“Cruising on the HMS Marriott”

Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel
Ranked #44 of 721 Hotels in Hong Kong
Reviewed December 7, 2013

Arrived her pretty weary after a 15 and a half hour flight and wanted nothing more than a meal, a bath, and a bed. But for whatever reasons, they upgraded me to a huge and luxurious room on a higher floor and I fell in love with the place.

Had planned to move on the next morning, but extended for a second night. I often travel on the cheap, but this time I felt in need of a splurge. Am convinced it was the right decision.

Thought about going touring and or shopping in Hong Kong on my free day, but I've been there before several times and didn't have a pressing sense of mission. Instead, I never left the confines of the hotel.

The HMS Marriott became my cruise ship on the ocean as I got rested, read the last part of my book and caught up on e-mail, etcetera. Low key activities and it was pleasant to have the luxury of unstructured time. No deadlines, no rigid schedules, no tight connections.

Nothing is really near this hotel, but it didn't matter to me. They do have a shuttle that will take you to City Center (Tung Chung 东涌) free of charge.

Might add that I've stayed at Novotel Citygate and at the Regal Airport Hotel several times on previous trips. Both of those are less isolated, and that might be a consideration if you were traveling with restless, action-oriented family members or kids who needed entertainment.

When I checked in they told me about a temporary special whereby you get breakfast for only one additional Hong Kong Dollar. I leaped at that and definitely got good value from that single extra HKD. If you are going soon, I suggest inquiring about this fine deal. I can't remember when it ends.

Shuttle from and to the airport was efficient and complimentary. Runs every 20 minutes around the clock. Bellman helped me with my heavy luggage. One night I ate in the hotel's dining room and had a top notch meal. Cost a bit more than it would have at an outside restaurant, but that's to be expected. The quality was there and the convenience made it a good value.

The next night I was supremely lazy and ordered room service. It arrived promptly and was set up by a friendly, smiling waitress. Chicken avocado pizza, a garden salad, and a cup of mushroom soup. Every item freshly made and at the right serving temperature.

Check out was smooth. Staff were all friendly, from maids, to wait staff, to bellmen, to counter personnel. Most were trilingual, having an excellent command of Mandarin as well as Cantonese in addition to decent English. I'm a member of their rewards club and therefore got free internet. You need to mention it if you are also a member, or else you will incur a charge.

When my cruise on the HMS Marriott ended, I was in much better condition when I first boarded the ship two days earlier and could continue my expedition into Mainland China refreshed and well rested.

Thank you Marriott.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank ZhongguoKM
There are newer reviews for Hong Kong SkyCity Marriott Hotel

Reviewed December 6, 2013

I stayed here for a 20 hour layover in Hong Kong between flights. The room was very clean and comfortable, the bed was great and everything was great, except for a few of the staff. Some lady rang the door bell three times, and before I had a chance to go see who it was (in my underwear) she started to open the door. I had to yell at her to stop, and she shrieked back something about whether or not I had any laundry to do. Completely unacceptable behavior on the part of this member of the staff which soured my stay. The location is good, though, right next to the airport terminal, and the breakfast buffet was very well stocked, but a little on the expensive side. The staff behavior was usual for the Chinese -- aloof and not very customer oriented.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed December 5, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights. We are a family with two young kids. The main purpose to visit Hong Kong in this time was Disneyland. We chose this hotel because of these three reasons.
First, the hotel provides free shuttle bus to Disneyland. It runs daily at 10 am.
Second, the hotel also provides free shuttle bus from and to airport. I see it is a good point for us after we finished another trip before we were at Hong Kong. Within 10 minutes, we have arrived this hotel.
Third, the hotel also provides free shuttle bus to Tung Chung MTR/shopping malls regularly.

Overall, we love and enjoy to stay at this hotel. Hotel staff are very helpful and friendly. We fell like staying at home.

Definitely, I will always return and recommend this hotel.

Thank you very much to all hotel staffs for their good and excellent service.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for four days and the service and friendliness of the people was equal to the best I have experienced. The shuttle buses run regularly to the airport and Tung Chung shopping centre, and the rail systems from there to almost anywhere you might want to go are excellent.

Totally recommend it.

2  Thank TaoMan49
Reviewed December 4, 2013

The hotel has a shuttle bus to the airport and it is more convenient than using a taxi. However, the shuttle can be quite full and crowded for some reason, as I expected the night of my layover. Quite a lot of Chinese with their numerous baggages to put in the baggage compartment, and you'll have difficulties retrieving yours at the destination.
The hotel is quite nice. The check-in process is really smooth for elite members (if you can beat those Chinese to the counter, as they usually use travel agencies and their reservations took longer to settle than regular Marriott.com reservations).
The room is good enough for a Marriott.
The lounge looks nice, but we had a 9 am flight, and we got to the lounge at 6:20 when things were not ready. We didn't wait and took the shuttle to the airport to have breakfast at Tsui Wah. The morning shuttle is quite enjoyable and the check-out is as smooth.
Will return for layovers.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Stayed here one night in Nov. As Marriott Platinum, got a water view top floor room.
Concierge lounge is quite nice. Good snacks etc. at dinner time. We could also
check in & out in the lounge. And the free breakfast was in the main restaurant, quite good. Shuttle bus from/to airport worked fine. Hotel is 10 minutes taxi from Tung Chung and the nice
City Gate Mall as well as the Cable Car. (Can also easily be done by Metro). We taxied to
Disney World (15 minutes) which was fun. If you are over 65, you get in for only
HK$100 as compared to HK$450. Highly recommend this hotel if you are in transit and don't
want to trek into HK.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in November. The hotel is perfect for transit passengers. There is nothing much to shout out about this hotel but I love how convenient it is to go everywhere from here and the frequency of the airport and to Tung Chung town shuttle. We went to Disneyland by taking the shuttle to Tung Chung and from there we took the train line to Disneyland and came by the hotel's shuttle from Disneyland. It was so convenient for us considering the travelling hours with 2 young hyperactive girls. The room was spacious and we had an extra bed. Service from the staff were great despite some language barrier but it wasn't that bad at all! The hotel is also connected to the train station that goes to the city. So travelling to the city isn't a hassle at all. It's a great airport hotel and keep it up!

1  Thank hidayahshafiz