“Not what I expected”

Dorsett Mongkok Hong Kong
Ranked #75 of 727 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed March 19, 2011

The outstanding service from the staff impressed me. I have to admit I was pretty disappointed by the room sizes, but I finally adapted to this for a short overnight stay.
I had never heard of this hotel until my company booked it. Upon arrival, I found the location to be adequate, close enough to manage where I wanted to go.
But the service attitude of the staff made my day. Check in was fast, professional and friendly. Waits for the two elevators proved to be long most of the time.
The room......wow, so surprised at tiny size for a newly opened hotel. I was really disappointed when I arrived, but I became accustomed to this and for one person this was ok. Similar to some other HK hotels, but did not expect for new place.
The bed could only be accessed from one side and the TV was wall mounted to make some room. The decor was well done to offset the tiny space and I decided I could cope for short term visit.
I had two disappointments.
I set the temperature for 28 to try and warm up the chilly room, but discovered it was colder. I finally decided the heat was broken and called for help. They sent a space heater and I later learned from other reviews that apparently the hotel does not have heat!. For 10 months this is fine.
I am very disappointed that this is not somehow high lighted when you arrive to check in or in the room.
Other shock was the new building under construction outside my window. On 23rd floor, I was look at the faces of the workers and they were noisy.
I tried to sleep in on Saturday, but the workers had other plans for me.
Overall - for the price I paid (HKD 1000+) I was not impressed with no heat, and construction noise. Also a HKD $120 charge for internet was also too much for my tolerance.
If I could pick a room on other side of building , get a lower price (this room and location seems to be ok for me at HKD 600 range inclusive of internet ) and of course avoid the cold weather days , maybe I would come back for a short stay.
The staff try really hard to make you welcome and go out of their way to help.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank pine129
Write a ReviewReviews (3,853)

Reviewed March 5, 2011

This is a gem of a hotel, clean, modern, staff is exceptionally great. The rooms are quite small ( pretend you're on a cruise) There was a problem...no heat, just AC, and it was not that warm outside. Best bet is to take the train from airport to kowloon station, then a cab ( costs 4$) The hotel has a shuttle to kowloon station, and you can check in your luggage there...it's perfect! The shopping in the area is great, as are the local restaurants. It's a short subway ride to hong kong island from mong kok station.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
6  Thank jorge27
Reviewed February 9, 2011

If you want to get away from the crowds of downtown this is a nice location. There are local restaurants, markets and McD's across the street. A 5 minute walk and you will be in Olympic Mall with some great Food courts.
The only problem with this place is they forgot to include Heating in the A?C unit in each room and you need to ask for a heater when it gets cold outside. The rooms are tight and if you are a heavy or extra large overweight person you my be uncomfortable otherwise we loved the modern new decor and comfort of the room. Internet is not included and very expensive and breakfast is not cheap but the local dinning options are great and thier free shutle drops you off at the MTR station or downtown in about 5 minutes.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 26, 2011

We booked this hotel and stayed for 6 nights. As it was our first time in this hotel, did not know what to expect.

To our very pleasant surprise, the staff at reception were extremely pleasant and helpful. We were also taken up with the helpfulness of the concierge staff. All of them were always ready to answer any questions and provided us with accurate information.

Though the room was rather small, the hotel staff members made the stay very enjoyable and we would definitely recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Another plus point is the location. Across the location is a variety of amentities and McDonalds. It is also about a 15 to 20 minutes walk to the Ladies Market and a pleasant walk to the Jade Market. Taking a taxi is also easy and not very expensive.

So if you are thinking about a trip to Hong Kong, do give this hotel serious consideration.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank bubbie67
Reviewed January 22, 2011

The service was great ! I booked really last minute (the night before) and still managed to get a room, the hotel is really clean and feels extremely high class. The porter service people are really friendly, and the reception are very helpful.

The room was a good size, excellent for 1-2 or maybe even 3 people. Extremely recommended for solo travllers. Price is also reasonable, it's considered reasonably cheap for a hotel with that type of service and cleanliness.

Everything about the hotel is great, they are super friendly and super clean !
If I had to say anything slightly bad, it would only be the location. Its about 10minutes (maybe a bit less) to the nearest MTR station, which is a bit far, but it should be fine if you don't mind the walk. However, they do offer a shuttle bus service which takes you to the closet MTR station, so it's all good !

Overall, this hotel was so great that I decided to extend my stay in hong kong. Strongly recommended for tourists, solo travellers or anyone planning to stay in hong kong for a short period of time at a cheap but clean and classy hotel.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank srjam
Reviewed December 10, 2010

I have stayed at the Cosmo Kowloon three times since it opened and i must say they are really improving. On my first stay service was uneven and some of the hotel's facilities weren't completed. Now things are pretty good: I was warmly greeted at reception, more facilities are open and staff are more with it in terms of the service aspect. The food at this hotel is very good and I saw a few local families eating there even though they don't stay at the hotel. The outdoor bar area was a nice place for end of day beers (although maybe too warm in summer). The location is actually really good. you can walk to Nathan road in 10 minutes and it is pretty near the bird market, ladies market etc. Also the Olympic shopping center and Olympic MTR station are very close; therefore Central and Hong Kong Island are also less than 20 minutes away. The rooms are small, no question, but the price is really cheap especially for Hong Kong. Overall this is a good hotel that represents very good value for money.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2010

I booked the Cosmo Kowloon on otel at the rate of around 63 EUR per night which was cheap compared to other offers when I had to book at the last minute.
The hotel is not at the very heart of the tourist hot spots, but also not too far away. It takes about 10 minutes walk to Nathan road (and Mongkok Road) and some street markets.
The hotel lobby has a pretty impressive high ceiling and is clad in white marble. There are lots of attendants standing by opening the door for you and offering to bring your luggage to the room. Didn't expect that for that price.
Upon check-in, I received a free upgrade to their Executive Floor. The room itself is pretty small (maybe 10 sqm or 100 sq ft) and has a queen size bed that is only accessible from one side (or the bottom), the other side is at the wall to the bathroom. Speaking of bathroom, it is a little corner just beside the door with a glass wall and glass-sliding door to the room (don't worry, the glass is partially sand-blasted, so your travel companion won't actually see you). The room is cleverly laid out. There is space for a large suitcase on the window bench (with a decent view over Hong Kong Skyscrapers and very good blinds for a good sleep) and there is also a little working desk. Internet access from the room costs HKD 30 for one hour, HKD 60 for 3 hours or HKD 120 for a full day.
Overall, I would recommend this hotel and if I get a similar rate, I may stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo