“Nice Hotel”

The Empire Hotel Hong Kong - Causeway Bay
Ranked #160 of 725 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

I got it in a cheap price 680HKD because I book the room at wotif.com,

I got a room at 29 floor with water view, all new and modern, with mini bar, safe, the staff was very helpful,

The lift is too dark, hard to see the Flore number,
In no WiFi internet you need to use a cable, so I could not connect my iPhone and my tablet, lucky I got my laptop with me,
I couldn't get to hook to the internet again I called to the staff to help me out, after wile they also could not help me so they gave me Vodafone cellular modem,
Internet cost 100HKD per our or 120 HKD per 24 Hours,
They did not charge me on the end because of the troubles I got,

The location is great near subway just we walking distance and many takeaway shops,

Reviewed January 14, 2013

The best thing about this hotel is that it is surrounded by delicious local eateries and apparently the area is well known among the locals for food. The rooms are small but that is only to be expected from a a Hong Kong hotel, and we managed to get a good rate which included free wifi. It is also conveniently located a MTR stop away from Causeway Bay station. The other downside is that there was construction on the street nearby and unfortunately being 8 floors up wasn't enough to filter out the sound. But overall I had a positive experience and I would stay here again!

Room Tip: Try getting a room higher up.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank s_phung
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Booked this hotel with corporate rates, through a friend's recommendation.

Stayed 4 nights over Christmas 2012, and we did NOT like it.

Here is why.

Room
- tiny, tiny room (disguised with its very high ceilings)
- barely any room to walk around the bed
- shower is so small, you can barely close the door
- very weak toilet flush
- MAGIC GLASS did not work. Called to complain, but nothing was done about it
- bathroom glass wall is so thin, you cannot do your business inside without the person outside hearing everything
- TV remote does not work
- very limited TV channel selection (mostly free to air TV)
- blanket is so thin, you might as well use a bedsheet

Noise
- construction across the road, starting from 9am every day
- walls are so thin, you can hear the doors banging next door and loud guests chattering or coughing in the toilet next door

Non-Smoking ?
- the room stank of smoke (probably why they put a diffuser in the small corridor outside)
- even though we chose a non smoking room, the hotel was dumb enough to place an ash tray just outside our door. So every guest on our floor (waiting for the elevator) will smoke outside our room, and it will make our room smell of smoke. Really stupid.

Elevators
- only three small elevators to service 30 floors? expect to wait up to 5 minutes each trip up/down
- so dark inside the elevator, it is hard to see which buttons to press
- access card reader is problematic, as you really need to give it a few tries before you can press the button. Unfortunatey the door closes very fast and you will likely miss your floor if you're not fast enough

Reception / Bell Boys
- not friend, not helpful
- bell boys spend half their time hiding outside, talking on their mobile phones rather than helping with the luggage or opening doors or helping guests catch a cab

Cleaning
- no one came to clean on Christmas Day. Even though we turned on the Cleaning Light Switch, and told Reception (twice).

Club Room
- very limited selection of evening canape (2 trays of light snacks, either crab cakes or one choice of dim sum)
- the staff do not help get you any drinks. The two of them just sit behind the counter, pretending to look at the computer screen when they see you getting food yourself.
- even though evening canape was from 6pm to 8:30pm, the wine finished at 730pm and they did not bother to get a new bottle. They checked it was empty, talked to each other then decided to leave the empty bottle on the counter

Morning Breakfast
- very bad food. Don't even bother, unless you get it for free

WIFI
- no free wifi, unless you are at the club room

Lack of Facilities
- no gym, no pool

Only plus point - Location
- it's about a 7 minute walk to Tin Hau MTR, which is one stop from Causeway Bay
- lots of convenience shops nearby
- lots of dessert shops nearby, including Ching Ching Dessert (supposedly well known)

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MacGrumpy
Reviewed December 22, 2012

This is my second stay in this hotel, I must say, I was a little more impressed this time round. The previous time, my major gripe was the hotel staff, but I was greeted in and out of the hotel this stay, and they certainly did try to make me feel at home, at least I didn't feel overlooked.

Also, the previous time, I was given a corner room- a huge one to boot. I remember the room was so huge (by HK standards), that I could literally do flips! As it turns out, all their rooms should be of a decent size, my room (non-corner) was big and comfortable this time, came with daily complimentary bottled water, miniature toiletries (which I didn't use anyway), plushy pillows and bed, and well-mounted flat screen TV. A nice gesture from the hotel- the staff had plugged in a humidifier along the corridors, a plus point since it can be rather dry in HK in December.

Since I had just moved from Kowloon Hotel (I was there for work), I certainly appreciated the wooden floors in the room, because the old, carpeted rooms in K reeked of a musky stench, it lingered the few days I was there. I figured that has got to do with the carpeted floors within the room. Similarly, I was thankful for odour/smell-free towels.

There was a day when some renovation works were ongoing, not an issue if you are out most of the time, anyway the workers would have left by say, 6 in the evening? The walls must have been fully soundproofed, because the TV can be rather loud the moment you turn it on, yet I don't hear anything at all from my neighbours next door.

I opted to not take the hotel's airport transfer this time, had originally wanted to hop onto a taxi, and then get to the airport via the airport express. However, I learned the hard way that it isn't easy to get a cab anywhere near the hotel (especially if you happen to be lugging your luggages with you), so you might want to get the hotel staff to get a taxi for you. If you are not in a hurry to get to the airport, apparently the free airport express shuttle (which drops you off at the airport express, HK station) stops right opposite the hotel every 20 minutes, the hotel doesn't have the shuttle's time schedule though, so be prepared to wait at least a good 20 minutes.

Would I stay at the hotel again? Sure, the room rates are reasonable, amd the hotel is relatively close (just a stop via MTR, hotel is at Tin Hau station) to Causeway Bay, yet you can avoid the CB crowd. Thanks to a local friend who brought me around, I managed to track down a few good restaurants/ eateries nearby, just minutes away from the hotel (Feel free to send me a message should you need some recs!).

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kryptful
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The room size is average for HK hotel with window.
The bed are comfortable. Transparent bathroom with magic glass is not suitable for friend stay together.

This is a business hotel but you need to pay to use wifi.(…come on small guest house is still got free wifi)
Not an ideal for traveling with no wifi for me at all.

The staffs not so friendly not even tell me where is the restaurant for breakfast.
I need to figure out by the lift stop at the restaurant floor.
Breakfasts are ok.

The location is good for me but a bit far from causeway bay station.
A lot of restaurant along the street-very convenient to eat.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 12, 2012

It is a hotel with a modern feel and look.

The room (double bed, City-View) was small - as to be expected of rooms in HK. I liked the way the bathroom had frosted glass instead of walls and it gave the room an open, space-efficient feel.

Some parts I didn't like - there was no shower gel in the dispenser (only two bottles of shampoo and shower gel), the door to the bathroom was designed such that there was little space to move when opening or closing the door. The bathroom was also raised above the rest of the room so I had to be quite careful stepping into and out of it in case I tripped and fell.

The usual amenities - toothpaste, shaver etc., small fridge, TV, work area were available. I had complimentary wired internet (had to call the reception to bring me the cable).

(If you like security, then fyi access to rooms/upper floors requires tapping of room card key in the lift.)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in December after coming across an amazing deal online. I was pleasantly surprised by how modern it was. The bathroom was very clean and the beds were extremely comfortable. We had a large LCD tv that had a friendly welcome message. The room was not the most spacious, but given it's Hong Kong it was acceptable. As for location, it's a few minutes walk from Tin Hau MTR station which is just one station away from the larger and busier Causeway Bay area. At night it can look a little creepy because it's not really located in the most convenient places. Staff were generally friendly making check-in and check-out a breeze. Overall, it was a very clean and modern room which I really liked. But next time I'd probably stay at a closer hotel to the larger cities.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends