“Unbelievable”
Review of The Upper House

The Upper House
Ranked #1 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have stayed in some very nice 5 star hotels but this was another level. Prior to arrival we had a number of questions for the hotel, had them receive some items ahead of our stay and they always responded within the hour and always very very efficient. We had other non hotel related issues throughout the trip and the hotel were impeccable in assisting us.

For anyone taking the airport express train a taxi from HK station will be your best bet and will cost about $5HKD. However, we were happy to take the scenic route and caught the train then airport shuttle bus and get off at JW Marriott. The hotel entrances are 20m apart. Welcomed upon arrival and bags were taken to the room by one gentleman while another showed us around. We had an upper suite and I have seen some views but this was breathtaking. Absolutely breathtaking. He wanted to show us around but I just wanted to stop and stare. He must've heard 'wow' a million times.

There was remote control curtains and sheers in the lounge and bedroom. Remote control blinds in the bathroom. In boxes like the tv remotes. Lighting buttons by each side of the bed. Very good free wifi access throughout the hotel. Free minibar (sans wine and champagne). The bottles of water came in very handy. They also had energy drinks, sparkling water, etc. Lots and lots of toiletries, things like bath oil, bath salts, a 15+ item full toiletries bag. The bed was heavenly. I get a bad back but it was perfect, it just ate me up. The room also had a yoga mat, umbrella, the best wardrobe space I've seen with soft closure drawers. The aircon worked perfectly and no noise. It was a touch entry system into the room and if you had your 'do not disturb' sign on it glowed through the wood outside the door. Housekeeping were very efficient. I would go on about the bathroom but the photos are everywhere for everyone to see. It is THAT good. The design and layout is genius. A double seating area and plug sockets in the drawer is just perfect for straighteners, hairdryers etc. In fact, the number of sockets throughout the suite was impressive. 2 x 2 bathrobes - one velour and one summer style.

My partner had a quick look at the gym and it wasn't huge but was nicely spaced in different rooms and with water, cereal bars, etc. We didn't use it as we didn't have time.

Breakfast at the top of the hotel was great. Everyone was so polite and from our second morning up there we were greeted by our name. We tried the pastries, cooked breakfast, fruit, pancakes, waffles, during our stay and all wonderful. Coffee was great too. We regret not having the Chinese breakfast though.

The hotel was in a great location for the mtr, trams, the peak, Hong Kong park, pacific place mall.

A lot of people say the MO has a better service level but I cannot imagine it being better than this. Every single member of staff we passed greeted us and they went well and truly above what I would expect or have had before. The best hotel I've stayed in and would go back tomorrow in a heartbeat.

My only concern is nothing will ever live upto this standard. We have since stayed in some great great suites but the Upper House had the wow factor and would make any trip to Hong Kong unforgettable.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank F1y_away
There are newer reviews for The Upper House

Reviewed September 15, 2011

the best of everything at this boutique hotel.... luxury, technology, service attention to detail and everyone calls you by name. can't fault it....

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2011

I stayed at the Upper House for a weekend away in Hong Kong. I'd read great a great review and really wanted to spoil my husband and I.

We booked a harbour view room and it really lived up to our expectations. The room featured floor to ceiling windows which provided a fabulous view of the Harbour. The bed was super comfortable - soft bedding, plus pillows. Wonderful bath with super comfy cushion Great sized room (especially for Hong Kong!) and the maxi bar was a great touch.

We enjoyed breakfast at Cafe Gray which was beautifully presented. The coffees were perfectly made.

Loved the Ren toiletries which were restocked during our two night stay.

The Upper House is expensive. But it is worth it.

Room Tip: Pay extra for a Harbour view room - you need to make the most of Hong Kong.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 12, 2011

The Upper House is one of the most beautiful hotels I've ever stayed. The staff were very knowledgeable and went out of their way to be helpful...one thoughtful touch included a staff member bringing me some reading materials on the "lawn" after I had checked out and was waiting for my airport transfer. "D" and Derrick were both wonderful; the former was very courteous and helped familiarize me with the hotel and the area around the hotel, and Derrick was kind enough to assist me with my bags as I went to the hotel next door for Airport Express transfer.

The hotel is completely paperless (so refreshing!) and very modern in design and character. Every detail is considered...even the lovely signature scent of the hotel lobby and common areas. Room decor is stunning and very chic...bed was extremely luxurious from the mattress comfort to the linens. As others have noted, there is a "free" minibar inclusive of snacks, which is a pleasant treat when you compare to other high-end hotels with mini-bar prices to match.

I look forward to planning another trip to Hong Kong just so I can stay at the Upper House again!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2011

The Upper House hotel is everything previous reviewers have stated. It is pure luxury with great service from great staff.

Depending upon your reason for visiting HK, its location could either be good or bad. Its primarily a business hotel located on top of the JW Marriot hotel, however with its own small entrance and foyer next door. Located in Pacific Place it is some distance from either the subway or the ferries. Local shopping is also some distance away, however for those who want desinger shops, the Pacific Plaza is opposite with every possible top level store represented there as well as some excellent eating places.

Being small also means that it is quiet, however we found the Cafe Gray on the 49th floor full of business types and very noisy, making a quiet drink or meal out of the question.

The rooms are large for HK standards and contain all the mod cons that you would expect. Very comfy bed and complimentary mini bar were highlights. A full length bath with views out over the harbour was a delight.

My only gripe was that there was no buffet breakfast, but rather an expensive a la carte service which also makes for a longer wait if you are in a hurry.

This hotel has set a new standard for 5 star hotels and many other so called 5 star properties must now be rated as 4 star.

Very well recommended, we enjoyed our stay totally.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2011

Attentive service, great suite. The lawn was a good place to have a pre-dinner drink away from the crowds of Cafe Grey

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 3, 2011

After having stayed at the Peninsula previously, we wanted to experience a different take on luxury hotels in Hong Kong. For those who are after a grand entrance with white gloved bellboys, this is not the hotel for you. Subtle and elegant rooms with plenty of little surprises - the all inclusive minibar, a delightful turn down service with warm milk and cookies and the aforementioned iPod controller. It is true that it is a bit hard to find and not everything went perfectly smoothly but impeccable service more than made up for it. Cafe Grey Deluxe makes some of the best cocktails in HK too. To top it all off, they saw we were there for my birthday and had a gift (and one for my partner to be fair) waiting on check out.

Room Tip: The Studios facing the water are worth a bit extra if you are there during the day to get the view o...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple