“Clean & great-value hotel in HK”

Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong
Ranked #73 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
“Clean & great-value hotel in HK”
Reviewed May 13, 2014

The hotel is located within 7 mins walk from Olympic MTR and 13 mins walk from Mongkok MTR Stations. The room is small (Hong Kong's standard) but very clean and looks new. There is a taxi stand right at the lobby and you can easily find 24-hr McD, convenience stores, and eateries just across the street. Hotel provides free shuttle bus services to Kowloon Airport express train station and some nearby places. The only not-so-good thing about the stay was that there was a strong mushy/moldy smell - suspect it's from the carpet in the room. The smell didn't go away even after 3 days of stay.

Room Tip: The bathroom has translucent glass walls, may not comfortable for some guests if you are not travell...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank KSKong

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed May 13, 2014

This is not a great hotel, neither is it a bad hotel. I was in Hong Kong for a business trip of 4 days. The room was relatively clean and comfortable, although if you are a tall person, your feet will definitely hang off the end of the bed! My only complaint (and that of my business partner who stayed in the same hotel) is that the hot water is not hot! You can shower with no cold water on and you will still want the water hotter.

The staff were hospitable and approachable, although the hotel bus driver never seemed to have a good day and was always surly. Special mention to Stephanie who delivered outstanding customer service at all times!

Meals in the restaurant were average and you find much better fare if you venture out onto the streets. Our favourite place to eat was at a street vendor on the walk to Mongkok. They didn't open until evening, but had the best dumplings I've ever tasted.

This is an average hotel in an average location for an average price. If you set your expectations any higher than that, you will be disappointed. Average suited me just fine and I would be happy to stay hear again next time I'm in Hong Kong.

Room Tip: The lifts are quite slow, so pick a room around the 11th floor or so for best use of the lifts and s...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
DorsettMongkok, General Manager at Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 18, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us.

We are sorry for the bed issue that you encountered. On your next visit, please approach our Housekeeping team for a bed extension arrangement, this service is available to ensure our guests a better sleeping experience.

Your comment on the hot water is also noted. Please rest assured that our Engineering team has taken necessary action to address this issue, we apology for the inconvenience caused.

Your kind compliment to Stephanie is much appreciated. At the same time, we have also highlighted your comment on the bus driver to the bus company to ensure friendly and thoughtful services to be provided to our guests at all time.

We truly hope to welcome you back very soon for a promising stay.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Hotel provides shuttle bus from Kowloon to hotel straight to the doorstep. The driver seems like either he don't like Singaporean or he's just having a bad day on that day (I arrived on 6th May 14, morning). He asked for an official documents to prove that we booked this hotel, so I gave him the official receipt. He disregard my receipt and said that this bus is not going to the hotel I'm staying, showing me the Dorsett blue card which they gave to their guests. Funny thing is the receipt had the Dorsett logo and hotel address printed on it. I tried to argue with him in English and Chinese because I don't speak Cantonese and he don't understand both the languages. After a short argument, he unwillingly let us get on board the mini bus and threw my luggage which I'm most unhappy about. The whole journey to the hotel he was scolding us in Cantonese.
Upon reaching the hotel, he's very friendly to the 2 guests who were also on the bus with us and he opened the door for them and ignoring us and even closed the door behind him and complained to the hotel manager.
So, I made a woohas in the hotel like a mad woman. I haven't even started enjoying my holidays which I've paid for and this guy ruined my whole day just like that.
I showed the manager the official receipt of the hotel and demanded the driver to say sorry, at least. But, the arrogant driver just walked away as if nothing happened. In the end, nothing is done. I don't get a apology from the driver and the hotel just let the matter rest like that.
Advice to all, please get an official receipt from the hotel as I realized after booking, they just send an email on the details and no receipt. If I show the email to the driver, I think I can forget about getting on the bus.

I get the hotel personnel to get me a taxi when we're going to the airport. He got me one but the taxi driver wasn't told where we are going. And, worst thing was the taxi driver do not know how to go to the AIRPORT! GRRRRR!!! He almost go the wrong direction as he's not looking at the road signs on the road! By reading the arrows and with the airplane logos on the signs, we lead him the way -.- ! Thank god we left the hotel early to the airport else we might have missed our flight.
Kindly be more considerate to the guests, because we are foreign to your country and I can say I'm lucky that I managed to reach my destination safe and sound.
In fact, the hotel room is good and they provide you a cell phone to bring around, so buying a prepaid sim-card is unnecessary. It's a good stay for me.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HuiTing1407
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us. We regret to learn about your unpleasant experience during your stay.

