“A great family hotel”

Ranked #55 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Melbourne, Australia
“A great family hotel”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Our young family of 6, spent 6 nights at The Harbour Grand and it was fabulous, having stayed @ It's sister hotel over on Kowloon 3 years ago. This hotel is perfect for families or couples. The lobby is absolutely divine, with a Harpist playing as you enter. Check in was super fast and efficient, the rooms were extremely comfortable and the pool was fabulous after a busy day exploring Hong Kong.This hotel is located in Causeway Bay, a little out of Central, but a courtesy bus runs every 30 minutes around town to compensate for this, or you can walk 2 blocks and catch the MTR at fortress Hill and be at Central within minutes. We dined at The Chinese restaurant 2 nights and the meals and service were very good also and the stunning view looking out to The light show on Victoria Harbour. I was in total awe of the fabulous pool change facility, after the children swam, we would utilise the change room facilities showers, shampoo, conditioner, combs, clean towels, plastic bags to take your bathers back to your room, hairdryer, scales etc. It was brilliant! We enjoyed complimentary drinks in the lobby lounge on check in, which had a very relaxed vibe. My only complaint would be the lack of service around the pool area when ordering drinks and food etc. But I would definitely recommend this hotel to guests looking for a fabulous hotel in Hong Kong. Congratulations to the team @ Harbour Grand on such dedicated, committed and friendly staff members...

Room Tip: Opt for a room with a view of the stunning Victoria Harbour...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank GouFam

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (922)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 16, 2013

If you're looking for a slightly cheaper hotel this is a good choice, even for business travellers. It's not in the CBD, but 5 minutes away on the metro (Fortress Hill). The rooms are HK style and a little small, but comfortable and each room has a view of the bay.
The hotel bar on the top floor is also a great place for a drink with good views of the HK skyline.
It's a 2 minute walk to the hotel from Fortress Hill station and you can get in to the centre of town very easily.
All in all I'd stay here again and would recommend this to business and leisure travellers.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 16, 2013

From the moment I entered the room I was enthralled. I had a reasonably standard room, I thought, but it was outstanding. The view right up Hong Kong Harbour was stunning, i couldnt help but just sit by the window and watch the traffic on the harbour. The bathroom was the nicest I've ever seen in a hotel.
Presentation of even the fruit platter, was superb.

Room Tip: As the hotel is built to have the majority of rooms take advantage of the harbour view, it's mos...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Business trip so I needed to be in the area. First time at the Harbour Grand.
First impressions:arrival in a non-descript street surrounded by what seemed like small auto repair shops. This isn't an issue, it's what I like about Hong Kong, but across the road they are starting to build a new development... may cause traffic issues in the future.

The hotel lobby is very vast, almost felt like a train terminal! I think the property could do with some softer furnishings in this space to minimise the ambient noise. When I arrived there were about 100 people in the lobby, most likely a large tour group so it added to the hustle and bustle.

Check-In / Check-out: Took forever. I am not sure what the check-in clerk was doing but he seemed to be shuffling paper around needlessly. I took off one rating star in my review because of this, also, during checkout the process was just as bad. I would say my checkin process time took about 30 mins, and that is not including the wait time in queue! Not acceptable in my experience.

Room: had a harbour view room which was terrific. The hotel is positioned in such a way whereby most rooms have a view of the harbour. This is the best feature of the property. The furniture in the room was very good, shower / bathroom ok if showing a little wear and tear. Aircon system looked dated in my room, worked ok but a bit noisy. Bed very comfortable and ample pillows.

Facilities: didn't use the fitness centre / pool however all looked great. The bar at the top level is fantastic for the views and entertaining business guests. Recommended. Staff very good up there also. Breakfast Buffet food is very extensive catering to all tastes plus the seating is quite ample.

Location: fine, short walk to MTR (Fortress Hill) so all of Hong Kong accessible via the very efficient MTR system.

Overall: If within your budget and the location is required, then this is a good hotel. Certainly no "wow" factor. They need to increase their service levels (particularly at the front desk) plus I had a few episodes within the hotel where staff were not up to scratch.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Benoit H, Front Office Manager at Harbour Grand Hong Kong, responded to this review, July 17, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Harbour Grand Hong Kong,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and taking the time to share your comments. We truly regret to hear that your experience at our hotel did not meet your expectation.

I would appreciate if you could please disclose your name and room number so that we can fully investigate the points you mentioned. This will also allow us to implement any remedial actions as this is definitely not the level of service that we aim to deliver.

In the meantime, please accept my apologies for the shortfalls you have experienced and kindly shared with us so that we can improve our services in the future.

Benoit Heumez
Front Office Manager
Email: benoith@harbourgrand.com
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Hotel fine and handy for Fortess Hill station. Good base to explore from. We didn't book breakfast and that might have been a mistake? Wandered around, couldn't quite cope with fried noodles so early in the day. Staff helpful and easy to find our way around the city on the MTR. We bought the 3 day pass.

Room Tip: We upgraded room, for a bit more space.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Moraexplorar
sydney
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have visited Hong Kong many times and normally stay at Tsim Tsa Tsui. I really enjoyed my 4 night stay at the Harbour Grand.

A short walk from Fotress Hill station. Do not be put off by the comments of the neighbourhood. Extremely safe area and interesting walking past the mechanics shops in Oil Street. Good to see a different side of Hong Kong and away from the frenetic pace of Kowloon.

I arrived at 8pm and was taken straight up the the Club reception to be checked in. After a long flight and being stuck in traffic from the airport . ( The shuttle and MTR is the best option) I was offered a drink in the Club Lounge whilst reception attending to the checking i process. Just in time for the light show !

My room had a wonderful view of Central and also Kowloon. The king size bed was extremely comfortable as were the pillows and quality of the sheets and doona. The room was spotless on arrival and for the duration of my stay. The bowl of fruit and bottled water daily was appreciated.

Breakfast was served in the Club lounge. A good selection as well as eggs made to order. The staff made me feel very welcome. I had forgotten my iphone charger and unfortunately there was no ipod docking station or charger in the room. Reception asked whether I needed to have my phone charged whislt i was having breakfast. It was also very nice that the staff remembered my name and also whether i wanted my usual evening drink. The staff were all extremely efficient, polite and made you feel special. Without exception a credit to the Hotel.

The gym was well equipped with modern equipment and overlooked the pool and the harbour. The pool and spa also a good place to relax after exploring the streets of Hong Kong island during the day. Never overcrowded . The change rooms well equipped and spotless.

Unfortunately, I did not eat at the Restaurant on the top floor adjoining the Club Lounge. However, the menu looked interesting and the nibbles and canapes provided each evening were varied and delicious.

Also thanks to Mr Gary Chu for responding to my feedback regarding the massage services personally.

Worth upgrading to a Club room. Separate lift so less waiting time.

I would definitely stay at the Harbour Grand again.

Room Tip: Worth the upgrade to a Club Harbour View room - use of separate Club lounge - afternoon tea and coc...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank triciav
Spalding, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2013

We used the MTR from Hong Kong Airport, which took about 28 minutes to our destination. Once we arrived on Hong Kong Island there was a free shuttle bus to take us to our hotel.
We arrived at the Hotel at around tea -time on the Saturday, for a five nights stay. But we were minus our luggage as we had problems with the flight, from Heathrow, which had to be changed from Cathay Pacific to British Airways, and the luggage was going to follow. The Concierge was so caring and chased our bags for us. Unfortunately, we had to wait until 8pm on the Sunday night before we got them, due to the carrier. The hotel were fantastic. Although they couldn't clothe us, they did all that they could to make us comfortable.
The hotel is beautiful. There are door men waiting on you, from the minute you set foot out of a taxi or shuttle bus to the minute you leave. The lobby of the hotel is magnificent. They were setting up for an Awards Dinner, the night we were leaving, and the whole lobby was being transformed. Even the carpet going up the stair case had been changed. The night we arrived, there was some beautiful music being played by a lady harpist at the top of the staircase.
The Hotel has 41 floors. There are different lifts to use for a different level of the hotel.
Our room was on floor 22. We overlooked the Harbour, and the view was amazing, Especially at night!
Our room was lovely. The bathroom had a huge shaped bath. A wet room with two different shower heads. All the toiletries we needed, and the air con was set just right.
The bed was huge and we could have ordered different pillows if we didn't find ours comfortable.
The Restaurant on the 41st floor was exquisite. You could not describe the views from there unless you had experienced it first hand.
We used the pool, which was on the 3rd, floor and was outside. That too was nice and fairly quite. I think its probably as we went out of season.
The Breakfast in the morning was a variety of options. Chinese, English, Indian, Continental.
The options were the same each morning, and as we only ate there five mornings we didn't find it repetitive, as we chose a different option each morning. It was a buffet style, so you could eat as much you wished.
The hotel is five minutes walk from the nearest MTR station. The stations are well sign posted and easy to follow. We bought a three day travel pass when we arrived, which we used every day and evenings, to get about, and even got money back on it when we returned the used tickets.
We also used the Metro buses. They run up and down all day and can be caught about a five minute walk from the hotel. They are great as you see so much.
You don't pay the driver. You put €2.30 in the money box per person as you get off.
There are plenty of Restaurants close to the hotel, which we tried and found to be reasonably priced. We drank bottled beer and that too is very reasonable, price wise.
There is plenty to do in Hong Kong, and we would say that a six night stay would cover most of the things you want to see. We could have done with another night as we missed the light/firework show and one of the night markets.

We did Victoria Peak. You cannot miss doing this as the views from the top are breath-taking. We did Macau Island (You will need your passport to get across to the Island). We went across on the Ferry to Kowloon. That was as cheap as chips. I think about 30p per person.
Plenty going on in Kowloon. A very busy place.

The Hotel is in a lovely area as you are not on a busy main road, but close enough to all of the amenities.
We would highly recommend this to anyone wishing to stay in Hong Kong. It oozes class. Its clean. Well managed and the staff are highly trained.

Room Tip: Ask for a room which overlooks the Harbour.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple