“bad food and bad beer”

Ranked #47 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Los Angeles
“bad food and bad beer”
Reviewed November 14, 2009

Just because the bar business is slow doesn't give them a reason to keep the expired draft beer and serve it to the next sucker who orders it. The draft beer "Stella" I order tasted sour and the food was not impressive. The California sushi is worse then the ones you can get at a local supermarket. But they charge five time as much for three little sushi. Anyway, it's a very isolated hotel out of the way from anywhere. If you want to be depress, this is the hotel for you.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Kauai, Hawaii
Reviewed November 12, 2009

Spending just 2 days in Hong kong made my plans shuffle and shift to find the best deals and advantage to see and experience a spectacular city with so limited time. I arrived at Hong Kong International after midnight and after collecting my bags, headed over the bridge to the Airport Express that cost $ 1.00 US or $ 5.00 HKD. Very simple, smooth, short, and convenient ride of 5 minutes to the World Expo. I didnt mind walking the 8 minutes to the Hotel only because Ive been sitting on the plane for 13 hours. The check in agent was very nice and the process just took 5 minutes. Had a 2nd floor room over looking the water and accommodations was just as advertised. Pictures on hotel website and shared photos on TA are exactly the same. Room was huge and tastefully decorated. Bed was best Ive ever slept on in an Hotel. I loved it! I was able to sleep each night with sweet dreams.

Shuttle to Tung chung: every 30 minutes. Shopping at Citigate mall, ground level has a huge grocery store with all kinds of goodies.

Airport express to Kowloon station: cost of $ 12.00 US each way or $ 90.00HKD. Very easy walking access to water front and star ferry.

I would definitely stay at this Marriott again.

Stayed November 2009, traveled solo
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed November 8, 2009

I stayed there with a friend for 1 night by redeeming my Marriott Rewards points so I don't have to pay at the moment when I check-in or check-out. Just one night because we just want to take a break before the weekend, so 2D1N will be just perfect for us.

When I arrived to check-in at 2pm, the Front Office personnel asked me to give him my credit card to swipe $500 as the deposit which is a normal practice and this part is fine. But before that, he told me my credit card pre-payment transaction earlier to guarantee the room was turned down and asked for my credit card to do the same again.

Can't believe he could not notice from their system that I am a Marriott Reward member and I was using the Rewards points to redeem the room night. This part really impressed me. Never do I came across with such inexperienced Front Office staff of the Marriott Hotels during my membership with Marriott Reward. When I stayed in other Marriott Group's hotels, the check-in was handled properly without such embarassment and hassle. The management should reinforce the message of handling the members' check-in properly and don't ask stupid questions again. Everything has been arranged and done when I booked online. Don't ask me which type of bed we'd prefer upon check-in when I have actually indicated my preference from the "Virtaul Concierge" sent via the email reminder by Marriott before my stay! What's the point of arranging everything in advance then?

Ok, we were then assigned to a king bed room, non-smoking, on 10/F with ocean view as guaranteed when I booke via Marriott Rewards. However, when we entered the room we noticed there was no bathtub. The website features a bathtub for this kind of room. I called the "At Your Service" agent and raised my request to change to a room with a bathtub. A few mins later, I was told that the same type of room was yet available until perhaps late afternoon. There was one room with bathtub but it's a smoking room on 6/F. As my friend and I don't want to hang out and really want to take a nap first, we accepted and we were brought by a bell boy to another room on 6/F.

We thought everything will be fine then. Still we were not so lucky, we were not told that it's a room for disable person. Right, there was a bathtub with shower, but the toilet basin was dediated for wheel-chair people so they can move from the wheel-chair more easily. Obviously it would be too high for us. The sink was terribly tiny (don't ever think you can wash your face there) to make room for the whole bathroom so disabled people can have more space to move around. The towels and bathroom amenities were not placed in a proper place, they were just scattered over the bathroom, some at the back of the bathtub, some even on the toilet basin! There was only one hanger to hang all your towel, bathrobe and clothes etc.

We were desparately disappointed and found it really exhausted to deal with the personnel again so we didn't ask for changing a room again. But we did not feel good of course.

