“Very expensive.”

Chuen Kee Seafood Restaurant Save
Ranked #912 of 8,734 Restaurants in Hong Kong
“Very expensive.”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

You pay for the fish (2 or 3 times the market price) then you pay for the cooking. Definitely not worth going.

1 Thank Assouhk

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
“Relaxing seafood dinner after hiking in Sai Kung”
Reviewed April 6, 2012

I've been to Chuen Kee a few times after strenuous trailrunning sessions around Sai Kung.
This is a concept familiar to HK people but not necessarily to western people.
You get seated, then you go to aquariums to select the beauties you want to be cooked for you and you ask the waiter how you want them to prepare the seafood (boiled, stir-fried ...).
They quote a market price, and basically the price on the final bill will be double. It is very affordable for the freshest seafood.
For the preparation, well, it is cooked in chinese way, so we like or we prefer others (I do prefer vietnamese way but we don't have the same ingredients in HK).

The atmosphere outside is noisy and messy, but who cares.
I would appreciate not to see dogs eating on the tables though.
We can take away if we're too full.
Don't miss the place if you're in Sai Kung.

• Visited May 2011
4 Thank needlehill
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Whats all the Fuss About”
Reviewed April 5, 2012

Perhaps because I am not Chinese I just cant understand this place. Its rated highly but for me all the dishes taste the same and they just don't know how to nail seafood - no spicy whole fried fish just a mix of seafood (albeit it is fresh) that is average. Seems very expensive for what it is - could they have two price lists? I suspect so and wont be back no matter how many visitors plead me to take them!!!

Visited January 2012
hong kong
“Tasty, pleasant, good value, service not great”
Reviewed December 14, 2011

Visited once for dinner and ordered the set menu for 4, for 3 of us. Was a bit hit and miss - ginger garlic dishes were outstanding; lobster and crab were good - but difficult to eat without the right implements; salt and pepper squid hadn't seen salt and pepper for a very long while, steamed shrimp was very plain but tasty if covered in accompanying sauce. Going back for dinner, I would order a la carte rather than the set menu - but it was still very enjoyable and generous portions.
Also visited for dim sum. Was given the English menu which had 30 dim sum items. Also on the table were 4-5 Chinese menus, where one menu alone had 46 items. But this is standard for HK and as a gweilo you will know that you don't get the same variety. Shrimp dim sum were outstanding; deep fried radish which was supposed to be in a crispy pastry - wasn't too crispy but tasty nonetheless; and custard egg tarts - extremely tasty. Think perhaps the custard had curdled just a tad, but it made no difference to the taste which was delicious. Would have liked a touch better service. I had to ask for sauce for the dim sum and was brought one which was a chilli oil. There were the usual soy and sesame sauces, peanuts and chilli on other tables. Good location and view. Vibrant atmosphere. Would return. You can choose your own seafood from tanks if you prefer. Lunch was around $10 for the 3 dishes - very good value.

• Visited December 2011
“Fresh and cheap seafood”
Reviewed September 18, 2011

My hong kong friend bought us to Sai Kung got seafood and we just picked a place which we thought was good. Out bet turned out to be not bad :) it was a FULLY packed 4-storeys restaurant filled with plenty of locals. We ordered a set for 4 and were allowed to choose several items within the allowed dishes. For the price of abt SGD25/pax, I would say it's very cheap. I wouldn't mind returning for the wonderful crowded atmosphere and reasonably priced food.