“Very Impressed!”

Ranked #73 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
chiang mai, thailand
“Very Impressed!”
Reviewed April 11, 2011

I stayed at the cosmo for one night with a friend. We were going to Macau the next day and were just looking for a nice place to crash after traveling. We were at first annoyed with them because they have a shuttle that picks you up for free but when it got to us, it was full :( They told us we could wait two hours or get a taxi- so pretty much- you're on your own! So, we grabbed a taxi and went to the cosmo. When we got to our room, the anger went away because we were so impressed. It was clean, modern, and very fresh. We really enjoyed our stay. I cannot comment on location because we weren't there long enough but if an MTR isn't within walking distance, I wouldn't stay because all you do in hong kong is WALK!! :)

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kimgNJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (833)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed April 11, 2011

Relatively new hotel located quite a distance from the nearest MTR station and shopping centre (approx. 10+ minutes walk). The hotel does offer free shuttle bus to Mongkok and Tsim Sha Tsui, so that's a plus. Pleasant and helpful hotel staff. Was turned off by the the strong "fragrance" in the hotel lobby. What I did not expect was the extremely TINY rooms! There's literally no space for one to maneuver around at all...let alone to open up a suitcase. Cleanliness is average, could be better. The beds are quite comfy. There are not many decent restaurants around. For the price they charge, I guess it's considered decent. However, if given a choice, I would not stay here the next time we visit in light of the above.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank chrislo222
CosmoHotelMongkok, General Manager at Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong, responded to this review, June 3, 2011
Cosmo Mongkok is located only 4 mins on foot from the nearest Olympics subway station, if a leisure ride to walking is preferred, we also offer free shuttle bus to Mongkok subway station. Upscale restaurants are available in Mongkok Langham Place Mall, Elements Mall (atop Kowloon subway station) and along Canton Road in Tsimshatsui. All these places are accessible through our complimentary shuttle bus. Thanks for your comments on the lobby fragrance, we understand personal preference varies but your comments will certainly be taken into consideration. Regarding room size, we offer 6 room categories with measurement up to 420 sq. ft. / 39 sq. m. I’m sure there will be a room option that does meet with your requirements. Do let our reservations agent know about this when you next book with us and he/ she will be delighted to suggest a room type best cater to your needs.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 1, 2011

A mid range level hotel at Kowloon area, in between of Olympic Station and Mongkok Station. The nearest station is at Olympic and can travel by walk for around 7-10 minutes.
The community in the area have an 24-hr Mc Donalds, a 7-eleven and some chinese stores. night time in this area is dull... there is nothing much except those 24-hrs store.

in summary, here are the pro's and Cons -
Pros:
1. Room is very nice. Modern and stylistic, especially the toilet.
2. A nice picture window with automatic curtain blinds.
3. Complimentary water everyday.
4. Receptionist has a nice outfit.

Cons:
1. No wireless internet, but have LAN access for internet.
2. No night life in the area.
3. Baggage area is at the service parking with cages, but still safe.

Overall, i can book again to this hotel if i have money thou... :P

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wesleytam
Night life in fact can be an enjoyable experience for our guests, for guests having a taste for oriental culture, visit temple street and jade market both are famous night markets in Hong Kong ; for shopping, most of the shops in Mongkok (which is a 10 min walk from the hotel) opens till 11 pm at night; stylish bars and pubs are also available at the Kutsford Terrance area in Tsimshatsui. Our concierge will be happy to provide suggestions on where to go for a great night life experience. Regarding provision of WiFi internet, installation is already underway and by Oct 2011, internet in every room and suite will go wireless. It is good to know that you like the décor of the hotel and even the outfit of our receptionists, as a boutique hotel we just wish you’ll be impressed in every way.
New Delhi, India
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Nice clean hotel but not enough space in lobby to get seated very small rooms but what a friendly staff with a desire to help always waiting for you in the lobby to serve you with a smile excellent is small word for there service in lobby. Food was ok but not a single dish Indian now about location if you are a tourist I will not recommend but if you are a business traveller then its Ok.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 26, 2011

The hotel is stellar by website, and on arrival lives up to expectations, with a dramatic double-height entrance and huge chandelier. The staff (in kooky uniforms) are very friendly and have good English).

There's no two ways about it, the room was small. For £700 (8 nights), I had expected a little more room to manoeuvre. The bed could only be accessed comfortably from one side. Staying for a week was not thoroughly catered-for, as there was nowhere to store our cases. For the price, I had also expected breakfast, but it was an extra $110 each, and the staff in the dining room were curt, the food unexceptional.