While we appreciate your kind understanding that we would like to inform you that the bus drivers are required to review the guest’s confirmation document to ensure complimentary service is exclusively for our hotel’s guests only, please rest assured that we have highlighted your comment on the attitude of the bus driver to the bus company to ensure friendly and thoughtful services to be provided to our guests at all times.

With regards to the taxi issue we have reminded our Guest Services team to always reconfirm with the taxi drivers our guest’s destination to prevent the same thing from happening again.

While we regret for all the inconvenience caused to you, we are happy to know that you appreciate our complimentary smart phone. I hope to have the chance to welcoming you back again in the near future.
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

Stayed here for a week and a half with my partner. Rooms were appropriate size for two people, comfortable bed and very clean. Breakfast was good and staff and concierge very friendly and helpful. My partner and I used the free daily shuttle bus most days which was great. Overall had a pleasant stay and would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Xanth4
Robina, Australia
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The Dorsett Mongkok. We travelled as two male friends sharing a "cool" room that was quite small at 18 sq mtrs. The room was adequate but small, OK for for a few days stay but afforded no privacy.
The hotel provides an valued shuttle bus service to railway stations and shopping malls which was greatly appreciated otherwise it was necessary to travel to either Mongkok or Olympic station by foot (10 mins and 8 minutes respectively)
Close by are local and western eateries especially MacDonalds x 24 hours.
Reception staff helpful but always busy so Concierge was of great assistance. A good hotel if not being near shopping areas is your need.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on high floor and at the back of the building. It will be a lot quieter and gave fr...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
DorsettMongkok, General Manager at Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for staying with us.

Your comment regarding the room size has been noted. We offer 5 types of rooms in different sizes to suit a wide range of travelling preferences. On your next visit, you may consider staying in our suite room measuring 42 sq.m. which comes with a spacious separated bathroom and a living room for a more relaxing experience.

Glad to know that you were pleased with our hospitality. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future.

Stayed from 11/4 to 15/4 with family of 5 in family room
Room booked through booking.com three months back and got a very good rate
Though not satisfied with some visa requirements from the hotel due to third party bookings
Apart from that
The hotel chekin and checkout are very fast / gave us a upper floor city view clean and good
Family room 2317 / with all amenities like cofee maker / daily room makeups / no smoking hotel /
Hotel is centrally located / daily hourly shuttle bus service to 4 important places /
Being muslims we had 2 halal food outlets nearby / 24 hrs mac donalds just opposite / 711 and watsons and fruit shops nearby
Mangkok mtr / olympia mtr / ladies market / night markets / canton road luxury malls / china ferry terminal / kowloon jumma mosque / local ferry service are near by and easily accessible through shuttle bus
Strongly recomends this hotel for muslim family visit with childrens and halal foods at roti king and adults can leave children at hotel for short outings as hotel is in good safe and secured place
Advised to book directly with the hotel to avail free wifi and welcome gifts for guest
Hotel staff are courteous and ready to help with maps books etc

Room Tip: Ask for top floor and chek bathroom first
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank ZakirHussainHM
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 11, 2014

Stayed from 30 April 2014 to 5 May 2014 at Room 1212. Concierge and Receptionist staff were very pleasant and helpful.Very prompt daily housekeeping from the housekeeping staff.
Bathroom a bit small(kind of expected in land scare Hong Kong). Twin beds that we had feels a bit flimsy,as they seems to shift to one side when I seat around the edge.

Special thanks to Mr Ray (one of the Concierge working around 4pm++ on 5 May 2014) - who helped us with getting a taxi in the rain and even covered us with umbrellas,while we load our stuff on the taxi. My partner and I really appreciate the effort. Thank you, Mr Ray!

The surrounding area is very peaceful, compare to other busy streets in other parts of Hong Kong.Nearby shops includes 24hour MacDonald,7-eleven, supermarket, food center and market, 3 bakeries and few eating places (Roasted duck / chicken /others).

Minor issues-
- You can try talk to the staff in English,although Cantonese is more commonly used when they reply.
-There is a HK$12 (USD1.6) daily service charge for the free wifi in rooms(booked through the hotel's website directly). Didn't use in the end.
- A bit far from MRT, need 5 minutes walk. No problem for me and my partner.

Overall - My partner and I enjoy the trip very much. Excellent choice for Hotel. Recommended. Will go for this hotel again when we visit next time.

Room Tip: Maybe try to get a normal bed for two, instead asking for twin beds.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple