“So glad I treated myself!”

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin
Ranked #59 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Qingdao, China
“So glad I treated myself!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

I stayed one night as a personal get-away. It was above my expectations. The hotel staff were very accommodating, giving me an upgrade when there were no rooms of what I had paid for available. The room was spacious, including nice amenities. The breakfast buffet was also well worth the cost. It was easy to navigate from the University stop on the KCR. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank SpotsandShots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (296)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I booked this room with hotel points and chose to stay here only because my points account could not afford a location closer to the city. However I was not disappointed. I received a large room with a king-size bed facing the surrounding hillside. The room itself was quite comfortable and the bathtub was great for an evening soak. The buffet breakfast is expensive but the quality of food was worth the price. I did not try the outdoor pool but it looked nice. Overall the hotel feels quite new and well-appointed. The only downside might be location, which is far away from Hong Kong island (about 30-60 minutes by taxi), though the hotel conveniently sits just on top of the University subway station. On the other hand, the location is much more quiet and peaceful than the city and might be just the break you need from the Hong Kong concrete jungle.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the hills have a modest amount of train noise, but are still quiet enough even for...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank jrh825
Wilson L, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear jrh825,

Thanks for the great review sharing your feelings and experience about your stay. Considered as one of the best resort hotels in Hong Kong, we are very proud of our spacious rooms and unique location. Next time when you visit, be assure to stay in our Harbour View Room featuring calming views of the Tolo harbor that you will discover another beautiful side of Hong Kong. Look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Best regards,

Wilson Lee
Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

From booking in to ordering the room service I found very little to complain about this hotel. The rooms are very clean and spacious with a nice standard specification. Plenty of TV channels if that's what you want or a big luxurious bed, I picked the bed and slept like a log. This is a bit of a boring review as there is nothing to complain about and I will stay here again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank 762mickb
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I stayed in this hotel as I was on a business trip. The hotel's location is not ideal if you want to see attractions in Hongkong as it is not close to everything a tourist would like to see.
I stayed in a Harbour view room and it was amazing, very spacious room and clean. Food was excellent and the Club Lounge has the friendliest staff in the hotel. I would definitely recommend this hotel if you have business meetings in the area and you want a comfortable place to stay. Internet connection has fast connections

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed March 23, 2014

My recent stay was the second time I stayed at this hotel within 6 months and not much has changed; clean spacious rooms and below-average service for a Hyatt Regency.

The location has been mentioned a few times already and yes, it is not close to everything a tourist wants to see when visiting Hong Kong (one of the busiest hubs in Hong Kong is Mongkok and that is about a 20 minute train ride away) but if you want a decent size room at a reasonable price, then compromises will have to be made.

The rooms I have stayed in are really spacious with nice natural lighting coming from the windows. There were adequate power points (important for me, maybe not to others) and fast internet. Beds and floors were clean so there are no complaints about the rooms themselves.

The Club Lounge had a nice view of Tolo Harbour and was always stocked with snacks and drinks. The staff looking after the Lounge were probably the only friendly staff in the premise.

Now the not so good, starting with service. When checking in, the male staff at Reception grumpily did the usual process and handed me the keycard afterwards. There was no explanation of anything, i.e. the correct set of elevators I had to take; internet access code, etc. Because of his lack of communication, I had to pay for breakfasts that I was told were complimentary (Diamond Member benefit). Almost all the staff in the hotel looked miserable (exception being the Club Lounge staff) and had no intention of helping.

The other unfortunate issue during my stay was that I was there over a Friday and weekend, and it seems this was a popular hotel for the locals to hold weddings. I was down the hall from a party that had booked a room for the ceremonies and games, so 8am in the morning, there was just a lot of loud screaming and laughing, and this carried on for about 2 hours. Then down at the lobby, it is packed with brides and grooms and photographers. I am happy for the brides and grooms but wish the hotel could somehow control this chaos so it minimises the disturbances to the guest.

Despite my annoyances, I will most likely return, probably not on a weekend though.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank Alan L
Shenzhen, China
Reviewed March 21, 2014

truly excellent hotel and Hyatt service for a small price ! located is a little bit poor as it far from everything. We had to travel from the airport to Shatin with the Hyatt limo, experience was ok. Suites are big and spacious. Thank you !!

Room Tip: go for floor 23 suite 02, it is a corner suite, simply awesome
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mark R
Wilson L, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Sha Tin, responded to this review, April 6, 2014
Dear Mark R

Thanks for the great review sharing your feelings and experience about your stay. We are glad that you enjoyed staying with us and loved our suites. Hope to see you again soon.

Best regards,

Wilson Lee
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed March 19, 2014 via mobile

Am surprised at my less than stellar stay here, given all the glowing reviews. Stayed with my son for 4 nights for his wushu competition, held at Ma On Shan.

Location is the first reason why I would not recommend staying here unless you have business to attend to at the nearby University. The hotel is surrounded by..... Nothing! There is the mtr station, a 7-11 and a Maxim restaurant. That's it. I'm used to staying at Causeway Bay where everything is within a 5minute walk. Here, you have to take a cab or mtr to do anything. The cab to tsim tsa tshui is $140 for 30minutes. Airport is $300 for 45minutes.

Service was uniformly excellent. However housekeeping is a major weak point here. The bedside electrical plug was located rather low to the ground. Hence i had to go on my knees. Lo and behold, I found an old piece of melon right under the bed. I'd just checked in and unpacked. Further looking at the carpet yielded lots of hair and some crusty chocolate stuff. I called guest services. Phyllis the duty manager was super efficient and accommodating. Within 20minutes she moved me to the most basic suite.

The suite was indeed nice but plagued by the same housekeeping issues. Again I found a glittering green gem under the bed. I did not complain as it wasn't food and I really didnt want to unpack and repack again. During my 4 nights here, the super nice lady who cleaned my room missed a piece of trash n the corner of the bathroom. She also missed the dustballs gathering in the bathroom sconce lights. When I was going to hang my towel on the shower wall, I found out the surface along the top of the shower and toilet wall was dusty. The rod for the clothes hangers was similarly covered with dustballs. The door to the fridge has been loose on the hinge as well.

It really is too bad since service was uniformly friendly and professional.

Hongkong has so many hotels that I cannot imagine why a tourist would stay here. I stayed at Hyatt Sha Tin only because of the wushu competition at Ma On Shan. Coupled with the cleanliness issue, I don't think I will be staying here again.

• Stayed March 2014