“Good price but not a very convienent location”

Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees
Ranked #163 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 17, 2013

This hotel was great and so was the staff. Everyone there was very polite by opening doors, helping with bags and giving you ideas of where to do for fun. There are a lot of business around and some nice restaurants and markets. The room was nice and we were really high up and had some good views of the area. The only draw back was that it was far from downtown Hong Kong. They do provide a free shuttle service though to Hung Hom station and to the ferry area downtown. The internet service here at the time was $15(U.S.) per day. We went out walking around a lot so we did not have time for the internet. Overall I would stay again!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Craig M
There are newer reviews for Harbour Plaza 8 Degrees

Reviewed January 14, 2013

We visited HK for New Years this year (Dec 2012-Jan 2013). This hotel, Harbor Plaza 8 Degrees was “The Worst Hotel” we've ever stayed in on a foreign trip. Let me tell you why:

Horrible Location: Like my friend (who is an HK local) described, this hotel is located in Vashi/New Bombay and for everything you need to travel to Churchgate! Nothing is closeby - no decent restaurants, no sightseeing, no place to take a walk, nothing. It is in an area with dilapidated/old buildings around. So basically, when you don’t have a planned activity for the day, you cant step out of the hotel.

But how can you even stay indoors, when you have such rooms?

Their Superior Room is sooo small, basically just one bed, one desk, one cupboard, that’s it. No space to walk around in the room. Even my 3 year old used to get cranky when she was in the room because she did not have any space to move around or play with her toys.

There is absolutely no space to keep luggage.

In the bathroom, the shower area and toilet were separate, but both were soooo tiny. You cant even stretch your hands in either of the areas, you actually hit the wall or the door. And if you try to turn around, you hit the wall or the door.

It’s a four star hotel which actually doesn’t serve any complimentary drinking water in the room!!

The cups placed in rooms were dirty, when we checked into our room.

And the temperature in the room cant be regulated. The AC would run at 20 degrees at all times and any effort to change temperature to 24-25 degrees was in vain. Even when we switch the AC off, it was still running (though at a very miniscule fan speed) and the room continued to be cold. When we asked the hotel staff, they said nothing can be done about it.

Most of the rooms at the hotel had two single beds joined together (not double beds), as mentioned by their staff.

Since staying in such a room was impossible, we tried to upgrade our room to suites (they have only two category of rooms - superior rooms & Suites). When requesting for an upgrade, we told the hotel staff that since we are travelling with a child, we wanted adjoining rooms and we were assured then that we would be given adjoining suites when we return from our day tour. When we get back in the night, we find our luggage in two rooms at two ends of the hall. However, when we insisted for adjoining rooms, they kept repeating that no other room is free and were very rude about it.

So then, we refused to take the upgrade because rooms far away were more inconvenient for us. The Hotel Staff refused that as well. Then we requested to talk to the hotel manager and after a 1 hour plus ordeal, we were given rooms which were somewhat closeby but still not next to each other.

And the beds still were two single beds joined together in a suite in a 4 star!!!

There’s more. One night (at around 2 am) we were stranded in an area where we could not find any taxi or bus and no one could guide us to the hotel. We contacted the hotel, requesting them to send hotel Car or some help to get us back. They said they have no hotel cars, refused any help and disconnected the call.

Despite having many Indians, there is absolutely no Indian food available. Even the vegetarian options are very limited. And once when we ordered some dinner, we were served vegetarian food alongwith non-vegetarian dips.

The staff of this hotel is very rude and very non co-operative in every way.

I must say, this is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in and wouldn't recommend it to anyone.

7  Thank AkankshaLohia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I was in this hotel from 7th to 12th January 2013 (went to Macau 8-9 jan). I had booked for standard room but was upgraded to suite so not too sure about the condition of the standard room. Their suite have dining & living area and the bathroom is so so small. The bedroom, just enough to fit in 1 king size bed. Don't expect good view cos there is non. My room faces a condominium in which we have to keep the curtains close all the time cos its i can see what the people are doing in their homes & vice versa. Buffet breakfast was acceptable. Location, no malls & trains nearby so if you wish to go shopping or sight seeing, take a bus or a cab. Service is average. the only helpful staff around are the concierge. But overall its acceptable due to its low cost. But remember this, if you have a baby with you, find a hotel in Mong kok or Tst. Langham would be good.

