“Very nice rooms and good location”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #55 of 729 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed November 4, 2013

We stayed 4 nights in this recent hotel. The entrance and reception hall is surprisingly small for a hotel of this standard, however it doesn't really matter unless you (or visitors awaiting you) need to sit on a too soft and uncomfortable sofa just in front of the doors. Also there are only 3 lifts and sometimes it takes time to get to the room.
The rooms are splendid : spacious, clean, extremely quiet and the beds are among the best I know in a hotel. Likewise our bathroom was spacious and without default - except the average quality of the bathing products. Same comment applies to the tea and coffee - too basic (Lipton Yellow and such !) for a nice hotel. There is no way to get a sea view as the hotel is well inside the city, I recommend to ask for a view to the racecourse.
Breakfast is quite nice, you can get a lot of things, the room is a little busy sometimes but overall it is quite nice.
There is a good Chinese restaurant in the hotel too.
Staff is overall very kind and helpful.
Location is quite good : Times square is a few minutes away, as is Hysan Gardens and other malls. There is also plenty of restaurants and shops in the streets around. If you plan to travel to Central or to Kowloon by metro, just bear in mind that it takes about 10 minutes to reach the metro platform after entering the entrance A (Causeway Bay station) which is the Times square one. After that the metro is quite efficient, clean and quick.

Room Tip: Ask for a racecourse view
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank flyingFrenchman29
Crowneplazahk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2013

Dear flyingFrenchman29,

Thank you very much for sharing the experience of your stay at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay.

We are glad to hear that you like our guest room and you were satisfied with the comfortable beds. Your comment about the quality of bathroom amenity and guestroom amenity has been documented and will be communicated with concerned department.

Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback which enables us to improve further. Look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay

Write a ReviewReviews (1,042)

Reviewed November 2, 2013

I used points when booking this room and paid for upgrade to higher level room.
The bar on the 28th floor is nice, the only downgrade is that the pool is basically fully visibel from the bar whichbsuppliers not that pleasenphone when taking a bath in front of all guess.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Crowneplazahk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Dear Peter_Pe,

Thank you for your review. Believe that you enjoyed your stay with us and satisfied with our comfortable room and excellent view. Besides, your comment about Club @28 has been documented and passed to certain department.

Once again, thank you for staying with us. Look forward to seeing you in the near future.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Firstly, as somebody who stays in excess of 50 nights per year in either CP of IC hotels, my Platinum card gets me an upgrade when hotel has spare rooms. Now I was here six nights, just checked out 29/10, had two rooms, spent around HK$45,000 and still didn't get an upgrade. When I checked in I asked I was told I had been upgraded..... er I booked the racecourse view room - king bed!!!!

Now with that off my chest, the hotel otherwise is fine. Rooms are actually in my own view better than most major cities, inc London and New York. Plenty of towels, and staff seem to check the room two or three times a day. Good bed, and my upgrade view, that I paid for was fine (1403) was better than my other room (1406) of jack Wills and the traffic.

As regards eating here, there is a buffet affair, which isn't for me, but looked OK. I ate in the Chinese restaurant, which although expensive, was very good. Loved the prawns. Drank a few times on level 28 bar - very good staff, always smiled, did their best and were a credit to CP.

Was going to use the pool one night, but it faces into bar level 28 bar, and didn't fancy being the attraction for the diners, still looked great.

Overall, good hotel, but with my level of membership, number of nights i booked, money I spent, and the fact the hotel wasn't happy, didn't feel like I was a valued guest at all, just the same as anybody else.

Now before hotel management come out with the usual, look us up next time and we will put in right rubbish, why should there be a next time....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank sophielaura

Dear sophielaura,

First of all, thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay with us and for being our IHG Rewards Club member, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels.

Secondly, as a Platinum Elite Member, a complimentary room upgrade would be offered which based on hotel availability. Referring the hotel situation on your check-in day, one of your rooms was upgraded to Racecourse View room. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience and misunderstanding caused for this incident. Our Director of Rooms has contacted you through email and more details of this case were elaborated in the email already. Any feedback is very welcomed. Besides, we are delighted to hear that you like Club @28. We will continue to provide good service and high quality of food and beverage to you.

Last but not least, thank you once again for your constructive comments. These will certainly enable us to improve our communication skill and eliminate any misunderstanding between guests and us. We hope this would not deter you from choosing us again in the future. We look forward to welcoming you very soon. Thank you.

Reviewed October 25, 2013

As background I live in Macau and know HK very well. We come over to HK fairly frequently and usually stay at The Sheraton or if partying the best value hotel in Wanchai. HK hotel prices are exorbitant sometimes and decent others. I have high status with IHG but have never stayed at this hotel. This was a weekend when the best deal was still a very pricey stay here but because I needed a late checkout it was worth paying the US$300++ that was on offer.

The hotel;

For:

Decent but not huge sized rooms

Great staff

Well kept and very clean

Impressive breakfast - Dim Sum was superb, far better than the normal commercial stuff. That said the yoghurt was dire - over sweetened or low fat Nestlé. They may be expensive brands but as was commented by Scandinavians on adjacent tables they are rubbish.

I was amazed that my IHG status upgrade included - as in the drinks and food package on the 28th floor. And it really was good. It was not the usual club floor buffet fried --sweet ---carb filled ---stodge. The concept was a menu of a few wines and beers plus a small number of food options. I chose a Petit Chablis from Moreau and a salad plus a tandoori chicken. All excellent. Way better than The Sheraton Towers.

Downside
Location is in an awkward corner of Causeway Bay. The tram outside goes via Happy Valley and that is a touristic but pretty useless route. Contrary to other comments it is a one off routing otherwise very inconvenient.

Taxis are also routed via the Happy Valley one way system which adds time, especially on race days and money. If you walk 10m to the right of the hotel and flag down a taxi you avoid the crazy detour.

There are not enough elevators - they need a separate escalator to the first floor restaurant.

The club on the 28th floor is pleasant but the music is inappropriately loud, and despite what is said elsewhere HK is about a proper view of Victoria Harbour at this price level. Nice views but they are second grade from. They really are not what you want as a first time tourist in HK.

Oh and thanks hotel - we are still laughing about our stay weeks later. I'm Caucasian and my wife is Asian. We came back at 3am from a night in Wanchai - dressed for the party that Wanchai is. The door man greeted me looking at my wife with "your Friend" - as in no unregistered guests - Wanchai style. I fired back "my wife" and both my wife and I broke in to a fit of giggles. She is now known in Macau as "friend". Management don't respond it was understandable and has given us and our friends much amusement.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank carbine

Dear carbine,

Thank you for sharing your valuable comment with us and for being an IHG Rewards Club member, we value your loyalty to our brand and hotels.

We are delighted to know that you were impressed by our breakfast and the IHG Rewards Club benefits. Club @28 is a special venue for our loyalty members. We will continue to maintain the food and beverage quality. Regarding your comment about the music at Club @28, it has been documented and will be looked into.

Being our valued guest, your opinion and feedback is very important to us, as it will help us to further enhance and shape our service in delivering a truly memorable and authentic experience to our members. Please do not hesitate to contact with us any time if we can be of assistance to you for your next stay. Look forward to seeing you very soon. Thank you very much for your support.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

If you want a fantastic hotel in Hong Kong you can't go past the Crown Plaza in Causeway bay. Great location and a real funky place. The staff are all out of the top draw and good fun. The rooms are massive with up to date fittings. The bar on the 28th has views to die for and a happy hour from 5.30pm until 9.00.
Everything is on the door step, the shopping at Times Square will match any shopping Mall anywhere in the World. The buffet breakfast on the 1st floor was very good, lots of choice and very well presented.
This hotel is great value for money and well worth checking out. I'm planning to visit HK soon and I'll be staying at the Crown Plaza.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking Happy Valley race Couse the view is out of this World with the HK sky li...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Crowneplazahk, Manager at Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear Barry H,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback with us. We listen to our guest comments every time and try the best to improve our food quality and staff service. We are pleased to know your appreciation on our hotel location and food & beverage outlets. We will continue to improve further and hope to exceed our guest expectations.

Once again, thank you for the review. We hope to have an opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is situated 5 mins from Times Square and Causeway Bay MTR giving a 15 min journey to Central. The tram drops off outside for a more unusual commute

Rooms are excellent, quiet and have good views

The club 28 bar and Pavilion nice to come back to. Attentive and pleasant staff

Thanks for another good stay

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Andrew M,

Thank you for your stay at Crowne Plaza Hong Kong Causeway Bay. We are glad to know that you appreciated our hotel location, an aspect of our hotel that is preferred by many of our guests. We will make sure to provide comfortable rooms and excellent service in order to make your stay more memorable.

Thank you for your support. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

I stayed here with my wife for a week as a Platinum member and was really pleased that the check-in staff could accommodate our request for a room with a view over Happy Valley! We were given a corner room relatively high up and had spectacular views on not just the racecourse (which looked amazing light up at night time) but also the distant mountains.

Location
There is a tram stop just outside the hotel, but it is more likely to be useful when returning to the hotel as it only goes in one direction. Taxis may take a while to flag down as it is a busy road. However, the metro is a couple of blocks away at the Times Square shopping centre (Causeway Bay station). There are plenty of good local restaurants and shops nearby.

Facilities
You *have* to visit the Club@28 on the 28th floor, where there are the best views in the hotel. Alongside the bar/restaurant is a decent length swimming pool and outdoor shower. It's surprisingly relaxing swimming in the pool whilst peering over the edge looking down on the bustling streets of Hong Kong. The gym, on the same floor, was never busy and well equipped.

Rooms
Every night they were cleaned to a high standard and there was a nightly turndown service (it was nice touch to find pairs of slippers put by our bedside). Air conditioning was quiet and we quickly forgot about how humid Hong Kong was.

From a price perspective I ended up using hotel points as I this would have been too expensive, but I was impressed with the availability for booking reward nights (usually there is very limited availability when doing this sort of thing) and was pleasantly surprised to find there was not even any tax to pay on top as you would in USA.

Local restaurant tip
There is a brilliant restaurant just opposite the hotel entrance. It doesn't look like much from the outside but this narrow, dingy looking restaurant is well known amongst locals for doing some of the best food around.

Room Tip: Room Tip: Request view of Happy Valley racecourse.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pandaexplorer

Dear pandaexplorer,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We appreciated that you made positive review of each part of our hotel. We believe that you enjoyed the stay with us and your stay experience would be memorable.

We will continue to strive in delivering quality service and food, allowing our guests’ to indulge in the best they deserve. Once again thank you for your support. We hope to see you in the near future.