There was a small fridge stocked with the basics. There was a TV with a football channel, which pleased him, but not much else in English (but we weren't on the other side of the world to watch the telly). The bathroom was enclosed by a curved glass wall with a sliding door. The novelty of this coupled with the excessive mirrors (presumably to enlarge the 'feel' of the space; in reality meant you could see each other on the toilet, even with the door closed, from anywhere in the room) wore off after about 3 hours. The shower was lovely, with a giant head which meant the water fell like rain. There was also a good safe in the room (not that it was really required).

There was a horrible smell from the drains, but maybe this was room-specific. We should have complained, but were unsure that our problem would translate without seeming rude. On the first night, I asked for an ice bucket, to which the porter said 'yes, certainly', but it failed to materialise. We also got a rather rude phone call from housekeeping asking if we were ever going to go outside so they could clean up our room.

On the last night, we even received a wake-up call we hadn't asked for at 8am, which wasn't great, as we planned to sleep til just before check-out, as we returned from Macau the night before at around 3am. The hotel lobby and lifts/corridors were superbly decorated and fanatically clean, but I did find a peanut under the bed (not ours), which put me off a bit.

The nearest metro is Olympic City, which is about 6 mins away, and there are some great restaurants (McDonalds aside) locally. We also found a good bar with lots of display cabinets with turtles in! Easy walking distance from Mong Kok station past interesting local food markets, and also a short walk from Golden Computer Arcade & market environs (including vendors of both jade and goldfish).

In all, the hotel was in a good location to see the more exciting side of local life. It's not such a far walk from the metro, and the pavements are slightly less frenetic than the more popular tourist areas. This also means you can find a variety of cheap local chow. The room wasn't big, but we didn't go to stay in the room. Another couple of square feet and it would have been good for a week. Standard rooms are more suitable for executives - if you're staying any longer, I'd recommend the next size up. I think it was expensive, but we booked late, and it's not that pricey compared to other hotels locally.

1 Thank its_december
Adelaide
Reviewed March 25, 2011

The Cosmo Kowloon represented great value for money in Hong Kong. Its a little bit out of the way from the tourist area's but is only a short walk to the nearest subway station (about 5-10mins). The restaurant is fairly dated and I wouldn't rave about the food either but it does provide an OK breakfast in an area of HKG that is lacking in good eateries.

The room that we stayed in was a deluxe and was absolutely tiny! The use of space within the room is quite ingenious but this wares off quickly when you are on top of each other at all times - bathroom and bedroom are literally separated by a semi-perspex glass wall.

The staff were very helpful and were able to answer all of our queries. Take advantage of the free shuttle bus which departs hourly and has several stops around the city.

Nashville, TN USA
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The outstanding service from the staff impressed me. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed by the room sizes, but I finally adapted to this for a short overnight stay.
I had never heard of this hotel until my company booked it. Upon arrival, I found the location to be adequate, close enough to manage where I wanted to go.
But the service attitude of the staff made my day. Check in was fast, professional and friendly. Waits for the two elevators proved to be long most of the time.
The room......wow, so surprised at tiny size for a newly opened hotel. I was really disappointed when I arrived, but I became accustomed to this and for one person this was ok. Similar to some other HK hotels, but did not expect for new place.
The bed could only be accessed from one side and the TV was wall mounted to make some room. The decor was well done to offset the tiny space and I decided I could cope for short term visit.
I had two disappointments.
I set the temperature for 28 to try and warm up the chilly room, but discovered it was colder. I finally decided the heat was broken and called for help. They sent a space heater and I later learned from other reviews that apparently the hotel does not have heat!. For 10 months this is fine.
I am very disappointed that this is not somehow high lighted when you arrive to check in or in the room.
Other shock was the new building under construction outside my window. On 23rd floor, I was look at the faces of the workers and they were noisy.
I tried to sleep in on Saturday, but the workers had other plans for me.
Overall - for the price I paid (HKD 1000+) I was not impressed with no heat, and construction noise. Also a HKD $120 charge for internet was also too much for my tolerance.
If I could pick a room on other side of building , get a lower price (this room and location seems to be ok for me at HKD 600 range inclusive of internet ) and of course avoid the cold weather days , maybe I would come back for a short stay.
The staff try really hard to make you welcome and go out of their way to help.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business