“An average stay”

Ranked #478 of 718 Hotels in Hong Kong
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
“An average stay”
Reviewed November 26, 2011

My travel agent had booked my stay at this Hotel for a week. The location is good as it provides connectivity to hot spots of the HK Island and Kowloon. Also, it has numbers of eating places and markets nearby. However, the experience of the rooms was not very good. The rooms had been extremely small. It was just sufficient to fit a double bed and a table. The room did not have any window. There was just a glass pane but it was not good enough to have a view outside.
The hotel is not a value for money because I advise to look for other options in the nearby areas which are far better than this one and also at the comparable rates.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank njaina

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed September 21, 2011

Despite having advertised free WiFi in rooms, there was none. Was told that they had recently moved to hardline ethernet, but that didn't work for us either. After complaining, they told us we could come down and use the WiFi in the main lobby, but that WiFi also failed. My BF spent 2 hours helping them fix the WiFi for the lobby. The hotel staff were polite, but generally had a 'that's the way it is' attitude and were all around useless.

They require a 800HKD deposit for the key-card to the room, which is re-used from guest to guest. They did not have an extra key-card for my BF.

Signage in the room said to go downstairs for an iron. I went downstairs and was told they needed my passport and a 500HKD deposit for the iron. I said the sign in my room didn't mention it and the guy just handed me the iron.

The bathroom door is a sliding piece of frosted glass, which was supposed to be activated by a button, but the button didn't work so we had to manually slide it - no biggie. The shower stall had cracked tiles and mildew. The toilet ran constantly and due to the sliding glass, you couldn't really close off the bathroom and its noises. The bathroom was dark - probably to try and hide all the flaws.

There is a small wet bar area in the room to wash things. The bed was firm (like sleeping on the floor), but I like that. The bed and room seemed clean....

I'll tell you why I use the word 'seemed.' About 30 minutes after we checked in, we heard (very clearly - thin walls and room door goes 1-2 inches off the floor, so sound travels very well) a man negotiating prices with a high heeled woman in the room next door. I guess the negotiation was successful because shortly after we heard a lot of 'business'. Initially, I thought things like this happen and I figured the hotel doesn't get to choose their guests. And at that point I wasn't really questioning the cleanlinees of the bed/room. I had run into the cleaning staff several times during our stay and they were very sweet and nice/helpful (completely opposite of the reception staff). It wasn't until our last night that my opinion on the Kings Hotel in Wanchai was solidified.

On our last night (we were there for 10 and had 9 days of 'normal' neighbors), we were returning from a late dinner (10pm) and were stepping off the elevator when I noticed a hotel worker (receptionist, not cleaning staff) lingering in the hallway near our door. I noticed she was holding a walkie and a tuperware full of keys. I gave her a polite smile, and she perked up as if to acknowledge me and began to follow me. She continued to follow me until she realized I had my own key, then she scurried back to the elevator. I jokingly mentioned to my BF that maybe they were conducting a sting or something. Well his interest was piqued and he watched her from our peep hole as she got on her walkie talkie and then proceeded to unlock the door to the room next to us. About two minutes later, the elevator door opened and a scantily dressed woman led a man in a business suit into the now open room and more 'business' ensued. Fake screams and all. We decided we didn't need to stick around and listen so we left for an hour. When we got back, they were showering and left about 15 minutes later. I heard a noise in the hallway a short-time later and peeped out to see the same hotel worker carrying some cleaning supplies into the room. 10 minutes later, she was gone and I looked at our bed disturbingly. Since the last 9 nights we had normal guests as neighbors, I knew the room next door wasn't reserved for special 'business'.

The idea that the hotel was in on the 'business' just blew me away. Anyway, it was a crappy experience, but makes for funny stories now that I can tell people I was mistaken for a 'lady of the night' while staying in HK.

All in all a bad hotel. It smelled like sewage too and the lobby is not on the ground floor.

Don't stay here. But if you do, the cleaners down the street are cheap and super convenient.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kkrrr

Travelers are raving about these Hong Kong hotels

Muscatine, Iowa
Reviewed June 24, 2011

I am currently staying at the King's Hotel and I wish I wasn't. If you go here expecting to keep in touch with your business through the internet you can forget it. The internet does not work and they have promised for two days to look into it. Nothing done so far. The staff seems nice. But as in all things in Chinese business (I have found out) they tell you what you want to hear then ignore the situation. Rooms are very small. If you don't expect anything other that purely Spartan accomodations. Then I'm sure you will be fine. If you actually are expectign something 1/2 way nice. Forget it!!!

If you have a reservation here. Change it fast!!!!!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank saylestx
sydney
Reviewed November 25, 2010

As a travel agent of 40 years and on holidays I tried the Kings Hotel. They gave me a room right beside the reception,so one step to the left and press a secret panel and there was my room. I said surely you have something better but reception said but you have a window. When ever I entered my room I said Abracadabra and vanished to the suprise of guests gathered in the foyer.
I have slept in thousands of beds throughout the world but this was the hardest and most uncomfortable bed that I have yet tried. An Indian Holyman use to a bed of nails would have complained. Like many hotels in the East you are treated like a criminal as they take a credit card imprint for the room and a further deposit which is refundable when the determine that you have not run off with the bed or sheets or anything else not nailed down. The good points are it's location and roof top bar which would be great if you had a group.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
tokyo
Reviewed October 31, 2010

Is this the worst hotel I have ever stayed at? No. But the price / quality ratio has to be the lowest ever in 15+ years of traveling overseas.
The price was over 150USD, I've been far cheaper for budget rooms in Paris/Manhattan/Tokyo, etc.
I was given the "dungeon" room, by far the smallest, no windows, the bed takes 90% of the room so I have to crawl from the tip of the bed to get in bed, there is no bathroom per say, but a toilet and a shower without any separation so you can smell the toilet from the bed that is 2 feet away. For some reason the installed the biggest sink on the smallest counter so you have no way to place anything on the said counter. There's also a small kitchen counter and another sink that serve no purpose since both sink are withing 2 feet of each other, no work space, the hardest bed I have ever been in.
The noise from the other room can be heard, the doors are hard to open and make a loud noise, so when someone goes in or out, you wake up, the staff makes round at 1am with their walky talky in full volume.
And don't let me get started about the elevators. I'll just say that it took me 10, yes, 10 minutes to go up, grab something and comeback down.
Unless your life depends on it, stay away from this place.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank tokyopunk
Medan, Indonesia
Reviewed October 13, 2010

Beside the spotless clean bed sheet and pillows, the room is very small, and have no window. the location is close to ferry terminal to kowloon from wanchai, but quite far from MTR station.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed April 26, 2010

I would not stay at this hotel again if my life depended on it! The staff is very rude, the rooms are tiny, the beds are not comfortable. I was propositioned 4 times within 2 hours on my arrival night by a man and his "women" as if they lived in the hotel looking for service. Stay away unless you don't care!

Stayed April 2010, traveled on business