“Friendly staff but hotel needs improvement on details”

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin
Ranked #58 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
hong kong
“Friendly staff but hotel needs improvement on details”
Reviewed July 23, 2010

Was looking to stay at a hotel without leaving HK. Hyatt Sha Tin was a great choice.

I'd like to begin by saying that the hotel is obviously situated for the convenience of vacation seekers who want to stay at a hotel in the countryside or business people visiting offices nearby such as Tai Po Industrial Estate, Chinese University or Sha Tin. It is obviously not for those who wants to tour around Hong Kong. Statements saying the hotel is too far from the city doesn't do the hotel justice. Also, for the mountain view rooms, be prepared to be disturbed occasionally by the passing East Rail despite the very good sound insulation. I think this is something that should be expected as the hotel is so conveniently located near the University station.

That said, I requested early check in for a non-smoking room and received confirmation for 2 p.m. early check in. I attempted check in before 2p.m. and was assigned a room on the 7th floor (non-smoking floor). With two bags of belongings, I was asked to go to the room without any assistance offered to handle the luggage. I tried not to jump to any premature conclusions about the hotel. When I walked into the room, it smelled so bad that I thought it was a smoking room. So I requested a change of the room. None were immediately available and I had to wait until 3p.m. (the usual check in time).

I was then assigned to a room on 11th floor. The room was even bigger than the original one but the staff didn't tell me anything about an upgrade which I found very odd as an upgrade would have indicated that they tried to compensate for the trouble they had caused. Anyhow, the room was great, clean and spacious.

However, what the staff had forgotten was to install a DVD player at the new room that I had initially requested for my original room. I didn't bother to ask as I did not want to deal with yet another problem.

Tried the Cafe for lunch and food can be improved in every department. Quantity was abundant but quality could have been better. The Patisserie (cake shop) was excellent from food to service. The seating area could be a bit bigger.

Went for a spa session and the service and quality is very good. The spa suite was very spacious and quite comfortable. Unfortunately, the spa is not connected to the steam and jacuzzi located in the changing rooms by the swimming pool and the gym.

The gym is great for a hotel. The equipment is very new and trains all the major muscle groups. The staff were again very friendly and helpful.

After closure of the pool for 2 days during the typhoon Chuntha and thunderstorm warnings, finally checked it out on the morning before my departure. The changing room's jacuzzi was broken down for who knows how long and the changing room in general was not of 5 star quality. When I arrived at the swimming pool, I asked for water and was told by the friendly lifeguard that it was only available back in the changing room 1 floor above the pool in a water dispensing machine?!?! The outdoor bar area by the pool was still under ongoing renovation.

So I laid down on the sun bed for about 10 minutes and received about 10 mosquito bites. There seemed to be no or seriously lacking mosquito control measures by the pool. The pool area was the most unacceptable part of the hotel.

While taking a shower in my room after the dip at around 1:45p.m., I received a call from reception asking when I was going to check out. I was freezing as I was in the middle of a shower and had to answer the call at the toilet. I was left a bit puzzled as I specifically requested 2p.m. check out at the time I checked into the hotel. The receptionist then put me on hold to check availability which made sure I remained freezing. At the end, she confirmed 2p.m. check out was available. So, much trouble was caused to the guest but could have been absolutely avoided.

Based on the aforesaid, I think there are pros and cons to this hotel with the former outweighing the latter. I believe the friendly staff has to do a lot with this which leaves me to conclude that the problems I had experienced are at the management level and not how the general staff have poorly executed service of the guests.

I will be sure to revisit the Patisserie.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed July 19, 2010

We recently stayed at this hotel for our vacation in Hong Kong. My husband and I were impressed by the knowledgeable staff who worked to meet all our needs. The room was very large and the bathroom was clean and tidy. We were able to use the pool everyday. It was a very peaceful hotel to stay at and we would recommend the hotel to everyone. Our only complaint would be the location. It is located a little bit far away from all the main attractions in Hong Kong. But with the MTR located right by the hotel, you can hop on the metro and go anywhere quite quickly.

So if you don't mind a hotel that is a little out of the way...you will enjoy this Hyatt Regency.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dakar, Senegal
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We selected this hotel as we got a very good deal during the New year and also because we liked the rooms. We knew that the hotel was located outside the city centre. We went to the Hyatt Regency counter at the airport and we were taken in a bus to the hotel. It took us about 45 mins to get to the hotel. There was actually a queue at the reception! We finally got our room and it had a nice view. The rooms were spacious and the bed was very comfortable. There is a metro station right next to the hotel and although the hotel is not located in the centre of the city, we did not have any major problems. However, the metros close at 2300 hrs and after that we had to take taxis back to the hotel - and they were quite expensive.

The breakfast was not so bad - though it was kind of repetitive. The staff were ok - some quite impersonal. We also ordered room service and the food was quite good.

We will stay at this hotel again - although location is a bit of a problem, esp. if you travel during the night.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Nomad007700
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed July 10, 2010

I used to go to school at the university next door, and knew full well how far it is from the heart of Hong Kong. I was there for a conference and needed to stay within a budget. I was very happy with the stay in almost all regards. The staff were pleasant, always helpful either in phone or in person, the food outlets were good, the spa was decent, and the whole hotel is brand new sitting next to the University station on the MTR (formerly KCR). I'm vegetarian, and that's hard to do in Hong Kong. The staff in the main cafe and in room service were completely understanding and helpful. The only complaints I had were the noisy construction next to the pleasant pool (I brought ear plugs and an iPod to survive), no automatic free water offered for pool guests, and the pillows. They were too soft for me and I couldn't sleep well, despite the lovely room and beds. The hotel is in the middle of nowhere, but it was packed on all occasions and I'm sure it's doing quite well.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
Heidelberg, Germany
Reviewed July 9, 2010

we got this hotel on the last minute before Chinese New Year. The hotel is a bit far from the main attractions, but even though it was worth.

Hyatt is Hyatt, don't need to say much: we got an upgrade, huge room, great staff. I highly recommend try their room service. Good food and, not expensive for Hyatt standard.

I will definitely stay in that hotel when I travel back to HK.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Columbia, South Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2010

The Hyatt Regency is located pretty much on University Station (Blue Line). If you look at a map of the MTR, you should see that this is NOT in downtown Hong Kong. It was about 30-40 minutes to go University Station to TST via the Blue -> Purple Lines. Not the best place to be if you want to experience everything in Kowloon or Hong Kong Island.

That said, this hotel was every I needed it to be and more for a visit to CUHK. The staff was very professional and helpful with travel arrangements, suggestions on places to go and accommodating all of my needs. Breakfast in the morning had a good mix of traditional foods as well as Western options. Fitness set was immaculate and well staffed. I definitely felt like I had my own private fitness club.

The rooms are as they look on the website. Very modern with a comfortable bed with plenty of space to spread out. There were two of us in a King room and we were able to survive a week without getting in each others way. The rooms are spacious by Hong Kong standards.

Bathroom had 1 sink with some counter space, a soaking whirlpool tub, a rainfall shower with massage head and a separated toilet area. Housekeeping was superb with water service in the evening. Room service was solid.

If you need to be in the Sha Tin area, this is the place you should stay.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Lahaina Hawaii
Reviewed July 1, 2010

This was the second hotel on our HK / Macau trip. Overall loved the hotel and originally thought it would be nice to be "out of the city" but wish we had stayed longer at Hyatt TST. The hotel itself was great and the actual room was more plush than TST, it was just a little farther that we thought it would be. Don't get me wrong, it's very convenient to the Subway, the station is only a five minute walk out of the hotel and you can't get lost. It just takes about 45 minutes to get to TST and almost an hour to HK island. Can't fault anything about the hotel though. Top notch! The only reason I wouldn't recommend is the location. Sorry :( By the way.. The buffet at dinner is awesome!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple