The Empire Hotel Hong Kong - Causeway Bay
The Peninsula Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
$584
The Peninsula
  • Pool
The Royal Garden(Hong Kong)
$186
$151
Agoda.com
$239
$201
  • Pool
Cordis, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
$206
$510
$380
Trip.com
  • Restaurant
The Langham, Hong Kong(Hong Kong)
$280
$233
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong(Hong Kong)(Great Value!)
$111
$71
Hotel Direct
  • Restaurant
All reviewstin haucauseway bayfruit stallsmtr stationsmall hotelreplenished dailyhotel rooms aretram stopstayed for nightsairport shuttledecent sizestaying at this hotelhk hotelswan chaihandy phonemini barluggage
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 25, 2013

I love it when you don't expect much & it exceeds your expectations... this was my experience at Empire Hotel in Causeway Bay. First of all, the location is not really in the heart of Causeway Bay, it's actually located in Tin Hau which is one metro stop away. Luckily, the nearest subway station is a brisk one block walk away or you can choose to take a taxi which costs less than HK$20 one way to CWB. The pros about the location is that it's quieter & not as rowdy, but expect to rely on public transport or walk a distance to your destination.

Upon entering the modern & sleek lobby, the staff at the front desk was very friendly & provided quick check-in service which was great after a long days travel. The concierge was able to offer accurate directions & helpful in ordering a taxi the following day when I was in a rush. The room was very spacious, beyond my imagination after staying at so many tiny boutique hotels in my frequent travels to Hong Kong. I read in other reviews about the "magic glass" function & had to test it for myself, what a wonderful design it is! With a switch of a button, you have privacy when/if you need it in the bathroom. Being a 4 star hotel, the necessities were provided such as: robes, slippers, toiletries, safe, laundry service, room service, etc. With 3 elevators & a key card access required to enter your floor, I felt very safe. The modern TV was equipped with games for families traveling with children, as well as, remote access: your bill, the weather, the hotel services. I requested a room on a higher level & got a peek-a-view of the HK harbor in the morning. The breakfast buffet that was included in my package had a very good selection of western & Chinese cuisine. There is also free access to the Empire Lounge on the 30th floor which had an even more spectacular view of Victoria Park & the waterfront, as well as, offer business services & snacks/drinks throughout the day/evening. The hotel has their own promotion & I would like to go back next time to try their spa service which all the high-tech imported equipments they've advertised. WIFI was also included in the rate which is an additional savings! The only drawback I would mention is that the king size bed was a connection of two twins, so it was not the most comfortable as I had to sleep on either side to avoid the center divider.

Overall, I am VERY pleased with my stay at this hotel & would recommend it to travelers who are looking for a reasonably priced hotel with good service on Hong Kong island. BTW, there's a fabulous dessert place around the corner that serves excellent shaved ice & mango tapioca!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Patriciaychou
Reviewed April 4, 2013

The hotel looks modern. It is located Causeway Bay, which is convenient. A bit far away from Central (need the tram, taxi or metro). Plenty of restaurants within walking distance. Close to Victoria park. Many people complain about the room size. Maybe I have been lucky, but my room had a reasonable size (a bit narrow) and it was very comfortable. Excellent king bed, good bathroom with tub. The window view was straight to old ugly buildings. (not the best view of Hong Kong). Internet is free. Breakfast was included, but average.

Room Tip: make sure the room you get is not too small
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 30, 2013

I had a last minute trip to HK. Unfortunately, that meant most hotels with rooms at decent prices did not have rooms available. I knew that I had to pick a hotel in an area that did not include TST or Central. I did find some hotels near Sheung Wan but they seemed to be quite a distance from the MTR. I then started looking at hotels in the Causeway Bay area and found this hotel.

The hotel is near the Tin Hau entrance to the MTR. To get to the MTR station, exit the hotel, make a left, as soon as you get to the end of that block, make another left and walk straight for about 5 minutes. The hotel is actually one stop away from the Causeway Bay area. The surrounding area has some stores such as 7-11 and restaurants. If you are expecting to find shops of Causeway Bay outside the hotel, you will be disappointed.

I found service at hotel was good. Everyone was helpful and attentive from the people at the front-desk to the porter.

The elevators in the hotel are tiny and quite often it will be packed to capacity. You do have to scan your key card to use the elevator so that is a nice security measure.

The rooms are very clean and tiny. I wish they were bigger but you can't expect too much space in HK. I see that there is much talk about the Magic Glass but I didn't really care for it one way or the other.

The shower and toilet are in one area. What I don't like about this set up is that when you shower, water can spill over into the are with the toilet if you are not careful.

The bed was comfortable and I did make good use of the writing desk in the room. The room also had some items that you can purchase such as an AC converter from US/EU to HK. There was also a mini-bar in the room.

When I was checking out the hotel staff did assist me in getting a cab and making sure the cab driver understood my destination.

Overall I would recommend this hotel with a few caveats:

- Understand that you will have to take the MTR to get to the more lively places of HK. If you are expecting a view of the Harbour, you will be disappointed.
- Understand that the rooms in this hotel are small.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 7, 2013

The room we stayed was compact yet comfortable, it was an enjoyable 2nights stay. The room was well-configured to meet guests needs in terms of storage space. An interesting touch in the room is the 'Magic Glass" panel that separates the shower room & the bedroom. You can choose to on the "Magic Glass" & watch the playback from the television from the other side or leave it off for a private time alone.

Breakfast is not available, wifi is not included in the rate that we paid & the cable for the internet is faulty. To me, that's not value-for-money.

The overall experience was pleasant, however I might consider to return,,

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 2, 2013

I stayed at the hotel when I first arrived in China. The service at the hotel was very good. Despite being a smaller room, it was very comfortable. As it was my first stop as I made my way to the mainland, it made for a very warm welcome.

When I needed a taxi, a bellman went all the way down the block to get one for me. He was the best bellman I have ever had the privilege to encounter.

The price was really good and cheaper by Hong Kong standards than many with the same level of service. The drawback was wired internet that was not necessarily included in the price.

Room Tip: Given the location of the hotel, higher floors facing the bay provide the best views.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo