“Nice Little Spot in Soho”
Review of Portobello

Portobello
Ranked #6,096 of 10,582 Restaurants in Hong Kong
Cuisines: British
Neighborhood: Central
Neighborhood: Central
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Out for drinks one night in Soho and decided to try the place out. The location couldn't be any better, literally about 10 steps away from the Mid-Levels escalators. So naturally the atmosphere around the area and inside as well was great. From the outside it looks more like a cafe, with a large cake selection right at the front. We had a few drinks and decided to try the food menu. The menu doesn't have the largest selection but I wasn't really expecting it to. I believe lots of the food off the menu is actually prepared and cooked at a restaurant across the street. We tried one of the pizza's and it was surprisingly really good. The waitress was friendly even though we had to get her attention a few times to place our orders. Will be back again for sure!

1  Thank Bryan C

Reviewed May 6, 2013 via mobile

A small cozy coffee house / bar in Soho just a few steps away from the Mid Levels Escalator. Ideal spot for coffee and cakes, pancakes or a light meal. Small cafe tables, relaxed atmosphere in this trendy area popular with expats.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

It's a good place to stop for coffee and cakes. This place serves meals for lunch/dinner as well, but somehow with the cakes display at the front of the restaurant, I am used to call this place as patisserie. I am very comfortable coming to this place to have coffee and snacks, no need to feel guilty entering to restaurant just looking at the coffee list and get unwelcomed look...

The first cake attracted my attention is the Toffee Bonoffee cake. Every time I come to this place, this banoffi is always my favorite.

I should say the staff is friendly. It's one of my favorite places for coffee in Central areas.

Reviewed October 16, 2012

We love Portobello, it’s perfect for breakfast, brunch or afternoon tea (they also do dinner). The menu is great (breakfast, sandwiches, crepes, waffles, cakes…) and the décor is very “Portobello, London”. Tables are very small but this is what makes the place special. It’s in the middle of Soho so the atmosphere outside is great also.

Cakes are amazing and well displayed so sometimes it’s difficult to choose as they all look rich and delicious.

One thing that was peculiar on a recent visit was the chocolate truffle cake. It was a chocolate cake with real truffle inside. Not chocolate truffle but real truffle. Having never seen this before, let alone tasted it (unfortunately for us the taste was not good), we expressed our surprise at this dish to one of the girls working there but we were told that “customers like it”. Still unconvinced.

Apart from the chocolate truffle cake, Portobello is a special place!

Reviewed February 7, 2012

We picked Portobello for our tea time. It was packed and people were waiting, at times, to get a table.

Its a nice place to have tea and cakes. We did not try the coffee so I do not know much about that...

The apple tart was devine so I ordered a lemon tart as well....

Service was normal: quick without smiling. We have been to many cafes in Hong Kong. Smiling is not fashionable but you can get used to it. I am sure it is nothing personal.