preferred Hotels, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Ctrip TA, Agoda, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Upper House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Upper House Hotel Hong Kong
- The Upper House Hong Kong