• Stayed: January 2013
2  Thank Lizashahrul
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Reasonable price, free shuttle bus to metro, Bay Area, and TST area.
Very small room, but again you are in Hong Kong, and clean rooms. The bathroom it's quite different, feels like you are in a glass box. No bathtub.
Staff was friendly.
The Wifi package it's very expensive.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Carolina O
Reviewed December 30, 2012

Overall I am satisfied staying at this hotel. But I would like ot highlight 2 points. One is the air conditioing. It is stated in the hotel website that the rooms have individual temperature control
But this is NOT TRUE. I tried to adjust the temp higher than the set temp of 22.5 to 2 3deg C.But I was unable to do it. I called housekeeping who send somebody to my room & advised me that the temp is set at 22.5 to 2 3deg. If I feel cold, I can off the air cond & switch it to FAN mode,which means only air will be supplied to the room but with the air cond switched off.
For the air cond , u have 3 choices i.e high,medium & low. Same for the FAN mode, u have high,medium & low fan mode. BUT YOU CANT ADJUST THE TEMP !!!
2nd, I ordered Haninese Chicken rice & Sweet & sour pork for my dinner one night. The food was horrible. If you eat at those cafes nearby,it tastes better.
Tip: There is a SIngapore Restaurant nearby.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SK C
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We came with a tour group and arrived after 4 pm and were given 2 rooms on the club floor on the 20th level. One room has a king size bed and the other with 2 single beds. The beds were very comfortable and sleep was good. The rooms were in excellent conditions and everything was like brand new. No bathtub in our rooms though.

The funny thing was that one room was given 2 bottles of mineral water and the other you have to pay if you request for it. The king bed room has plenty of TV channels while the other one has limited number of channels. Both rooms have big bay windows facing the appartments just across the hotel.

Feedback from other tour members given rooms on the lower floors was not that great. Rooms were small and conditions not as good.

Hotel location is not right outside touristy spots. Shuttle service was available but we gave it a miss as the mini bus was usually full and schedule not like every 15 minutes. Bus services were readily available just ouside the hotel or the street infront of the hotel to catch a ride to Mongkok (bus 27) or Avenues of Stars (bus 5C). Taxi fares to Mongkok was under HKD50.

Not sure about the hotel rates as we came with a tour package but I suppose the hotel room we got was bigger compared with other hotels along Nathan Road which will cost a lot more with much smaller space.

The hotel lobby is a bit unusual as there is a slope down to the lift lobby while the area around the hotel is flat. The floor of the lobby comes with big squares decorative tiles which is a bit giddy to look at with that slope in place which seems to be more than 8 degrees as the name of the hotel suggests. Overall would recommend this hotel if the price is much lower than the hotels along Nathan Road.

Room Tip: The club floor rooms are really good.
1  Thank TJX05
Reviewed December 20, 2012

I reached the hotel after 3pm. The check-in was not smooth. At first the counter staff told me that there was no record of my booking. After I told her that the tour agent had confirmed my booking, she went to the back room to check and she took about 10 mins to do so. She said my 2 rooms were not ready and asked me to come back after 5pm ! After some reasoning, she finally found the 2 rooms. Really the check-in service should be improved !

On the other hand, the concierge service was very good. A man in black suite signalled the bell boy to carry my 5 pieces of luggages when I was outside the hotel. They were helpful to advise on transportation and route to get to the destination. In short, they were eager to help !

My rooms were at the 17th floor. They were clean, comfortable and reasonable big with window cushion platform. Kind of relax to sit by the window and enjoy a cup of hot beverage. Coffee making facilities and 2 complementary bottles of drinking water were provided.

Short walking distance to shops selling famous egg tarts and egg rolls, 7-11, wet market and small eateries. Taxi to Ladies Market costs HK35 and Ocean Park costs HK175 (Eastern Tunnel) during off peak.

1  Thank SingaporeFamily