“Small but clean, good location.”
Review of Sealand Guesthouse

Sealand Guesthouse
Ranked #40 of 266 Hong Kong B&B and Inns
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We booked a room at Magestic House but ended up in Sealand House instead.
The room was teeny tiny, one of the smallest I've stayed in but it was clean, had air conditioning and the bed was comfortable. The location is excellent, lots of restaurants around, close to transit or the ferry to get around and lots of sights in Kowloon.
There is wifi or a computer to use.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank traveladdicted4

Reviewed February 8, 2011

We stayed at the Sealand over Chinese New Year and found it to be exactly what we needed. It's 30 seconds away from Tsim sha Tsui station and located in a mansion building on Cameron Road on the 8th floor. This means it's so central, you can get to everywhere easily by hopping on the MTR. It's not in a seedy area, unlike Chungking Mansions, but hawkers will ask you if you want 'Copy watch' or tailors all the time on Nathan Road, which Cameron road connects to. Just ignore them!

The rooms are tiny, of course, but clean and they tidy/clean every day. The water pressure isn't the best but as ong as you switch the water heater on for 15 mins before showering, it's hot. We had no issues with noise as the windows blocked it out extremely effectively. I would recommend taking a towel or buying one at a market as the tiny ones they gave us were more suited to our hair than going round our bodies! The people were very nice and friendly, although they managed to mix up our booking and thought we were only staying four nights when we were staying five. We had to transfer to another guest house down Nathan Road for one night at midnight - annoying for us, but the new guest house was possibly better!

I would highly recommend this if you are travelling on a budget and are going to be out and about so much, it doesn't matter about your hotel luxuries. It was about £30 for the room which meant our five night stay cost us £75 each! Complete bargain and as it was so handy, I would suggest any traveller stay here for ease of access.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 18, 2010

I stayed at the Sealand Guesthouse during my first ever visit to HK. The location was amazing, bang in the middle of TST, right by the subway system and a great base for setting out to see HK by foot. Located on a well lit, busy street and a bunch of cafes, eateries, shops and convernience stores right on the doorstep, I opted to stay away from the hostels in the Chungking Mansions after hearing a few dubious stories about the area and found this place to be a little gem and a nice and more convenient option to stay in.
It was reasonable value for money and the staff I dealt with were super helpful having dealt with them both before my arrival and during my stay.
The only problems I encountered: I arrived by bus from the airport at around 12 at night and having checked that I could access the guesthouse 24 hours a day and warned of my arrival I had a bit of a drama getting into the building. Like most guesthouses and hostels in HK the Sealand House is situated in one of the many high rise blocks that accomodate both residential and commercial properties. In order to get up to my floor I had to get into the main building which at that time the front gate was locked and the security guy was asleep at the desk. I shouted and banged on the bars for an hour before he woke up! So bit of a stressful arrival!
Another weird scenario...on two occassions in the middle of the night when I was asleep I woke up to find someone had slightly opened my door and was peeping in! They quickly vanished when I woke up and clocked them! But I always made sure to always put the chain on the door!
I booked a single room and that came with an en suite...it was small but cosy....interior was outdated and basic but it served as a great place just for sleeping and the rooms were clean. I would definitley stay here again, unfortunatley during my last trip they were fully booked, but its a great base to see HK and a really vibrant and action packed area to stay in!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank twinklepops
Reviewed November 30, 2009

I stayed here for 5 nights or so and had no complaints. The rooms are tiny (like most in HK), but clean and reasonably bright, the location is good, literally 1 min from Tsim Sha Tsui station. Staff was friendly and had no problem with me repeatedly extending my stay. They have a second guesthouse (Majestic House) on the other side of Nathan road, where I stayed 2 more nights at the end when the Sealand was fully booked and which was also ok.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed March 29, 2009

We do long term stays and arrange private rates directly with the hotel. That is why we will not refer to price paid for a room in our reviews, but it is always well below advertised, on line or walk-in rack rates. We stayed nine nights on this occasion.

As ever, feel free to contact us directly for further questions or check out our Blog ([--]) for more on the accommodation, including pictures and what we’ve done in the area or just to relieve the boredom in the office…maybe.

ARRIVAL/TRANSFER:

Landing at Hong Kong airport from Bangkok, find the local bus station and buy your tickets for a single trip on the A21 bus (direction Tsim Sha Tsui) at a price of HK$ 33 per person. It will take about 40-50 minutes depending on traffic but the bus stop is just a couple of minute's walk away from the guesthouse. The A21 will take you right the way along Nathan Road and you need you get off at Cameron Road, where the Majestic Mansion is located. The best land mark to aim for is the Mosque which is situated on Nathan Road directly opposite Cameron Road.

The building is very close to the top of the road, on the RHS next to a KFC "restaurant" and you will need to go through a small opening leading to a lobby with two lifts. The gates will be locked after midnight so make arrangements to be let in before you arrive. The security guard (more like a caretaker) is friendly and will give you a smile and a wave as you head for the 8th floor. Your lodgings are directly ahead of you as you exit the lift, past the stairs and on the RHS.

All prices are in Hong Kong Dollar (HK$) and at the time we were getting around HK$ ~11.00 to the British pound.

SURROUNDING AREA:

Thriving, with a full on assault of the senses only a major city and all its attractions can offer. Hong Kong truly rocks. Supermarkets/7-11s, banks, ATMs, Bureau de Change, hotels, guest houses, bars, diners, restaurants, pubs, shops, shops and more shops of all kinds. You won’t get bored and it's all open twenty fours a day.

FIRST IMPRESSIONS:

A little daunting and drab as you peer up at the tower block which almost reaches into the low clouds if it's a misty day. It ain't Majestic and it surely isn't a mansion, but you soon get used to it as most of the accommodation is exactly like this. The outsides hide the prettiest of jewels and books and covers spring to mind.

THE ROOM(S):

Tiny, minuscule, titchy, small, cramped- need I go on? But this Hong Kong where space is a premium and unless you're lashing out HD$ 500+/night you won't have too many options. We had a single bed and bunk beds in our "room" which made it feel even more claustrophobic but it's only used as a crash pad, so what's the problem?

It also contained a small desk at the foot of the bunks which was ideal for stashing the bags under and laying out a few bits and bobs.

Other features included a remote air conditioning unit, an extractor fan (the room was windowless) a kettle and a portable TV (14") which even had two English speaking channels. Bonus. We also received faultless wi-fi in the room and only experienced a lack of signal once, which was down to the ISP.

There was no en-suite bathroom. Instead we had exclusive and private use of a small toilet/shower at the end of the corridor which despite its size worked incredibly well. The shower was directly over the toilet and you knocked your elbow getting in and out of the cubicle, but you soon got used to it and it was always incredibly spotless. You could eat off the floor it was so clean.

UPS:

- Super internet connection.
- Use of a computer in Reception if you're travelling sans laptop.
- Twin beds with fresh linen and a comfortable duvet.
- Location is brilliant, right in the heart of things and a few minutes walk from Kowloon's harbour and the Avenue of Stars.
- The family are friendly and helpful and speak excellent English.
- Very good air con in the rooms.
- Electric kettle in room for tea/coffee.
- Didn't expect a TV, so surprised to see one and more so that we could watch the occasional film on Pearl or a-TV World.
- Use of shared fridge to store drinks in the Reception area.
- Exceptionally clean throughout.
- Secure and safe; no problems leaving personal items in your room.

DOWNS:

- Lack of space
- Narrow beds
- Noisy, as street sounds were piped into the room via the extractor fan. The room was also directly next to Reception and so late arrivals/early departures and telephones could be heard in peace shattering clarity.
- It seems "private and exclusive" means something different in Chinese as we ended up sharing "our" bathroom with the resident family. Not a problem as it was never engaged when we needed to use it, but not quite what we were led to believe.
- Having to switch the water heater and then waiting 15 + minutes before you can shower.

BREAKFAST:

Not included.

COMMENTS:

Being on a limited budget we decided to save cash for our spending by electing not to take the en-suite bathroom option. Despite saving HK$ 900 over our stay, I'm not sure we'd do that again. It was no problem using the external facilities, but if you get caught short at some awful hour in the morning, it's a pain to grab clothes and blunder along the hall.

FINAL IMPRESSIONS:

Loved the experience. The family are welcoming, friendly and helpful. The place though small is rather charming and well maintained. You're in the heart of Kowloon and minutes away from the harbour, where you can get a boat across to HK Central with Star Ferry running every seven minutes and costing just over two HK bucks one way.

The only pain are the street hawkers who are aggressive, unrelenting and miserable sods. They rarely take "no" for an answer as they try and flog you fake watches and hand bags, accommodation or food from their restaurants. The best way is to fight like for like by ignoring them and not even engaging in conversation. They are particularly rife along the lower end of Nathan Road and by the ferry port.

Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ktelontour
Reviewed March 19, 2009

My wife, 5-year old son and I stayed in HK for 5 nights...and we stayed at this guest house...the room was small but what would you expect from a guest house...and anyway, you're not going to HK to stay in your room because you better spend your time exploring the city's attractions...as what the previous poster has said, the guest house is just a few meters away from the TST MTR station which absolutely connects you to the best attractions in HK...Disneyland, Ocean Park, Star Ferry, Avenue of the Stars and it is also 1 ride away from Mongkok (Ladies Market). It is also near to most of the popular fastfood chains...if you are on a tight budget...

One of the best things that this guest house could offer is the people that is running it...Amy the owner was more than happy to answer all our inquiries from directions to dining recommendations...her assistant was also very nice...

For people who want to get cheap tickets for Disneyland and Ocean Park...go down Nathan Road on the way to the Harbor and find China Travel...they sell discounted tickets for these popular HK theme parks....

I would definitely recommend this guest house to people who are on a tight budget and who wants to stay where the action is...

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
3  Thank jaybz
Reviewed November 21, 2008

As many hotels in HK have got a very small rooms this property is not different.
It is in fact guest house, but really when we looked for accommodation in HK we wanted to be as close to center as possible and of course we didn't want to spend a fortune for 2 nights. Sealand House was great for that deal.
Firstly location is great - just few meters from MTR station TsimShaTsui, so exactly very close to Star Ferry Pier and just on the corner of Nathan Road. It means that around you can find a lot of great food and shops. Guest house is located in 8th floor and consists only 8 rooms. Rooms are very small , but what is important very, very clean. There is a TV and A/C.
Probably not all rooms are with bathroom (I noticed shared bathrooms as well). Our rooms had bathrooms - also small, but with needed amenities - toothbrush, paste, shampoo, shower cream ect. Towels were changed daily. Only one disadvantage is that you do not have a lot of space for your luggage but we managed that .
As I mentioned - if you need a clean and safe place for short stay - it would be ok for the price you pay.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5  Thank Adam S