“Does what it says on the tin”

Crowne Plaza Hotel Hong Kong Causeway Bay
Ranked #52 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Rome, Italy
“Does what it says on the tin”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

Firstly let me start by saying I would give this 3.5 stars, however since no halfs allowed I deliberated for while (few seconds).... It doesnt get 4 stars as poor recognition on PC Platinum members. It complies with the 'requirement' from IHG, but stops short of being a great hotel. THis is my third visit to this hotel. Location is great in Causeway bay and very close to Times Square and major shopping malls. Rooms are also very nicely appointed and modern.

One point of note which I see in many comments as a positive, but I have another negative side to add. The Bathroom has a huge glass shower which looks into the bedroom and bathroom, but through from the bedroom side, when you are sitting on the toilet, imagine if your partner/lover/colleague could see you in the compromised position, which is the case here. In my case it wasn't a problem, as I have always wanted to see my other half like that :)

No access to club lounge for Platinum members, very strange. Seems like the hotel uses this as a means to get people to spend more money - room upgrade sir? Pool area is quite small, but very nice on the roof level. However for a hotel of this size it has 5 sun beds, two in the pool (nice), two outside and another miles away. Breakfast not included in room (very strange for Platinum again!) and very expensive.... however nearby shops and starbucks fill that need for a fraction of the price. Very nice hotel, but could be oh so much nicer. The hotel room incidentally would get 4-5 Stars.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank WorldwideTravellerRo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

What a great hotel and the staff were lovely and so helpful (one of them even wrote us a little personal note and left it for us on our departure to say what a pleasure it was to know us and that she hoped we'd be back). We had a club room on a high floor overlooking the Happy Valley racecourse and the mountains behind it. Hong Kong had a really bad Typhoon only the day before we arrived and it was still very wet and wild. The view over the mountain with the surrounding clouds was terrific.

Our room had a glass wall in the bathroom so that you could shower and look through that glass wall to the window and beyond to that beautiful view. There was also a sliding panel that shut off that glass wall if you needed privacy. A great hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get one on the Happy Valley side
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Having just arrived from BKK we went to check in at around 3.15pm. Our room wasn't ready which I understand so we left for about an hour for some food. Upon return the room still wasn't ready. After 10 minutes of phone calls and mutterings between desk clerks we were told to take the elevator to a room and keys and our luggage would be sent later (?).

We arrived in the room which had a terribly overpowering smell of smoke. I requested a room change which was NOT well accepted by the desk clerk. The surly bell boy came and grunted to us 'change room?'.

The next room was quite nice. Not overly spacious, the bathroom had everything you need and a separate shower and tub which is great.

The swimming pool is on the roof which is always a plus and is very nice. However it is right outside the floor to ceililng windows of the bar, makes for somewhat of a fishbowl experience. The hotel has one floor which is open air and provides seats for smokers. Very convenient so that you don't have to stand at the street, which is why I'm not sure why the first room smelled so terribly.

Hotel is opposite a seven eleven and a watsons, which is great. And literally only moments walk to times square shopping centre. The tram stops right out the front and the causeway bay MTR is accessible from Times Square. So the location is very good, especially for leisure.

Check out was fine, very quick and the bell desk was more than happy to store our bags for 2 days while we went to Macau. Probably the only obliging dealing during the stay.

Overall the hotel is not horrible, but there's a big sense of 'you need us, we don't need you' purveyed by the staff in most departments. One is spoilt for choice in Hong Kong so if you're really after service and a great experience choose another hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank syd_traveller_8807
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012 via mobile

The hotel was really good, the room was great and also nothing to complain about the service. The price for this hotel was as well okay. However, it seems, that the bar on the rooftop is quite popular and that caused sometimes, that you had to wait ages for the elevator. And sometimes the elevator was full. This was really annoying! Otherwise nothing to complain

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Comfortable and modern and close to transport. Great location for Happy Valley - you can sit and have a cocktail overlooking the course. However, it is therefore a little less central for transit points and the main hussle and bussle. Though taxis are cheap. Rooms are good but breakfast not great.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank akentmm
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

The Crowne Plaza is conveniently located in the Causeway bay area of Hong Kong. It is predominantly a business-type hotel. They have a very small gym at the top floor and an outdoor pool on the rooftop - unfortunately the pool is right next to the bar where people sit and eat and drink whilst looking at you in the pool. This is very uncomfortable.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank PEMtheDane
Portland, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

I stayed at the Crown Plaza Causeway Bay from June 30-July 23, 2012 while in Hong Kong for a short-term business assignment. I arrived in the middle of the night on June 30th and was shocked when I discovered the manager had waited until my arrival before going home for the night. The staff was wonderful during my entire stay, going as far as asking what my favorite fruit was so that they could have a fresh basket for me every day! The room was large and perfect for the average business traveller or couple. The furniture and fixtures were also modern, clean, and comfortable.

The location of this hotel is perfect, regardless of your plans while in Hong Kong. It's a two-minute walk to the MTR and Times Square. Being in Causeway Bay means you have access to every type of shopping imagineable. The gym of the hotel looks over the Happy Valley Race Course. I was lucky enough to be on the treadmil during the last race of the season and got to view it for free!

My one negative view of the hotel was the housekeeping. Since I was staying for so long, I thought it was unnescessary to have someone clean and tidy my room on a daily basis. I asked the housekeeper if they could serivce my room twice a week, but apparently that wasn't allowed. Instead, I was forced into keeping my "Do Not Disturb" sign on the door at all times. This resulted in a daily message indicating that they tried to service my room. For most people this wouldn't be a problem and in the end it really wasn't that big of a deal. I was more annoyed by the fact that they wouldn't accomodate such a simple request.

The hotel is expensive from a US perspective, but it is reasonable for Hong Kong. I would definately recommend this hotel to everyone I know looking for a great place to stay while in visiting Hong Kong. I would also encourage everyone to joing their Priority Rewards program as you get benefits just for signing up, even if you have no status.

Room Tip: Request a room on a higher floor or at least above floor 8. The 5th floor is the smoking floor and t...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business