“Good location but not too much to write home about”

Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui
Ranked #41 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
NYC, NY
“Good location but not too much to write home about”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

This hotel reminds us of why we avoid large chain hotels for our vacations. The Hyatt is large is in a very good location - close to good shopping and easy transportation. The rooms are clean - although a bit weird in design with no/few drawers to put your clothes (??) so we could not really unpack ?? We were quite irritated by the view, which claimed to be "harbor view" but is more accurately a view FACING the harbor which is blocked by the buildings in front of the Hyatt...." AND right across from the laundry/maid area - so it was VERY noisy in the morning!!! We did complain about the view to no avail.....I have to say that nothing irritates me more at a hotel than having the front desk tell me that they are fully booked and cannot do anything to address our concerns about the room. We made our reservations months ago - and if they were going to be fully booked they just should have not taken them....
Another negative was the concierge (at least the one we dealt with) who was incredibly useless - and did not even tell us that the restaurant we were heading to had moved!
So why the 4-stars and not 3-stars? Well, the location is good and the hotel is clean and comfortable and this is a very good value for Hong Kong - just do not expect anything special. It is too large and impersonal for that. Although I have to say that of all the staff the bell boys were the nicest and most friendly - at least they tried to provide good service

Room Tip: If you request (and pay for...) HARBOR VIEW make sure you actually get a view of the harbor!!!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank harlemfamily

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (369)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed July 6, 2013

I was going to write a good review about the location, our room, our lunch at the Chinese Resto, and the outdoor Chin Chin Bar, but 3 really bad and glaring experiences really made our trip to Hyatt most unpleasant. We will never go back there again.
My wife and I have stayed in maybe 15 different 4-5 star hotels in HK in the past 10 years as we like coming to HK 3-4x a year either on our return trips from EU or the USA, or just for a visit. We're even card holders of the HK Frequent Visitor Pass. The hotels we like , we try to go back. Every so often, we try out a new one. Our mistake.
1. The breakfast was minimal compared to other 5-star HK Asian buffets. After one breakfast, we never went back. Do not eat at their buffet breakfast. It's just a waste of your good money.
2. The swimming pool does not serve ANY beverage and food, let alone snacks. You have to bring your own water. Huh???? Is this for real??? Anyway, forget their swimming pool. When I mentioned this to a staff, he said it's because the pool is owned by the Residences. Oh, ok....but so what???
3. When we checked in, the receptionist said that my wife and my reservation was for only 1 daily breakfast. OK, maybe my mistake when I booked it at Agoda. They gave us 4 coupons (for 4 nights stay) with a validity date until end of July. I thought, that's ok. If we like the breakfast, we'll just eat at their buffet for 2 days, and eat out for 2 days. WRONG!! After a mediocre buffet breakfast, we gave 2 coupons thinking one coupon each. WRONG!! iT'S ONE COUPON PER PERSON PER DAY. Not transferrable. When this was explained to me upon checkout, I said we still have 3 breakfast coupons. Why was I charged for 1 breakfast? Hence the explanation of 1 coupon per day per guest. After a moment of talking uselessly with a Front Desk Supervisor, I just paid my bill. I'm normally not picky about these things, but I feel bad when I feel I've been taken for a ride.
I will never go back to this hotel. I hope you dont have to experience what we did.
Bad, bad hotel. Change your outdated policies. Improve your breakfast. Serve food and beverages in your poolside. But even if you do these things, we know of a lot better hotels in HK where we are welcome and we like the service. Good riddance Hyatt.

Room Tip: Rooms in another hotel will be better. Dont waste your good money here.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank benjieguev
XavierPech, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, responded to this review, July 8, 2013
Thank you for taking time to write a review of your recent visit. We appreciate your valuable feedback regarding food and beverage at the pool area and we shall review your comments with the apartment management. I was concerned to learn of the inconvenience you have experienced at breakfast in Cafe and the associates who attended to you failed to extend the flexibility as expected. Please be assured that I have taken this matter up with the team to ensure our usual high standards are met in future. Thank you for bringing this to our attention and we hope you will consider visiting us again in the future. With best regards, Xavier Pech, General Manager
Bangkok, Krung Thep, Thailand
Reviewed July 5, 2013

good location for shoppaholic,,,excellent service!!! I love this place, near avenue of star just 5mins walk also nice view...so you have your private symphony of light in room (except the sound)...;P I was there after the Cyclone or something so nice place to walk and safe for woman alone.

Room Tip: Harbour view room....for harbour view and private symphony of light in room
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Monticello ny
Reviewed July 1, 2013

This Hyatt experience was wonderful. The location is perfect for touring the city and right next to the metro. The staff was excellent in every way and couldn't do enough for you. We upgraded to a Club Room and so had use of the Concierge Club which had excellent breakfasts and afternoon food and drinks. We had an excellent meal at the Chinese restaurant which we were told by our guide was one of the hidden gems of the city.

By far the most impressive thing was the helpfulness of the assistant front desk manager, Mr. Keith Lee. Mr. Lee went out of his way to assist us in using our Hyatt points to offset the cost of our stay. This nicety has definitely made me a Hyatt customer and I will certainly return to this hotel. .

Room Tip: High floor with a harbor view.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank steveboces1
XavierPech, General Manager at Hyatt Regency Hong Kong, Tsim Sha Tsui, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. It is a pleasure to read your positive comments concerning the overall hotel service, food and location. We were delighted to learn that Keith Lee was helpful and friendly. Please rest assured that we will recognise him for the assistance provided to you during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Xavier Pech - General Manager.
San Francisco, California
Reviewed June 30, 2013

We stayed at the club suite at this Hyatt Regency.
The service was great, but I think it could have been better.
The location of the hotel was pretty good. It was close enough to walk to the avenue of stars and the surrounding hotels and malls. The layout of the hotel was a bit odd. The main door, or what we thought the main door, didn't make it look like a typical Hyatt. The properly way for taxis to drop people off was in the underground parking structure, whereas other hotels had ground floor drop offs. But this wasn't a big issue.
The size of the rooms were pretty clean and big, even though we paid for the club suites. The view was great and we loved seeing boats float along the bay.
The highlight of the trip was the club lounge for breakfast and afternoon tea. Every afternoon, we would go to the lounge for wine and cheese, but that's not all they had. There were bottles of liquor, champagne, juices, sodas, bread, salmon, and fruits. Since it was buffet style, it is a nice place to pre-game and get your cheese on.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Hotel D
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I was at Hyatt Tsim Tsa Shui in Jan 2013 for a few days on a business trip. Hotel's location is pretty convenient as Tsim Tsa Shui MTR is just below the hotel. We were four of us and wanted an early check-in for atleast one or two rooms if not all four. But surprisingly the attendant at the reception told us that it was not possible. It was only after some persuasion, he agreed. Its quite surprising as all 380 rooms cannot be booked at the same time. Apart from this, no other issues with the hotel, room is amazing and very comfortable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 29, 2013 via mobile

The services that u can get from any Hyatt is always been one of the best. It is not an exception in HK, TST branch.
My last stay was in Jan when I commented casually that the corridor is a bit too dim to be labelled as cosy and room should be well lit. I will be doing some paper work at night and the dark cosy room is straining my eyes.

So this trip when I was doing my check in, the staff mentioned that an additional desk light is already in my room and they have put me at the first room from the elevator.

I was shocked. I never expect my casual remark was taken so seriously.

The room is smaller than its other branch in Sha tin. But it was compensated with the great location and the free breakfast. Within the mall of K11, there are several restaurants and across the hotel there is an excellent ramen stall.
What else to complain when mtr station is just at basement??

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience. It is a pleasure to learn of your satisfaction with the location and overall hotel service. We were delighted to receive such recognition. Thank you for your support and we look forward to welcoming you back soon. Best regards, Xavier Pech - General Manager.