The next morning at 10am, the door bell rang and someone opened our door but failed as we had the safety chain locked. We then opened the door and it was a housekeeping lady. She said she wanted to check if we have used any mini-bar!! Come on, it's 10am!! Even though we haven't put the "Do not disturb" sign out the door, should they press the door bell and can they please check with the Front Office first if the guest had chekced out before knocking the guest's door for just a minor issue like mini-bar replenishment? If they do respect guest's privacy, they should always wait a while to see if there's someone inside before using their own key card to bump into the guest room at just 10am!!

The first experience with Sky City Marriott is obviously rather bad. Staying in a hotel is a experience that will bring life-long memories, I of course won't forget the problems I have encountered this time, but at the same time I would not forget to NOT recommend this to people I know as well.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Texas
Reviewed November 6, 2009

My wife and I stayed here after a business trip to Shenzhen. The short complimentary ride from the airport was friendly and efficient. Our first impression of the hotel was good. Check-in was fair. It took slightly longer than we would have liked, but it was no problem. We were surprised that internet was not free, as we always select hotels with free internet. We consider paying between $15 and $20 a day, a rip-off, for this much needed business facility. When we arrived in the room, it looked clean and comfortable. We looked for a few international power outlets, but were surprised that there were none, even though this is a very modern hotel. There should have, at least, been a power adaptor in the room.

The problem occurred at about 10.30pm when we clearly heard our neighbors in the adjacent room. They were laughing and talking loudly. The walls were so thin and badly insulated that we could even hear them yawning. At 11.30pm we called down to reception to ask them to please request the people in the adjacent room to be a bit considerate and be quiet. Eventually at close to midnight the hotel called us in the room and suggested we moved room. We declined their offer as we would have to get dressed, pack up our things and move. All this with an early start in the morning to catch our flight to New York.

At 4.30am the noise started in the opposite room. The entire purpose of staying in an airport hotel was so we could relax and get a good night's sleep before our long 15 hour flight to New York. Alas, this did not work out, at all.

On speaking to the manager in the morning, he did not offer to "comp" our room, but offered an upgrade when we return next time. Now why would we ever want to return??

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Maryland, USA
Reviewed November 5, 2009

We had a one night layover and this hotel was more reasonable than the other close by alternative. I got the senior citizen discount, but it was expensive. We arrived after 11 pm and there was no shuttle, had to take a cab for $6 USD. Hint- cabs are colored for the area of your destination - you want a blue cab for this short trip. Hotel is very close to the airport and next to Asia World Expo center. Hotel room was very nice -- modern clean, comfortable. After the long flight, we had a very good solid sleep. Went to airport on shuttle the next day and continued on our trip. I liked this hotel and the rates were reasonable for Hong Kong.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
danishbroad
Reviewed November 2, 2009

On the last night of our stay we came back to the room at 6pm only to find room service cleaning our room. We were surprised that our room wasn’t ready since we left the room at 8am that morning. It is bad management to have our room cleaned so late. There was a man and a woman cleaning the room and what looked like a supervisor outside our room with the cleaning cart. Even though we were disappointed, we had no choice but to head to the lobby and wait until our room was clean. I had a bag that was full of materials from the trade show and I decided to leave my bag in the room. Turns out this was a very big mistake. In the outside pocket was my digital camera Canon Power Shot SD750 worth $350 US dollars. The camera was in the bag when we left the room. After having a drink at the bar we went back to our room, it was clean but my camera was gone. We didn’t go anywhere else until the next morning. We called the manger and they searched the room as well, including all our luggage. No camera was found, our room was violated. To make a terrible situation worse, dealing with the mangers on duty proved to be a taxing experience.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 25, 2009

Its kinda far from downtown Hong King so not a good place to stay if your sight seeing. But for a convention or if you need to be near the airport (they have a free shuttle) its very nice.

The free morning buffet was the best meal I had at my stay in Hong Kong. Its a international Buffet so they have every type of food you could thing of from every nationality.

They have a amazing indoor pool, sauna, but the jacuzzi is to small and not at all hot.

No free wi-fi was a downer. But the rooms are amazing nice decor and very comfy. Very modern and clean enough to eat off the floor.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business