“Sohotel is really just so-so”
Review of Sohotel

Sohotel
Ranked #156 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed October 18, 2012

Sohotel is really just so-so, the only thing I am impressed are the hotel front desk staff which is always polite and helpful. Considering the amount I pay for this hotel which is cheaper than regular HK hotel price, I really shouldn't complain.

Pros:
- very polite and helpful staff
- convenient location, only 5 min walk to MTR station
- bathroom relatively spacious (although still small), considering how small the room is as I have seen even smaller bathrooms in HK
- cheap
- does have all the necessary amenities such as shower cap, toothbrush with colgate tooth paste, slippers, towers, etc

Cons:
- super tiny room
- not very clean
- rooms and furniture pretty dated, although hotel only opened for 3 years
- guests in the room next to me was secretly smoking which caused my room to smell as well

Overall for this price I think it's worth the money because you can get worse. If you want something cheap, convenient, and don't really care that much about quality of your room this is your choice

Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed October 14, 2012

I stayed there in September for 3 days and it was cozy, comfortable and clean. The staff there are really polite and very helpful. They showers are awesome with strong pressure. Communicating in English was not a problem at all. There are many dining options in the surrounding area and it is a 5-10 min walk to Sheung Wan MTR station. The Hotel is also pretty close to the tram lines. It is pretty close to Central MTR where you can get off and on the Airport Express and it costs about 30-40 HKD if you take a taxi.
My only complaint is that the bed is a little too soft for my liking.

Room Tip: Room may not come with a electric kettle, however they do provide one for free if you request for on...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 29, 2012

The location is really good, you can easily find something to eat nearby. The people around that area is much more polite than Kowloon area. Standard room is small but it's just nice, hardly put in two big luggage. But the room is clean and tidy, bed is comfortable. Staff if very friendly for inquiries and even willing to provide extra free mineral water. Breakfast is included some more, not very delicious though. I had left a diamond ring on the table and found that it's in perfect condition when I'm back to the hotel. I don't know what to complaint about :) I'll definitely stay the same hotel in next trip to Hong Kong.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Joiceyu725
Reviewed September 6, 2012

The location is perfect, really nice neighborhood. Rooms are extremely small but very quiet and the bed is really comfortable. Staff is kind. I have no complains. It's not cheap, but you won't find anything cheaper in the same location. Breakfast is not included, there is no restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2012

I have stayed in this hotel a couple of times.

As others have pointed out, there is not much space in the rooms. The "wardrobe" space in the superior room does not have doors, and on both occasions I was there, there was a bit of dust along the wall, which flew around as I hung my clothes. Otherwise, I found the place to be clean and pleasant looking. I wish the blackout curtain had been much longer, though. Light was bursting in from underneath it. However, the bed was very comfortable. Overall, I felt that the room served me well.

On one of those occasions, a signal no. 10 typhoon (the strongest) hit Hong Kong in the night, but I was blissfully unaware of that in the hotel room. The next day, I found out that some Hongkongers had been unable to sleep that night from the noise of the heavy downpour, so I counted myself lucky! This is of course a rare event.

Yes, some of the staff are not so polished. After I had checked out, I came back to collect my luggage and requested to use the bathroom. The one I spoke to showed all kinds of exasperation on his face and was not exactly handling it smoothly--until we clarified that I wanted to use a toilet. Other encounters with the staff went well, so I'm quite happy on this front.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 12, 2012

1. Pushy and unreasonable staff: my husband had to leave his luggage at Sohotel at about 9am because his flight arrived in HK early. I arrived later at 11am because I took a different flight. At 9am, the reservation staff at Sohotel insisted that my husband paid for the room deposit with his credit card and another $300 in cash for a separate deposit. My husband requested for the staff to take the deposit from me later at 11am. But the staff declined and insisted that he had to pay. I do not understand the hotel's policies re. this, especially when my husband was not given a room key and had not officially checked in.
2. Lack of space
a. I wanted to leave a hand carry luggage at the hotel on 18-21 July and my request was turned down. I understand the lack of space at this hotel. On the contrary, I and my husband stayed at L'Hotel Island South and we were able to store our huge Samsonite luggage there on 23-31 July. L'Hotel was a tad far from the city area but the service and space provided there as compared to Sohotel made us regret that we booked Sohotel in the first place.
b. The room at Sohotel was terribly small too.
3. My request for a high floor room was met so that was reasonably good.

Room Tip: Request for a high floor and away from the elevator.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed in a superiour double on one of the higher floors. The room was just like the images on their website, very clean and tidy with elegant design. Even though is was located very centrally, it was nice and quiet at night. We realised on the first day that our fridge didn't work and mentioned it to reception staff. The same afternoon our fridge was in working order including cold drinks in it. The service was very good and the staff were always very helpful with any enquiries we had.

The hotel name might be misleading, as the hotel is not located in Soho, but in Sheung Wan. Soho is about a 10-15 minute walk away, though easy to walk there day and night.

The only downfall was the internet. Even though the internet speed was alright, the internet was somewhat limited/restricted. Our mobile apps weren't able to update. They got stuck half way which made them unusable. The way we fixed this problem was to visit the Apple Store where internet was in normal working condition.

Overall I'd definitely recommend this place as a great place to stay.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple